X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rooted Logs from bin?

I have 12 very large cutting (bigger then broomstick in width ) that was in smag moss bin for a few weeks and grew large mass of huge healthy roots. I can not fit into plastic cups so I pot in 1gal pots already in potting mix. There is no buds or leaf but giant root systems. My question is should they stay in humidify or can I set outside right away in good weather?
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

I would recommend sealing the top end with a pruning sealer. It doesn't need humidity, but the mix needs to remain moist. Extra time in the humidity bin should not really hurt, but it should be placed in ambient conditions before buds start to break. I usually place them outside on a south facing covered porch. Here's a photo of two from last year. Good Luck.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4128.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	17802
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Ciao Pete!
      That's no log my friend that is whole tree!! HA!!
      Ok yes I put pruning sealer on it as you. My problem is I only can fit 5 pots per bin. What if I put water bottle over top while outside? Or do roots still need bottom heat?

Comment

The logs were soaked for a few days to "hydrate" then planted directly in the pots and were then place on the porch no humidity bins or bottom heat. I initially used large plastic garbage bags as "humidity bins" but have since concluded that cuttings only really need the extra humidity to get hydrated also the ambient temperature should be above 70 deg F. so roots can start developing quickly. Extra Humidity and Humidity Bins are really only needed in the initial hydration stage or for cuttings with leaves and no roots (to keep the leaves hydrated). Here's a photo 21 days later than the previous photo...
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4233.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	17819
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• drphil69
          drphil69 commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, that is one BIG cutting! Looking good Pete!

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks.
          I'm currently air layering off the larger branches, since I don't see a future for the log (it can't be pruned to a productive shape).

Belle... !
        Okay. Then I just leave as it is. I hope not too much water. We have rain storms all week and high winds. I wanted to bring all my 1gal potted growing trees back in garage with grow lights but they finally stay outside 2 days in a row and still look okay. I have them all behind a big bush and ones with no leaf or bud is in direct sunlight.

Comment

Working...
        X