X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Papa tree cutting/hormone/ vs

Well 2 week from I cut down papa tree. I send most cutting out and keep some for me to try root. Very little success reported. Couple member get them to root as well as I but it would not be normal for me to have it go correctly. So I do some with CloneX suggested by my ourfig mentor and I also did some with sample bottle of dip and grow from my friend and new member "Butts" from his store.
    I have used clonex with great success in past but never dip n grow.
    I was told d&g is very potent and has ruined cuttings because it produced TOO many root and all the cuttings energy went to roots instead of leaf or fig. I will agree to both. D&G works great at suggested 4:1 ratio. But it also works too great(see attached photos)
    Clonex= rooting and initials only where is applied. Not as large of root as d&g but worked perfectly as in past.
    D&G is different story.... Applied same as clonex.. Score bottom1/2 inch dip and rest in moss. Roots and initials completely cover cutting crazy!! (You will know difference in photos)
    My question is the initials rub off very easy. Can I rub them off to normal rioting level and cup will grow into tree or is just going to be a ball of roots and just bury entire thing and hope for a shoot? I will say tis much if I knew was safe I put d&g where I lose my hair or better yet in my bank account ahaha!! These are the same cutting I send out so whoever got some have faith!!
    Grazie friends!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

I started the process of mine on 4/18. They've just been sitting in a bag of moist coco coir to hydrate. I haven't used any rooting gels/powders and so far one cutting is looking like it wants to kick out roots in two spots (Picture #3 kinda shows one spot). I hope they grow even with the node damage.

Alma from Maryland 7b

Comment

Get it Alma! Show member is possible ! She will root! Look great even with rabbit bite on side! Ahahaha!

Comment

I have been using Dip N' Gro and planting directly in cups filled with a mixture of 3 part coir and 1 part perlite and have been pretty happy with the results. The only thing is I was using a much more diluted solution of 1 part DNG to 10 parts water (not the 4:1 you mentioned). Maybe that could be the difference.
        Bill - Long Island, NY 7a
        Wish List: Glacia Negra and any fig from Bari.

Comment

I read on Internet professor do experiment with d&g and say for best result 4:1 was best. I try and you see result. Too much

Comment

Thanks for sharing your progress photos and info.

How many parts Dip N Grow to parts Water?

Clonex is only 3000 ppm IBA hormone.
            The attached Dip N Grow chart includes the recommended manufacturers "Dilution" (5X, 10X, 15X and 20X) and shows ppm of IBA and NAA hormones. My best overall growth of lignified fig cuttings has been at 10X and 15X dilutions. Good Luck.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	DnG_Dilutions.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	16445
            Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• Taverna78
              Taverna78 commented
              Editing a comment
              I did dip n grow pure concentrate to the fill line on bottom of product cup (maybe1/4in) then fill with water to x5 line. So is 4:1

• AscPete
              AscPete commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks.
              That's 2000 ppm IBA and 1000 ppm NAA.
              1:4 ratio or 5X dilution (as marked on the measuring cup and the attached chart)

• Taverna78
              Taverna78 commented
              Editing a comment
              AsePete,

Tis is bad mix? Why I get Patso root ?

Never rub off a root! Start feeding them 1/2 houseplant strength miracle grow or other very dilute fertilizer. They will produce shoots & leaves soon. Put them under bright lights or in the sun with at least half the plant in a well draining soil. With roots that size I'd use 3/4 perlite, 1/4 peat moss.
            Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• Taverna78
              Taverna78 commented
              Editing a comment
              I not rub off roots just I think called initials? From half way and up. There is so many root on bottom I figured I didn't want the entire cutting all root but I have many more like tis so I will not do again. I only rub 3 cutting

Originally posted by Harborseal View Post
            Never rub off a root! Start feeding them 1/2 houseplant strength miracle grow or other very dilute fertilizer. They will produce shoots & leaves soon. Put them under bright lights or in the sun with at least half the plant in a well draining soil. With roots that size I'd use 3/4 perlite, 1/4 peat moss.

So you're saying the initials that I rubbed off if I would of gave fertilizer instead of the initials making roots on the trunk it would instead make branch from same initial? I ask because I am consider doing air layer on my tree that is pencil diameter (I never do air layer before but I have best help from my friends) the tree is about 3 feet tall.
            To keep the tree as one and pick couple spots in trunk could make mini air layer without wounding the tree and once initials show from hormone remove layer and leave them in open air to form branch?

Comment

I've used D&G, but I use the 15:1 dilution and it works OK.
              USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

Working...
              X