X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up potting advice

I am getting ready to up pot some of my rooted fig cuttings and in need of some advice. I have one, two, five and fifteen gallon pots and my concern is what size pot to put them into. Should I start small and repot later in the season or just repot into a five or fifteen gallon size. Advice please?
    Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Dave, my general rule is that I move them to the next size up. One gal to five and five to ten etc. However, when I have
    a very fast growing variety I sometimes will jump up two sizes like one gal to a ten gal.
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Dave,

I'm with Newnandawg, cuttings to 1 gals. to 5 gals. then to 10 gals.

One reason why up potting is often recommended is to protect the roots from excess moisture when using a water retentive mix, but its not as critical when using a fast draining mix. I usually wait until the container is "full of roots" or forms a "plug" before up potting. Good Luck.
      Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Last year I went from 1 gallon to 3 gallon (May) to 6 gallon(July). It happened so fast I am cutting out the 3 gallon step this year.
        Phil
        Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          Its been my experience that the intermediate sizes (2 - 4 gallons) can be skipped especially if the young trees are on a good "Fertilizer Schedule".

Pete can you elaborate on your feeding schedule?

Comment

Thank all for the advice. I up potted today and went with one gallon for the cultures and two gallon on the rooted cuttings. Now if we can only get this darn cold wind to stop, I'll be able to shuffle them out to the shade to start.
        Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

Guys is it ok to go from a full rooted cupped Fig directly into the ground to establish a good root system?

Comment

Depending on your climate...

In Texas I would go from the baggie to the ground with okay results. I did not keep good notes, but I do not remember my success rate was too far off from those going from baggie to cup. The key factor (at least for me) was timing. The rooted cuttings had to be in the ground early enough for the tree to establish roots to support the top of the tree before summer set in. Generally, if it wasn't in by March 01 (for central Texas in a field without shade), it would struggle to survive.

I did not like planting trees with the container growing mix still attached. The ground soil is much heavier and is much more affected by gravity/water pulling forces than on the container mix. Consequently, I found it difficult to keep the tree watered, and it seemed to take much longer for the roots to work their way into native soil.

Again, this is what I experienced in Central Texas. By May we would have what most of the country considers to be hot weather. What happens in other areas might be different.
            Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
            N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

I really do not want to put cupped figs into pots if possible...I would much rather my figs go directly into soil to become better acclimated to our California Clay as soon as possible which is extremely Thick. I do it with every bare root tree....however not sure how fragile a cupped fig is and if it suffers from transplant shock at that stage...

Comment

Working...
              X