X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuzz white mold on new cutting leaf?

I have bin with many rooted cutting that are sprouting new leaf. And 2 out of say 20 has little white fuzzy mold on a leaf. It is in humidity bin with light ? What to do? Adding to tis oddly enough its same type of fig and there is different types between the two that are fine. Does mold live inside a cutting? Or just topical?
    Last edited by Taverna78; 04-29-2015, 07:36 AM.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Mike,

The mold is just on the outside....it is probably due to a little too much humidity and not enough fresh air, give it a little fresh air every day and should be fine. Mold is everywhere......in every step you take you are moving mold spores around.
    Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

• Taverna78
      Taverna78 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh trust me is opened religiously at least once a day. Realistically if the cuttings are rooted and leafing out I think I remember you saying try getting them out of humidity anyway correct?

Mold happens, in my limited experience. I agree that your humidity is probably too high, and they need a little fresh air. If its on the leaf, don't be surprised if you lose the leaf. Losing leaves is SUPER common on young cuttings. Heck, several of mine dropped all their leaves and then started fresh due to overwatering. In the end, they're pretty tough. In this case, addressing the cause of the problem is probably more important than addressing the problem itself (if that makes sense).
    Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Sì,
      Makes sense. I will start to leave lid a bit more open now
      Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
      1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
      2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Brett is absolutely right. It's very common that I lose small leaves while in the bin, but more sprout and all ends up well. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep an eye out for dieing branches.
        Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Mike,

I had the same issue until I started giving more fresh air to the cuttings. Now every morning and night I open the lid and move it back and forth over the bin so some of the air in the bin gets "changed". It seems to be helping so far. The mold has stopped and there appears to be more leaf/branch growth now.
          Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Hey Mike! If your cuttings are starting to leaf out, maybe it's time for them to start getting used to "normal" humidity? I didn't know what your current plans are with them so ignore my advice if I'm wrong. It took me about 4 days to get my fully leafed out cuttings from 80-99% humidity to ~44%. It was a great feeling when the cuttings didn't have to rely on a "bin" anymore. Plus, it's fewer issues I had to worry about!
            Alma from Maryland 7b

Comment

Working...
            X