X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it?

Somebody is selling the dried leaves of this tree on eBay as fig leaves. I told them it was not a fig but a paper mulberry. They responded back that it has fruited... and pointed out that the leaf margins are smooth rather than finely toothed. So if not a paper mulberry what could it be it? The seller is in Spring Hill Florida.

That person is selling that fig locally on Craigslist as Atreano. The pic was small and grainy on CL, so I thought it was pic quality that made the leaves look like that.

Comment

The seller wants this to be a fig so badly. They are now using another pic that does look much like a fig leaf because the pointed tips are cropped out... I responded one more time before I wash my hands and flag the item.

Comment

OK. They took down the listing, said they do and will continue to sell them to neighbors... Yikes, I hope there is nothing poisonous growing in their yard!

Comment

They said it fruited.. but no fruit pictures? I'm new to figs but it doesn't look much like any fig leaves I have seen.
          Phil
          Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

Maybe this tree grew as a weed underneath a fig tree? Tough to understand what is actually going on...

Dear Sir I looked up this paper mulberry tree I can see why you thought that ,My fig trees have already had fruit, not red flowers like the mulberry tree, and have totally different stems then the mulberry tree , My stems are green color and a totally different shape even my large ones, They never look like a tree or bush .The Mulberry leaves also have small jagged teeth on the edges ,Our fig trees leaves are smooth, This mulberry tree is interesting though, thank you again .

Comment

• drphil69
              drphil69 commented
              Editing a comment
              The stems are very green, even older growth down low. You have my curiosity peaked...

I was in Springhill today I should have swung by and had a look.
            Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

• hoosierbanana
              hoosierbanana commented
              Editing a comment
              You might not leave if you have a glass tea ; )

It is a Chinese Parasol tree. Not poisonous but not a traditional tea ingredient either .
            This plant identifier is great:
            http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Trees

Comment

Good work. The leaves sure didn't look like anything in the Moraceae.
              SoCal, zone 10.
              www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

If you find it in the internet then it must be true.

Comment

Working...
                X