X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelby
    commented on 's reply
    I say a DK arrives today and another fig is in the mail. Oops.

• Rob Ster 010
    commented on 's reply
    Lol, i wish i knew how to control myself. 5 trees ago i said this was the last tree for this year.

• cis4elk
    replied
    Hopefully after this round of plantings I'll be done!
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Right.

Leave a comment:

• Kelby
    commented on 's reply
    I have a habit of overthinking things, haha.

I'm in zone 6, so I will likely never see brebas on in ground plants due to the cold. The varieties I'm planting should give me good main crop production even if they die back. I'm working on growing a handful of varieties that produce really good breba crops to grow in big pots that will overwinter in my workshop (40 degrees in winter). So far I'm trying out Atreano, Lattarula, some San Pedro types, and some English Brown Turkey types.

• jmaler
    replied
    You've put a lot of thought into this project. May the fig Gods be with you.

Can you elaborate on the brebas in pot vs in ground thing?

Leave a comment:

• Kelby
    started a topic Spring planting season!

Spring planting season!

Definitely spring here in my neck of the woods. This week I started planting some 'hardy' figs in my orch-yard, more to follow as time allows!
    As I have discussed before, long term goal is 10-15 in ground plants that are productive with minimal winterizing and care and 5-6 in pots for brebas or both crops. The in ground varieties were largely chosen on the basis of being able to fruit after ground. The Polar Vortex of 2013-14 was a an excellent informer for this.
    First off is my hillside with the rock wells. I'm finishing up with 6 wells, though there may be room for another. From last year I have RdB and Sal's; I have added Malta Black, Adriatic JH, and will shortly be adding Florea once the plant grows a little more. .Last well is for Improved Celeste if I can ever get one to root, which isn't looking promising. Based on others experiences these varieties should do very well here and give me a good range of flavor (sugar, dark berry, bordeaux, exotic berry) to be my "core" plantings. You can also see my little helper and assorted other fruit trees and bushes.

In front beds I have Bari and MBvs (not shown). New project for this year is the fig hedge along the front of my yard. Not sure how many I can fit, there is a Hardy Chicago just planted at the end in a well (in photo by dogwood tree) and on the list to plant are: Black Bethlehem, Tacoma Violet, LdA, Excel, and Binello. I will add Lyndhurst White and Nero600m somewhere next year, but they need another season in pots.

Hopefully after this round of plantings I'll be done! Well, I'll be out of space and it puts me a good way towards my goal of figs to eat and I want to spend a year or two figuring out what works and doesn't before acquiring too much more; I went from 1 variety to 20ish in a year.

I'm motivated to get most/all varieties not being grown for brebas in the ground soon since we'll be on vacation in July. I don't really want to burden anyone with watering too much while I'm gone...too much room for mistakes! I also have apple trees, persimmons, strawberries and more to be watered unless I think of homes soon.

Hope spring is springing for you, too!
Working...
X