X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here they come!

First fig of the season. An RDB breba. Yum!

If anyone sees any varieties that don't look right, feel free to post or PM me.

2017 Ripening order and grow log.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Last edited by don_sanders; 10-23-2017, 01:31 PM.
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Mine didn't do a Brebba this year 😔
    Starting collection over due to hard frost and neglect from traveling for work (lost close to 60 varieties). Looking for Sodus Sicilian, and anything else worth while

Comment

• don_sanders
      don_sanders commented
      Editing a comment
      RDB usually won't and not many of it does. I only have 3 out of 3 trees.

I just picked up an airlayer this spring. I've heard these taste really good. Guess I'll have to wait.

Comment

Excellent! Just had my first one this morning for breakfast. Knew I forgot something--measure the weight. Pics to come in it's own thread.
      Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

Up next is an unknown #7 breba. Needed a couple more days but I picked it with the cracking and 24 hours of rain.

It drops figs like Celeste but has quite a few breba unlike Celeste.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
        Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

My first figs of the season. Atreano. Not as good as the later crop, but figgy!
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
          Zea
          Watsonville, CA. zone 9
          New wishlist July 2021 - Black Zadar, Burgan, Zaffiro, Acciano

Comment

• grasshopper
            grasshopper commented
            Editing a comment
            You have been eating blueberries all summer!! Did you plant them or buy from store? If plant, which varieties work well in CA. I have been thinking out planting them in containers. Figgy How do you get the emoji in?

• Zeamaizing
            Zeamaizing commented
            Editing a comment
            We have a third of an acre of blueberries. (Also about half an acre of figs) we like the southern high bush varieties Southmoon, New Hanover, Jewel, and Camellia.

• grasshopper
            grasshopper commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for the tips. I am adding them on my wish list. I don't have that much land though. I 'll have to figure out where to plant them. The high bush ones are easier to pick. I wasn't sure which ones would cross pollinate better and grow well in our climate.

Today it's Lattarolla and Green Ischia. Shouldn't the Green Ischia be red inside? Is that a breba thing?

Atreano, Lattarulla, and Nero 600M coming up soon.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

• don_sanders
            don_sanders commented
            Editing a comment
            bamafig Sadly, I think you are right. This one will probably go in the burn pile.

• richardk
            richardk commented
            Editing a comment
            What's wrong with White Marsaille? Is it not a good tasting fig? I just got a small tree, I thought it would be good. Please let me know

Thanks

• don_sanders
            don_sanders commented
            Editing a comment
            richardk I don't think you see White Marseilles on many top 10 lists but I haven't really had enough to really decide if I like them yet or not. I've liked Golden Celeste and Peter's Honey (when the don't split) better so far.

My White Marseilles haven't been very productive yet and I think I have around 3-4 now with the mislabeled figs.

Oops. Missed one. Will's Folly aka FMV Free Black Ischia Yellow.

Tasted similar to the yellow Green Ischia but a little better. I may need to let them hang a little longer.

So far RDB has been the best and I actually like them better than last year's main crop. Didn't have the off flavor that last year's RDB main had. Lattarolla second.

Comment

• eboone
            eboone commented
            Editing a comment
            Wills' Folly! LOL

Atreano and Lattarolla. Big, beautiful, vigorous, productive, and bland

Main crop is better so far. While the main crop isn't the best, I enjoyed eating them. These two weren't really worth eating. Hopefully the next ones improve.

Still convinced my two are the same variety.

The Lattarolla is on the small side with most of the rest on both trees around the Atreano size.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 8 photos.

Comment

• don_sanders
            don_sanders commented
            Editing a comment
            Ones after this are tasting a little better. Letting them hang longer. Not great but edible.

Nero600m, Lattarulla from Richters, and LSU Scott's Black that I'm not sure is true to type. The LSU Scott's Black was good. The others, meh. I have a feeling the Nero 600M will get better.

If anyone sees any varieties that don't look right, feel free to post or PM me.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

• don_sanders
            don_sanders commented
            Editing a comment
            Subsequent lattarulla's didn't taste to bad. Nice honey flavor.

Atreano
          it doesn't taste as good as it looks, but okay for this early in summer.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
          Zea
          Watsonville, CA. zone 9

Comment

Today we gave Hollier and 55 Improved Celeste (not).

Hollier wasn't bad. Probably 3rd in the rankings of this thread so far. Makes me look forward to the main crop.

The 55 Improved Celeste (not) was really good. Probably at the top now over RDB. I just wish I had the correct label. It's a keeper with or without a name.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

• Jamie0507
              Jamie0507 commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow that 55 Improved Celeste not sure does look yummo!! Reminds me very much of the 1 Malta Black breba I had last year.. I will have to compare its leaf pattern to my Malta Black when I go outside to water them in a bit.. I totally agree Don, whatever the variety it looks like a definite keeper from here! 👍🏼

The last two days we have Daisy's "Cornilio" UNK Brown Turkey, Salem Dark, Richters Peter's Honey (not), and Violette de Bordeaux.

Richters Peter's Honey (not) and Violette de Bordeaux weren't bad.

Salem Dark had no flavor. I'm surprised it hung on. One of my best main crop Mt Etnas last year. I think all of my other Mt Etna brebas have fallen off by now.

DCBT was a little bland and hard to fully ripen such a large fig with a such big gaping ostiole.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 12 photos.

Comment

Your Richters Peter's Honey Not looks very much like Petite Negra that Raintree sells. It's certainly in that family of figs which I'm sure you figured out long ago.
              Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
              Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• don_sanders
                don_sanders commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I was thinking something like Petite Negra, Negronne, VDB, Nero 600M. It hasn't tasted as good as my Negronne, VDB, Nero 600M by it isn't bad. Richters does sell Negronne and VDB as well as a Black Spanish which seems to be a catch-all name. I'll probably burn it.

Moving right along we have Negronne and Nero 600M breba and CDDN (Baud) main crop.

CDDN was a bit odd. The skin seemed to have a bit of a bitter flavor. The figs earlier in the year were better.

Nero 600M and Negronne weren't bad for brebas.
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 10 photos.

Comment

• Jamie0507
                Jamie0507 commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow Don you sure are getting a great early harvest! I can't get over that you are eating CdDN main crop in early July! That's amazing.. Mine just began showing the start of its main crop last month.. So you definitely worked some sort of magic this past winter, Im convinced! Lol 😉

Today was our first real fig harvest.
              one tray is all desert King, the other contains Stella, Conadria, Latterula, and Negronne.
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
              Zea
              Watsonville, CA. zone 9

Comment

• Zeamaizing
                Zeamaizing commented
                Editing a comment
                Eboone, you are right about Stella and Negronne, but the Conadria is top tight and the Latterula bottom right. I realize that the main crop Conadria looks more like the bottom right, but the very few Conadria brebas are yellowish and elongated. The main crop Latterula are more squat and have more ridges.
                Last edited by Zeamaizing; 07-07-2017, 12:46 AM.

• Seattlefiggirl
                Seattlefiggirl commented
                Editing a comment
                how was stella flavor compared to the others?

• Zeamaizing
                Zeamaizing commented
                Editing a comment
                Stella is sweet but nothing special for flavor.

Every time I see this thread topic on the board, this is what comes to mind:

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/sHCP2xa
              Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• DBJohnson
                DBJohnson commented
                Editing a comment
                ...and i just finished that episode tonight. Only 10 more days! (Yeah, sorry....OT).

• Zuny
                Zuny commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol, It is an awesome series. I love it.

Osborn Prolific E.L. - Mild honey flavor

Vern's BT - no flavor

Adriatic JH - Always good berry flavor

Improved Celeste - a little over ripe with a honey flavor. The tree seems to have 1, 3, and 5 lobed leaves. I don't believe any were single lobed last year.

Rob's Genovese Nero - Attacked by an animal but even the animal wouldn't eat it. Huge fig but not any good around here.
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 15 photos.

Comment

great photos Don!
                Ben B.
                Seattle, WA

http://seattlegardenfruit.blogspot.com/

Comment

Emerald Strawberry - needs to ripen more. Flavor not great.

Desert King from Richters was pretty good and looks true to type. Leaving main crop on to see if they ripen. Hopefully more productive next year. Only two figs this year.

Salem Dark gets a redo. These two figs were good.
                  Last edited by don_sanders; 07-14-2017, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Nero 600M - a little different shape in this tree. Good berry flavor.

BM - Came to me labeled as BM. Possibly Black mission. Needed to ripen more but was falling off the tree. Not much flavor.

Malta Black, MBVS, and BARI - all good berry flavors.

UNK Green Greek - Good flavor. Not really berry.

And a bonus little wheel bug with a Japanese beetle. Not that he'll make a dent in them but it's nice to have the help.
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 19 photos.

Comment

Stella - filled with syrup when cut open with good honey flavor and a tight eye. Looks like Stella but didn't have a berry flavor that I was expecting. Anyone have any thoughts?

Brooklyn White - could have used a couple more days but starting to mold. Large eye with an OK honey flavor.

Laradek's English Brown Turkey - Good honey flavor with a tight eye.

Comment

• ross
                        ross commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Your Stella looks odd, Don. Maybe it's not getting enough light?

• Zuny
                        Zuny commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Your Laradek looks good.

MaryLane Seedless - Interesting texture with the low number of seeds.

Sister Madeline's Green Greek - Similar to AJH and a good fig.

St Rita - Not bad for such a small breba.

Adriatic JH - Always tasty.

Golden Celeste - Has potential.
                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 14 photos.
                      Last edited by don_sanders; 07-19-2017, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Sal's Gene - tasty but sadly unproductive for brebas.

Comment

And Florea wins the race to ripen main crop figs. It won't win any taste tests but it isn't bad and ripens even before some of the brebas.
                          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Working...
                          X