X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before and after Pictures.

Just a little update on cuttings started this year. The first picture was taken on 2/10/15, the second 2/25/15, the last one taken today 4/24/15. I cant believe how big they've grown in a couple of months. Thanks to all the knowledge gained from the members and quality cuttings offered on ebay from the members here. Good luck growing this season!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Quy
    SoCal, Zone 9b

Excellent progress Q. I hope you have a great summer.
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Good job "Q." !
      newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Nothing like being in Phoenix to stimulate strong, early growth!
        Rafael
        Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

Thanks guys! This summer is going to be scary....not sure how they are going to hold up to 115 deg F of dry heat....
          Quy
          SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

• greenfig
            greenfig commented
            Editing a comment
            Most of them will be fine!
            I do two things in the SoCal, introduce the figs to the sun as early as possible starting from the Spring, and keep the pots cool in the summer. You can shade them with anything, paper, bricks, wood, or bury the pots. They will tolerate your crazy sun much better when the pots are cool and watered.

• Q*
            Q* commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the encouragement greenfig! I know i'm gonna feel bad for them when i look outside my window when i'm inside with nice air conditioning while they bake outside hahahaha I think i'm going to leave them under the tree and have the sprinkler system spray them every other night.

Q*,
          Thanks for sharing your progress photos and info.
          Continued good luck.

What are you using as fertilizer? and What's your fertilizer schedule? Thanks.
          Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Funny you ask Pete, you suggested All purpose Miracle Gro to me 3 weeks ago so i gave it a shot. I mentioned that they seemed like they stalled/ stopped growing....and as soon as i started fertilizing they exploded! The figs are grown in Promix HP with a little extra perlite. I use one teaspoon miracle gro to one gallon of water fertilized once a week. (each pot gets 1 gallon of water) I experimented with the fig cuttings i have growing in California by fertilizing with fresh chicken manure (we have chickens)...i put the manure around the base of the plants and just water the top and it works its way down to the roots.... and they are even bigger than the ones i have in Phoenix!
            Quy
            SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

So how well does aparagus grow in a pot?
              Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
              Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Calvin.....its my first year, i just re-potted yesterday and the whole pot was filled with large roots...so next year the shoots should be big enough to eat(probably the size of a pencil) . I have a friend that grows them in pots and they are really productive for him( his are 4 years old). He told me you have to let them grow two years to develop a strong root system before you harvest.
                Quy
                SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

Working...
                X