X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rub a dub dub, 4 figs in a jug!

Black Mission and Texas Blue Giant in a gallon jug, 3 weeks.
    Attached Files
    Wish List - Any LSU fig

That's some Chia Pet stuff going on there!
    Nice.

Comment

• noss
      noss commented
      Editing a comment
      It's upside down. What beautiful roots it has, though. Baby needs to be flipped over.

Is that dip n grow haha!
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

I was gonna ask if there was some dip n grow or something as well. I'm still new to this game, but I've rooted upwards of 25-30 cuttings now, and I've never seen anything like that. The most I've seen is maybe 6-8 roots coming out of the bottom of a cutting...most just have 2-4. Am I doing something wrong, or do you just have to get super lucky to get one of those?

To be fair, one of my brooklyn white cuttings went absolutely nuts about a week after I potted it up...maybe 15-20 roots hitting the side of the cup all at once. But I've never encountered this while they're still in rooting media.
      Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Sometimes I think that's a better way of rooting figs.
        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

So... Was it Dip N Grow? I have never used hormone, but maybe I will try if I get results like this.
          Brian
          Carolina Zone 7b/8a Wanted: Col De Dame

Comment

• Taverna78
            Taverna78 commented
            Editing a comment
            Dip n grow is very strong rooting hormone. I now use CloneX. Where if you don't have right conditions like these other members have to root successfully then the hormone is not bad idea. I've rooted 100% success with CloneX one part one application gel and results in as little As 4 days. Dip in grow I mixed way too strong and had so many roots coming out of entire cutting every where. Too bottom sides I was just a stick of roots. And it did not live because it make too many roots. If any CloneX is way to go.

I do use any type of rooting hormone now, I did not see any advantage when I did try in in the early days. The jug is a humidity chamber, there is no real reason to believe that soil or water are the only thing that roots will thrive in, Bromiliads (sp??) and moss air root and thrive in high humidity. Remember what the air is comprised of, 75-80% Nitrogen, which we buy in a bag, also known as fertilizer, if I remember my 4th grade science correctly.
          Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

Fig plants can't turn N2 (Atmospheric Nitrogen) into a form the plant can use. Peas. beans, clovers and a few others have bacteria associated with their roots that can make that conversion and they're called nitrogen fixing bacteria. The fig is rooting into the combination of moisture and air that it likes. It's probably upside down Also, as you already know, the medium may be too wet.
            Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Again, not upside down. Too wet, yes! Growing the cuttings in the gallon jug is touchy on the moisture and require close attention. When the air roots happen, I immediately pull them and ether plant them horizontal, or cut them into smaller cuttings, most generally, I cut them into smaller cuttings, depends on the quality of the roots beneath the surface.

Thanks, never knew about the N2, how do the mosses and Bromeliads do it? is it that they don't require the Nitrogen?
              Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

• noss
                noss commented
                Editing a comment
                Though I can't see it clearly, it sure looks like the leaf scar is below that bottom bud. It is kind of twisted-looking. Don't get mad at me, OK? Does this happen frequently? If so, how? Because if I can't get cuttings to get roots on the bottoms of them, I'd be okay with them getting roots at the tops! Roots anywhere would be all right with me.

Gene rooted some cuttings where the whole cutting was full of roots. It's all I can do to even get the cuttings to think about putting out roots. Then, the year I got almost everything to root, the fungus gnats killed almost all of them.

I'm so grateful for the people who have provided me with air layers, rooted growing cuttings and little plants.

Viv

Danny,
              Thanks for sharing the photo and info.

Viv ( noss ).
              If you get the Temperature and Humidity just right fig cuttings will root in moist warm air only. Its the same principle as most still air egg incubators. Attached are pictures of air roots forming at ~ 3 weeks in a seedling tray with 7" humidity dome. The cuttings were treated with Dip N Grow hormone @ 15X dilution (on the bottom end only) and stuck in moist Coir potting mix.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0597.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	16673 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0603.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	335.2 KB
ID:	16674
              Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Viv - I could never get mad at you, lol, you are a pillar and I appreciate everything I have learned from you. Lets do another get together.
                Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

Originally posted by dkirtexas View Post
                  Black Mission and Texas Blue Giant in a gallon jug, 3 weeks.
                  Texas Blue Giant fruit - 2015
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Working...
                  X