X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My fig orchard is growing

My original 14 fig trees are planted near my house and along my driveway. In August 2013 I started my new fig orchard with about 2/3 of the 138 spots (3 rows, 46 trees each) planted at that time with the remaining spots filled in the summer of 2014. In March I removed 15 of those trees because they were duplicates or triplicates and not really needed that badly. I was sort of proud of myself showing the discipline to actually get rid of something I didn't need! Now I've added another 3 rows with room for 140 more trees. Between yesterday and today we got 77 of those spaces planted. In the attached photo you can see 4 trees which I've protected with wind breaks (frost cloth) as they were fairly large trees accustomed to the easy life in my greenhouse and I wanted to give them some protection for the winds. I have more trees that should be ready in 4-12 weeks but I'm not sure I'll get all of the spaces filled in this year. At the same time, I'm not sure if I have enough spaces for all the other trees I've got started.

I have 16 different caprifigs and my current plans are to keep these in 15 gallon pots until I decide which of them I want to keep and where I might want to plant them. I don't want them planted too closely to my other figs as excess pollination can lead to spitting.

I believe I have 208 varieties planted in the ground plus the 16 caprifigs and maybe another 50 or so (?) in earlier stages. I hope I can make it back down to maybe 100 of the best some day.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

More photos can be viewed at https://www.facebook.com/Figaholics

Comment

Nice spread! I will be looking forward to the orchard updates.
      Brian
      Carolina Zone 7b/8a Wanted: Col De Dame

Comment

Looks really great, Harvey. Visiting your place is such a learning experience, and you're adding to it all the time. Keep it up.
        Gary USDA 9A
        Sebastopol, CA

Comment

Harvey C,
          Thanks for sharing the photos, info and link to your Facebook page.

What are the spacing between plants and rows? Thanks.
          Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• HarveyC
            HarveyC commented
            Editing a comment
            Pete, spacing is 16' between rows and 12' within the row

Harvey wonderful ! You are very lucky but I hope to surpass you some day😉 OH! Hey "Rat killer" want to add a hitman to you rat killing team? (Men's size 14 shoe) Chicago alley rat
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
          Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
          1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
          2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Nice Harvey. I would really like to visit in a few years because you are really making a great orchard. Why oh why do you live so far away?
            Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• HarveyC
              HarveyC commented
              Editing a comment
              Because you don't live in California!

Even if you pare down to 100 varieties you'll still want 2 - 5 of each, right?
            Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

I'm not sure what I would/will do if scaled back to 100. If I decide to do commercial fruit sales, I might evens scale back to less than 100 and have 25 trees each of the top 4-6 commercial prospects and 1 tree each of the others. The whole process is evolving and, as I get older, I don't know how much more work I want to make for myself.

Comment

Working...
              X