X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a cutting re-root after initial roots die?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1747.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	16198 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1746.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	16199 Hey guys...so out of my 2 Col De Dame Noir cuttings... the smallest one which was scored and had dip n gro apllied shot off like a rocket with incredible root growth...was cupped up and is performing nicely with extensive roots and a beginning leaf set that looks healthy.

Meanwhile my other cutting is possibly done for. This cutting was not scored and only had 2 tiny baby roots poking out with 2 cracked open green buds...I cupped it the same time as the other, but no change after 5 days and both green buds dried and turned brown...so I panicked took out the cutting... Roots showed no growth and looked unhealthy while the other cutting has roots throughout the cup... I put on the superman cape and decided maybe it could be salvaged considering there was 2 buds unopened that still look healthy... I decided to throw it back in my Co Co Coir bin... No change after 3 days, some mild mold at the bottom which i scrubbed with a toothbrush and Neem Oil. I scored it and had a healthy looking green cambium layer...also applied some Dip N grow. 2 Buds still look healthy with a green layer slightly exposed. The other 2 buds appear to be healing as it seems it formed a new shell almost...

Guys I'm hopeful for a good prognosis...has anyone ever encountered a Laserus cutting come back from the dead? I have some gut feeling that due to the size of cutting, with it being thicker then some trunks of the 2-3 year cuttings I've seen....just maybe it has plenty of reserve Energy to root again???
    Last edited by Claymango; 04-21-2015, 11:42 PM.

I've had my share of cuttings that came back from the dead. I abandoned a handful of them in my growing box at the end of last spring, took them for goners. Months later, when I finally got around to cleaning the box, some of them had sprouted. They had no light for months!
    Of course, once I took them out and gave them some TLC, a couple of them died, but that part of the story is something else
    By the way, I meant to tell you in the other thread: congratulations on the CDDN rooting. If this one also roots, it's just a bonus. Your other one will give you cuttings in the Fall, so getting one of two is a huge success.

Comment

Thanks Rui

I just wished I didn't let my impatience get the best of me... if I had let the cutting sit just a few days longer in the Coir bin to get a better root structure...It probably would be taking off right about now....We'll see what happens.

Comment

I've had a few come back from the dead, too. When I thought they were dead and tossed them aside and then ignored them, they rooted. I'm still finding some of the "dead" cuttings from last September rooting now.
        USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

There's a good chance it will still root. Some cuttings, even those from the same batch just take longer. Sometimes this is a good thing, maybe for some reason something happens to your front runners and you lose them, then you have backup which came from your slower cuttings. I hate to admit it but it's happened to me on multiple occasions that a slower cutting turned out to be my savior for a variety. So, just have patience and maybe only check them once a week. I'm sure most of us could tell you that willing them to have roots does not make roots appear any faster.
          Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
          Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

What we go through as parents...
            Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

CdDN was hard for me to root. My first cutting from a generous forum member sat in it's baggie for two-three months- nothing. I gave up on it, bought two more on eBay and one of those died. Then two weeks ago I checked the baggie, and the first CdDN had a little green bump on it. I potted it up with the green bump just under the medium, thinking maybe I only had one viable node. (it was the last one in the baggie). I checked it today and was surprised to see three big long roots on the side of the cup. I think it's going to make it. The rooted second CdDN was moved up to a gallon pot yesterday and looks great.
              Mara, Southern California,
              Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

Working...
              X