X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Tis happen?

I take well rooted cutting from humid bin with small leaf. Softly plant in cup with moist soil and no more water with cup ontop with bin lid off and heat Matt underside. They look belle in moss... I put in expensive soil with over cup and then look like cazzo.... First two photo ok last two start to shrivel and no Bueno
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

AAH, the frustration of rooting cuttings...
    I personally don't like to move a cutting with so little green. Something that size might not have enough roots to support itself through transplant shock. I wait until I see a couple of larger leaves, which seems to be a sign that the roots are doing their job.

Comment

Could be the humidity is to low,even with the cup over the cutting.
      Or stress or sudden shock from being removed from comfortable evironment.
      New Bern NC Zone 8a ,Wish list : Col de Dame Rimada ,Galica Negra

Comment

Originally posted by Rui View Post
        AAH, the frustration of rooting cuttings...
        I personally don't like to move a cutting with so little green. Something that size might not have enough roots to support itself through transplant shock. I wait until I see a couple of larger leaves, which seems to be a sign that the roots are doing their job.

Rui I was hoping you may be able to give me some insight on my Misfortune. I purchased 2 lovely Col de Dame Noir cuttings from Harvey C... I rooted both in CoCo Coir... The first cutting was average size I guess, and emerged out of the Coir bin with Monster roots. I cupped it and it is leafing out nicely with an incredible root sytem...I even give it outdoor Sun... However my Other cutting looks like it's time may be up.. I pulled it from the bin with two tiny little roots poking out and cupped it...Big mistake...The 2 baby roots it had look unhealthy and haven't grown, the 2 Buds that had cracked open exposing some green turned brown and dried... I still have hope though...This cutting is enormously thick...it's base is thicker then some 3 year old Trees I've seen started from cuttings. So I'm doubtful, but very hopful it will reroot in the Coir Bin. It has 1 bud left on the bottom that still seems intact as well. I just hope the cutting has a chance of recovering from the shock I put it through, A cutting this size should have a good amount of stored energy left if the Shock didn't do it in.

Comment

So I should of left in the bin until heavy heavy roots? They both had at least 12,2 inch and longer roots or should I put them into the seeding bin with clear ventable Lid and heat mat and really keep them humid I thought the humidity was just for during the rooting process so it didn't dry out? And once I see green with good root is time to take out of humid slowly??

Comment

This is the phase where you must do things with very little shock to the plant. After rooting in a coco coir, I placed them in this bin with a clear cover and placed them by the sliding door where it gets periods of sun. The roots are growing very thick and fast. If I open the lid for more than a few minutes, the leaves begin to droop. It's going to take a lot of patience to transition these until I get more roots. I tried timing this with my weather, so by late May, everything can go outside with similar humidity and constant warmer temps. It's a tricky phase. Good luck.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
            Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

I should add, in the picture above, the ones without many leaves were just placed in the bin, right from the rooting box. The ones with leaves have been there for a few weeks.
              Also, the one with the additional lid was a cutting without any roots. I am testing to see how it does in this environment.
              Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Wow great job! For now just Tis morning I take 4 pictures cupped cuttings and removed top cup but placed them into a seedling bin with vent able sides and top over heat mat with wet paper towels inside to create humidity. If they do well with humidity I figure I can let them go a bit longer (planted in cupping mix) in this dome where they can grow bigger and not be so easily shockable as well as accidental overwatering. I think next I will try rich method. Seems very detail and If followed correctly should be great results.

Comment

Sounds good. My humidity bin keeps the soil just perfect. I doubt I'll need to add water for a while.
                  Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Encouraging, but not yet...
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

...almost...
                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

...Now!
                        At this stage, there should be some active growth, with an inch or two of stem (branch) growth. This year I've been uppotting from these homemade landscape fabric pots. I drop them into a larger pot and pack MG around them and water them. After a week in the humidity box, they really start taking off. About half of them don't wilt when they spend time outside the bin.
                        The scary thing for me (and what's caused the most failures this year) is when leaves are forming, and I see no roots.
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Waow!!

That looks wonderful! I am jealous! You have great system! I will get it down someday. I no give up.

Comment

Working...
                          X