X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ficus Pumila x Carica

Found this growing, has no figs at the moment but I do not know if the figs are supposed to be found on it. Will check in the summer, just in case.
    There are 2 slightly different leaf shapes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4134.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	16945 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4136.JPG
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	16946 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4135.JPG
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	16947
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Neat plant! The background looks like UCLA...was that where the picture was taken?
    Quy
    SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

Yeap !

Comment

Very interested in knowing if those will set fruit and, if so, are they fertile. If not they might become fertile with a chromosome doubling similar to what they did with jostaberries. Looking forward to what you find out. Something low growing like this might make for easy protection up here in the north. That and it looks like a great groundcover.
        Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

Forgot to ask, does it climb? From what I've read these hybrids don't have pumila's aerial roots. In your pic it looks well behaved and doesn't seem to be swamping the shrubs, which is super nice.

Comment

Here's a pic of fruit on one of the F. pumila x carica hybrids. Leaves look very much like the one you found. Found this at: http://waynesword.palomar.edu/arbimg10.htm Doesn't say if it's fertile or sterile. Would be interesting to backcross to carica or F2 cross with another hybrid. Might make some nice weeping varieties.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Greg,

I do not believe it climbs.
              Thanks for the photo. I would need to wait for a few months to check on the fruit production. It would be super exiting to find anything edible of course!
              Will see, the update is coming.

This one and the Auriculata I found a few weeks ago deserve an extra trip to satisfy a curiosity .

Comment

When you go back, if you happen to snip off a cutting or two, and you happen to send them to Maine, that would happen to be amazing
                The part of the fig wasp would then be played by Greg Martin

Comment

If I happen to be there in 2-3 weeks and happen to walk by with a shears in hand, and happen to have a few plastic bags to ship them right away since a PO is nearby, then by a complete accident or a post office error, the cuttings could be re routed to Maine

Btw, how are the seedlings? Any survivors?

Comment

Seedlings surviving and thriving from each of the seed groups you sent me (including the Turkish)...hopefully something interesting results from these. They are a joy to watch growing. If one of them is great I will have to name it Igor!!! Thank you again. I love growing seedlings.

Comment

Working...
                    X