X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get 20/30 gallon pots?

Where do people go to buy 20-25 gallon pots that are affordable, decorative and strong? Perhaps white or off white so the roots don't overheat? Chain stores? Website?
    Mara, Southern California,
    Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

I got mine at OSH, they come in green, terra cotta, and off-white, plastic.

http://www.osh.com/Osh-Categories/Ou...reen/p/6847743
    Last edited by greenfig; 04-29-2015, 03:10 AM.
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

I get mine from a local nursery. You could always try craigslist or check with a local landacaping company to see if they have any leftover containers. Getting them online can be pretty steep after including shipping.
      Travis
      Pittsburgh, pa

Comment

Many nurseries ( at least that I've worked at and with) don't go much bigger than 15 gallons. Bigger than that is often field grown, but you never know.

You can make pots from barrels (Dennis does this), I might try it too.

Somebody in my town grows figs in trash cans, the heavy duty rubbermaid ones.
        https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
        SE PA
        Zone 6

Comment

I have used ace hardware $7 Rubbermaid garbage can and cut it down to desired size and then use stone texture spray paint of my liking. Turns out very nice
          Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
          1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
          2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Check: Home Depot....they sell heavy-duty, plastic containers that are made to look like wine barrels that were cut in half. I usually find these extra large containers in the Garden Dept. along with other plastic containers. You can also use 18-40 gallon storage tubs. Just drill some holes into the bottom-sides for drainage. When it's time for root-pruning, you can plant the tree right back into the same container, and re-use it for years.

Keep in mind that moving around containers holding 18-40 gallons of mix will not be easy. To avoid hernias, I place all my very heavy, containerized trees, on a dolly.

Frank

Comment

I bought 3 new pots at Sam's Club this year, measuring 22 in x 19 in. I think they are about 25 gallons. They are a pale sand color and look like stone or concrete, but they are some kind of light weight composite. They were $20 each or so, but they might have been a seasonal only item. I haven't seem them on their website.
              I also saw an excellent selection at Green Thumb Nursery of extra large plastic pots in both light and dark colors. The prices were average. I didn't buy any pots there but i did get an awesome plant dolly with heavy duty casters with a wheel lock.
              Coastal SoCal/ USDA Zone 10b / Sunset 22 / AHS Heat zone 2

Comment

If you have a nursery you like, tell them what you are looking for and if they don't carry them, ask if they can order them for you.
                SoCal, zone 10.
                www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

When looking for large 20 or 30 gallon size you really have to consider the cost for one and how long will that one container will last you over time. HD and Lowe's have them but you pay top dollar for them....talking $35+ bucks each! Some folks get those cheap--$8 dollar colorful plastic tubs with rope handles. Well, all though they work great! They only last about 2 years before the hot sun and dirt deterioate the plastic and the pots just breaks as soon as you try to move it---been there ---done that! And never again.

As Kelby said above, I get those thick food grade 55g barrels off Craigs list. The ones with the 2 screw caps on top. I located a seller that sells them to me for $10 each! I cut them in half and voila......I have 2 pots that only cost me $5 buck each! And they last a life time. And get yourself one of those 600lb capacitiy dollies from Harbor Freight. They're about 70 bucks with a 20 dollars off coupon. They move a huge tree like its nothing. Trust me...you're gonna need one! I will post picture tonight of me in the process of upsizing my trees using these pots. Mine are or will be SWPs. I just finished taking my last 6 trees out of storage yesterday. They went in just under 6 feet tall. Yesterday, they are over 7 feet tall. My Dessert Kings are full of brebas and boy I am happy!
                  Dennis
                  Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

To calculate the volume of a straight-sided container (gallons):

Volume in gallons = 3.14 X radius X radius X height of container/271
                    This will roughly give you the (dry) gallon capacity of your container. Good for calculating how much mix a container will hold. The useable volume of the mix will be less than the calculated volume after the "watering space" is factored in....as no container is filled with mix, right up to the top brim.

(NOTE: USE "INCHES" FOR THE ABOVE FORMULA).

Hope this helps.

Frank
                    Last edited by BronxFigs; 04-30-2015, 05:25 AM. Reason: Additional information/corrections

Comment

• greenfig
                      greenfig commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What are the units of the radius and height? Inches or feet or meters or centimeters ?
                      I believe that is important.

• drphil69
                      drphil69 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ditto greenfig... units really do matter! Lol.

Check out greenhouse megastore, I'm not sure if they have fancy pots, yet they have great prices and cheap shipping.
                    Last edited by COGardener; 04-29-2015, 06:46 PM.
                    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• drphil69
                      drphil69 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's where I got mine.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...r/nursery-pots

The 25 gallon are too flimsy for their size, IMO. They are typical nursery grade. But price and shipping, they are very good, and have many products. I use their smaller pots and they work great.

Dennis and Kelby nailed it with the 55g barrels. I shot a quick video of what they look like and what one turned into a SIP looks like. It is taking forever to upload, but I'll share it once it does.
                    Youtube: PA Figs eBay: tdepoala
                    Wishlist: Galicia Negra, Paritjal Rimada, Black Ischia UCD

Comment

• drphil69
                      drphil69 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I got one for a rain barrel and a spare to make 2 large pots. I think I paid $15 each for them.

Frank, that formula works great. Here are some of my measurements for my barrels:

The bottom end is 3.14 x 11 x 11 x 18 / 271 = 25 gallons

The top end is 3.14 x 11 x 11 x 19 / 271 = 26.6 gallons

It's hard to cut the barrels perfectly in half.....but I try.
                    Dennis
                    Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

• drphil69
                      drphil69 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Have you tried using a circular saw? I would think that would work well.

So many great ideas. There are a lot of ways to go, I see. Thanks for all your suggestions.
                    Mara, Southern California,
                    Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

Youtube: PA Figs eBay: tdepoala
                      Wishlist: Galicia Negra, Paritjal Rimada, Black Ischia UCD

Comment

Sorry everyone....I forgot to specify units of measurement for the Volume formula: inches. This formula works for cylinders, and is not too accurate for containers with tapered sides. For containers with tapered sides, you can use...if you must be very precise... the formula for calculating the volume of a "truncated cone".

Frank
                        Last edited by BronxFigs; 04-30-2015, 05:34 AM.

Comment

• AscPete
                          AscPete commented
                          Editing a comment
                          For the tapered pots you could also use the measured radius @ 1/2 the pot's height for a close #...

Check with your local farmers supply or feed store for Cow Mineral Tubs. I don't know exactly how many gallons they are but I will use the formula and find out. I would guess they are 30 gallons and they are UV protected with Carbon Black. I usually get them for $5.00.

Kroger grocery uses 3 gallon plastic buckets for fresh flowers and they were throwing them out and I have about 200 or so, they work great
                        Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

I've decided against using pots larger than ~ 15 gallons, but my recommendation would be the cut 55 gallon barrels. They can easily be painted or wrapped in material to match any decor. Attached is a photo from the internet of Fig Trees in 1/2 barrels.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	P5150104.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	17356 Click image for larger version

Name:	FQVHASSH3Z3SUJL.LARGE.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	17357 Click image for larger version

Name:	F0P6ZBKH3Z38HVP.LARGE.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	17358
                          Last edited by AscPete; 04-30-2015, 06:47 AM. Reason: added photo.
                          Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

For those within reasonable distance of a costco.... They have 1/2 barrel size tubs in a heavy duty 1/4-3/8" thick poly with a wood grain and barrel hoops molded into the exterior for esthetics. They are the same size Bill uses, already sized and ready to install your particular self watering method. I got a few last year for $17 each
                            Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, Pete. Can't get any simpler than your method.

Frank

Comment

Working...
                              X