X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else growing figs in OH

This is my first year growing figs. I started 8 cuttings under grow lights around November and one actually has a fig on new growth that is stuck at about the size of a quarter. Hopefully, it makes it and I can get a couple more figs this year with their extended growing season from being indoors.

I'll be putting them in 5 gallon sub irrigation buckets when it warms up a little bit more. Right now they are about 2-3' in 1 gallon pots. I trimmed one to about 1.5 - 2 ft to see if I can get it to branch out more.

My current cuttings are mostly unknown varieties other than a Green Ischia and one that was labeled "White" but I'm hoping to get some known cuttings soon and maybe try burying some in 5 gallon buckets with one inch holes along the side for the growing season so that I can fairly easily uproot them for storage in the garage. I'm not sure how many years I could keep uprooting the 5 gallon buckets or how large I could get the trees to be using that method yet.

The forum has been very helpful so far. Thank you everyone for the helpful information.

-Don

My wishlist: Marseilles Black VS, Ronde de Bordeaux (RdB), Danny's Delight, Hardy Chicago EL, Florea, Sal's EL, Malta Black, LaRadek's EBT (English Brown Turkey), Takoma Violet, Brooklyn White, Panachee, Marylane Seedless
    Last edited by don_sanders; 08-22-2017, 11:35 AM.
    Don - OH Zone 5b/6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Craven's Craving, Calderona, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba

Welcome to the forum Don. You had better be collecting a lot of buckets, there are a lot of enablers here and having a wish list is a good idea. The only one that I want is the ones that I don't have so get ready for a life altering experience when figs take over.
    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Hi Don and welcome. I'm about an hr south of you, just outside of Chillicothe. Later in the season I'm sure I can help you out with your wish list.
      Jeff in 6a

Comment

Haha. Yes, I've been collecting lots of buckets. I was able to get a bunch from local restaurants to get me started....mostly pickle buckets. I have them on the deck airing out. Girlfriend says that they are an eye sore. Hopefully, she'll think they look better with beautiful figs growing in them.

That would be wonderful figherder. It would greatly be appreciated.

Don - OH Zone 5b/6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Craven's Craving, Calderona, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba

Comment

I am an hour south of Cleveland.
          NE Ohio, Zone 6a. Wishlist: Planera, Verdolino (Mario’s), Dominick, Hollier

Comment

Working...
          X