X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brebas 2015

Lyndhurst White pushed a number of brebas early but they stayed small. Meanwhile other breba varieties continued to swell. Photos of some of those here: Dark Portuguese, Grantham's Royal and White Triana, Emerald Strawberry 143-36, O'Rourke, Vista, Zingarella.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 7 photos.
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

I have good breba set on Sweet George, Lattarula, and Galbun. Other varieties have ones and twos, nothing special.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      I've heard that from others too. Mine is a 2nd year TC plant, I was surprised at the breba already.

• jkuo
      jkuo commented
      Editing a comment
      Tony, my Italian Honey, which should theoretically be a Lattarula, was by far my most productive tree (breba and main crop) last year. Granted, I am comparing my IH to a whopping two other young trees that produced. I'm surprised your Lattarula didn't do much.

• mountainfigs
      mountainfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Last two years nothing with the Lattarula. I should have looked into it by now. I didn't expect a second year of no production.

Edit add-on: just pulled it from 7 gallon pot, essentially rootbound at about a 1 or 2 gallon size, surely has been that way since purchasing it a couple years ago from EL on sale. Never prioritized it and neglected it. Will see what it can do now that it is hopefully well enough unbound.
      Last edited by mountainfigs; 04-28-2015, 09:02 PM.

Mine with several brebas include Peter's Honey, Abebereira, Rob's Genovese Nero, Osborne Prolific, VdB, CdD Gris and Blackjack.
    Gary USDA 9A
    Sebastopol, CA

Comment

• mountainfigs
      mountainfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Also have a first year Abebereira producing a few nice breba, plus Negronne and VDB. Abebereira (or Berbera, etc) doing better than the latter two, currently.

My Italian Honey is setting 8 small breba. I had a couple on my Celeste, but I suspect those will just fall off. I had a few breba on my Hardy Chicago, but I knocked them all off. I read somewhere that they were mediocre tasting in comparison to the main crop, so I figured I'd let the tree focus its energy on growing.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Johnny
    Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

I had one on my Sweet George, and accidentally tore it off doing the shuffle. I'm surprised it had any since I kept it from going dormant over winter.
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Petit Negra(RT), RdB, and Chicago Hardy had the most of all my trees. I removed all but 4 on the PN, 3 on the RdB, and 2 on the HC. The others that I left some on were Carini(I left them all on but I think there is only 4 or 5), CdG it left 2, Union Berry all have fallen but 2, oh and I left one on my Filacciano Bianco just to get a taste. All others have been knocked off or aborted very early on by the plant.
        Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
        Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• jmaler
          jmaler commented
          Editing a comment
          I am new to the world of figs. Please enlighten me as to what the (RT) on Petit Negra stands for.

• cis4elk
          cis4elk commented
          Editing a comment
          RT=Raintree Nursery, where I bought the plant from. Some varieties of figs tend to have variability depending on who sold them. So, I feel that my Petit Negra is a little different than some others I have seen so I add the (RT) to the end just to keep it clear. It's a very good fig.

Getting over 100 brebas from the following in ground trees:

Desert King
        Granthams Royal
        Yugo Yellow
        Latarrula
        Osborne Prolific
        RdB -- 1st time so many brebas. Tree is in bush form.

Question is how many will hang on. Will know by end of May. Other good producers for their size have been:

Nardi Black, Ariane, Brunswick, Lynhurst White, Verns BT,
        Vincenzo, Maltese Red, Conadria, Large Black Greek, Paradiso(not sure Dusan's or Adriano's)
        Enrico, Gieshbulb, 3 Lost Tag Variants, Barbillone, Morena, Flanders
        Last edited by paully22; 04-28-2015, 06:07 AM. Reason: Adding more variants

Comment

• Kelby
          Kelby commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, interesting on the RdB. Not unheard of for brebas but certainly not common, especially so many!

• mountainfigs
          mountainfigs commented
          Editing a comment
          Paully, what growing zone are you in?

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          Paul,
          I remember a recent comment about your use of "fruiting fertilizer" in the spring.
          What is your fertilizer application (analysis and procedure) in the spring, before and or after bud break? Thanks

RdB - I am surprise too. Never before but this season the winter and spring have been warmer
        and it is an in ground tree with many branches as I pinch. It's sister in pot culture(large pot)
        have about 10.

Comment

• paully22
          paully22 commented
          Editing a comment
          Zone 6/7. This winter have been warm so is spring. We only had one snow fall like 4".

• cis4elk
          cis4elk commented
          Editing a comment
          I was surprised by my RdB (in pot) too. I understood that RdB is supposed to seldom have brebas. My tree also had 10 or more before I thinned them. We'll see how the quality is. Maybe in the future it will be worth it for me to leave them on. So far my tree has ripened it's first main crop earlier than all my other figs but been just shy of enough time to ripen a second main crop. So if the quality of the breba is good, maybe the better route would be breba crop and the first main crop, followed by removing all the later main crop figs that set.

I'm increasingly wondering if some cultivars that are primarily known and grown for their main crops could also or alternatively become mainstay cultivars for producing a quality breba crop as the primary crop.

Interesting reports especially about the RdBs. I too wonder how many will ripen, and at what quality.
        Tony WV 6b

Comment

RdB brebas are excellent.

Comment

I'm relatively new to fig growing, most of my trees are starting their second year, so too early to say much about brebas on them. However, I have a 3 or 4 year old Chiappetta Unk. that has 25 or so breba, and a larger Adriatic(Grasa) that is possibly the same as Desert King which has about a dozen breba.
            Last edited by eboone; 04-28-2015, 04:24 PM. Reason: added Unknown to the Chiappetta name
            Ed
            SW PA zone 6a

Comment

This is a good thread. Although I'm sure it's been done before, I don't remember a comprehensive breba thread, mostly threads about individual varieties. I feel like for many of us, the breba crop is surrounded by a shroud of mystery and possible half truths. There really is a lot to be learned, especially about how large or percentage of a breba crop a biferous tree can carry without retarding the onset and ripening of the main crop.

Comment

Tony,
                Thanks for starting this topic. Its been my experience that most cultivars will produce breba if the trees (branches) are protected from freezing cold temperatures and or are grown in milder zones.

My thoughts about breba are similar to Calvin's, for most 2 crop cultivars they (breba) may slow growth and production of main crop figs. Breba crops are more important in milder zones with short cool summers like the Pacific Northwest where they may be the only figs that ripen in their short season. One cultivar (BryantDark) that I've observed over several seasons produces a large quantity of breba figs but they ripen only 2 -3 weeks before the main crop figs. When the breba are eliminated main crop figs on those branches ripen sooner and are slightly larger.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1474.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	17181
                Last edited by AscPete; 04-28-2015, 11:08 PM. Reason: added photo of Breba and Main Crop figs taken July 19, 2013.
                Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• AscPete
                  AscPete commented
                  Editing a comment
                  To "manage the trees for brebas" would require additional winter limb protection and pruning technique similar to those for Desert King (San Pedro) without caprification. If the main crop figs were removed then the breba should develop larger and sooner.

A modified Japanese pruning technique could be tried for container grown San Pedro types and varieties with prolific breba, simply pruning back to the 2 nodes in early summer after harvesting the breba crop and keeping the new limbs above freezing temperatures in winter storage.

In any case the brebas and limbs have to be protected during the dormant season.
                  Last edited by AscPete; 04-29-2015, 07:36 AM. Reason: typos.

• Harborseal
                  Harborseal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How did the brebas taste?

• AscPete
                  AscPete commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bob C,
                  Same as maincrop, they are sweet, but not as sweet as Celeste with a rich sweet raspberry flavor and mild seed crunch. The flavors are more intense when they ripen in drier weather

Another reason I never bother too much with main crop has to do with fruit flies. Around mid Sept
                till mid Oct, lots of fruits are ripening. The abundance of fruits and their ripening attracts lots of fruit
                flies.

Comment

Here are the brebas on my large potted unknown. I haven't had brebas on this fig before so it will be interesting to see what they taste like and when they mature. It must have been the sheltered environment of the greenhouse that allowed for brebas to form.
                  Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Every year I get excited by a potential large breba crop, and then one by one they fall off. And I am not talking about false breba that always fall off, like on Preto or CdD. I am talking about eg Negronne, which today has over 30 breba. Last year only about 3-5 ripened. It will be interesting to see how many remain this year. White Genoa: I see over 10 breba, but never, not once, has one ripened for me. A couple of unknowns are loaded as well. Nero 600m has a handful (young plant). MBvs dropped all last year, there are 5-10 this year. I expect most of these will drop. Atreano has 5 (2nd yr plant). Battaglia has set only 2 breba, and that is a more robust plant. I guess until I see different, here is my take: so many breba drop for me, there is no need to pinch or control. So few ripen that they are just not going to detract from main crop growth and ripening.
                    Rafael
                    Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• mountainfigs
                      mountainfigs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Interesting experience. Wish I had a better handle on the most reliable cultivars for breba crops in Appalachia or the northeast. I wonder if the earliest ripening main crop cultivars won't eventually prove to rival anything a high quality breba crop can do in this region.

I stored my trees in a shed with heat, thermostatic controlled on at 20F, off at 30F. My heater failed once, and the trees saw 12F. Another night was so cold the heater couldn't keep up, 15F, and another at 18F.

Paridiso (JM) and Chicago Hardy both have brebas on them. Most of my other trees I am still waiting for buds to swell.
                    Phil
                    Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

As an update, Sweet George and Lattarula lost a couple brebas but the remainder are swelling FAST. Can't believe how big they got the past week with the warm(er) weather.

Galbun brebas are still stuck as itsy figlets...we'll see what happens. I can't find ANY info on Galbun breba figs.
                      SE PA
                      Zone 6

Comment

Best swellers here currently: White Triana, Zingarella, O'Rourke, Vista, Negronne, and Royal Grantham though RG dropped half of the 6 it had. Emerald Strawberry (143-36), Aldo (Palermo Red), and maybe Scott's Black coming on. Alma with potential. A few others should produce something. Lyndhurst White stalled. A couple on Dark Portuguese.
                        Tony WV 6b

Comment

Bump, just updating. Folks are starting to get brebas, so are all your brebas still hanging on? Who's been dropping?

My Hardy Chicago just dropped it's brebas last week, like people said it would. So did Union Berry Unk, my little Filacciano Bianco, and Carini dropped all but one.
                          Still hanging on tight are the Petit Negra(RT), CdDG, and RdB.

Comment

I'm waiting for 8-10 brebas on my Lattarula (pretty good for it's size, I think) and a couple on Sweet George which dropped quite a few. Galbun dropped everything, the one or two on Nero600m and Hardy Chicago also dropped.
                            SE PA
                            Zone 6

Comment

These trees have brebas: VdB, Lebanese Red, Italian Red and Adriatic JH. All are containers trees except Adriatic JH. VdB has the most while the the others only have a handful. During the hot spell we had last week brebas starting dropping on Italian Red and Lebanese Red. I think I have 2-3 remaining on each. Filacciano Bianco's brebas were wiped out in the cold and it is growing back from the base. All in all, not much to write home about. Tony, I agree it might be more productive to focus on earlier ripening cultivars than breba cultivars in cooler areas although it could be worth having one good San Pedro variety that is kept in a container and overwintered in the garage. I guess I should have done that with FB but maybe we will have a normal winter next time and I'll get brebas from it.
                              Steve
                              D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                              WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

Woohoo!!! Not sure if is considered brebas but damnit I got a fig!!! Is only one out of all my trees but I got one! Tis is Green Ischia my friend Hershel sends me rest of my potted trees have pin head size fig look like starting. I still jealous most of you eating fig already and I only must wait. Maybe I snap tis one off and slice like garlic with razor blade and let slices desolve on my tongue ahah!!
                                Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                                1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                                2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• cis4elk
                                  cis4elk commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Fabio, what you have there is a main crop figlet. Easy to recognize by the leaf growing beneath it. Brebas grow from stem of last years growth on the tree. Main crop figs are associated with leaves on this years new growth.

Congratulations on your figlet, I'm sure there will be many more to follow.

• Taverna78
                                  Taverna78 commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I can not wait!
                                  GRAZIE

All brebas dropped off my plants except one on Nero and one on an unknown. That includes Chiappetta(over 20), Emerald Strawberry(1), Adriatic(Grasa)(many), Pied de Boeff(1) and a couple others. Most are young plants, might have been due to the temps hitting 40 degrees one night when I did not do the fig shuffle.
                                Ed
                                SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Steve, that's almost the way it looks to me too at this point: focus on early ripening main crops and a San Pedro type or three.

That said, since Negronne and Vista look promising with breba here, and since others in this thread are similarly mentioning Bordeaux types the most (Petite Negri, VDB, Nero 600m, even RDB), I see potential there. Also Latarulla, Kelby has something going there, and others have recommended it as early. Time and taste though, I think the Bordeaux flavor would be more reliable but the fruit not especially early, whereas the Latarulla could arrive quick but not be especially tasty.

I've had trouble getting a main crop of Bordeaux to ripen before frost here. However, I grow increasingly hopeful that in the future with good tree development I could harvest a large Bordeaux breba crop. I don't know that it would arrive much or at all before a main crop of Ronde, etc, but maybe there are ways to give it a jump-start in early, early spring, or even late winter.

Maybe San Pedro cultivars will prove superior to Bordeaux in productivity and flavor of brebas, and maybe there are some non-Bordeaux, non-San Pedro cultivars that could provide a bounitful breba crop too, but trying to find one with a flavor as good as let alone better than Bordeaux might be a difficult challenge.

In the future, if I do get a flavorful and bountiful Bordeaux breba crop, I would probably strip any main crop that tries to come on, since little might ripen anyway, and I would worry that a main crop could harm breba production the following year.

Bordeaux for breba, that's what I would bet on now, but time will tell.
                                  Tony WV 6b

Comment

Working...
                                  X