X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: What type of plant is this? Poisonous?

I have this creeping vine that's been overtaking an area of my lot. My neighbor says it's a poisonous plant. Comparing these to the web, I can't find a sure match to anything poisonous, such as oak, ivy, sumac. Can anyone identify what it might be? I don't think it's poisonous, but I want to make sure before I dig in. I really don't want to test it otherwise.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

It is Virginia Creeper. See link below

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/virginia-creeper.html
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Some literature suggests that Virginia Creeper is not poisonous, but the sap of the plant contains oxalate crystals and can cause skin irritation and rashes in some people.

Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Creeper!
        https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
        SE PA
        Zone 6

Comment

Yes, it is Virginia Creeper. It breaks me out much the same as poison ivy. Have seen variegated ones sold at garden centers.
          PPP
          Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

They see them everywhere here, I had it on my lot, took 8 years to eradicate it and I still find seedlings that either the birds or squirrels deposit for me. At least seedlings are easy to get rid of.
            Last edited by COGardener; 05-05-2015, 11:07 AM.
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

You all are great. Thank you!
              If it's like poison ivy/oak, I assume the wood still contains the irritating oil during the winter while it's dormant, right? I really don't mind it growing at this area, but if I have to trim it away from my driveway, I guess I'll snip it, then disinfect the shears.
              Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• COGardener
                COGardener commented
                Editing a comment
                It does not bother me at all, but you may want to error on the side of caution and wear gloves if you are going to remove it. Also, remove the root.... and the whole root or it will be back in no time.

It grows all around here, I rip it out with my bare hands constantly. I'm sensitive to Poison Ivy but I never have had a problem with Virginia Creeper.
              Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
              Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• F. Bennett
                F. Bennett commented
                Editing a comment
                Great, thanks Calvin!

Supposedly not the same oil as poison ivy, irritates many people. Snipping it will do no good, it will grow back. Spray it or pull it up by grabbing the base of the vine with pliers.
              PPP
              Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

• F. Bennett
                F. Bennett commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks PPP

It's in the same family as grapes. Vitaceae.

It can grow up the sides of buildings, so be careful. There was a church in town whose walls were covered. It was more charming than destructive.

Taken to the extreme however....

SoCal, zone 10.
              www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

• COGardener
                COGardener commented
                Editing a comment
                Unless you a Hobbit!!!

• cis4elk
                cis4elk commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks like spider and earwig heaven!