X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloria's Red Barn UNK

I was given a rooted cutting last Summer of the Red Barn UNK Gloria found and distributed last year. Last I recall it was suspected to be some type of Brown Turkey.

Was anything further figured out and did anyone get ripe fruit?
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

How did you cutting do Kelby? Did it look like a BT from the foliage?

Comment

BTs are usually easy to root. A lot of us failed to root hers.
      Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Maybe we can talk Gloria into giving it another chance this year. If she can get them again.

Comment

From what I remembered about Gloria Ukn Red barn, the property was being developed and everything was being removed including all 2 or 3 trees. So unless someone was successful in rooting the cuttings, I think the trees are gone.
          Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

Well ,there goes that plan. thanks Von ,hopefully someone will come forth with a success story.

Comment

Last year I got at least 2 to root and they are in the Cravo wintering over. I checked everything 2 days ago and they seemed like they are doing well. The Cravo house only gets down to 30 F so I like to winter my plants there. The plants are still pretty small maybe 8-10 inches.
              NC Zone 7a-b

Comment

Gloria sent out quite a lot of cuttings from the 2 (or 3?) trees she found on the property. To her eye, they were all the same kind.
                http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....5870?&trail=50
                I'm sure some people had success. I have at least 2 of her Unk Red Barn 2 that have already broken bud and are leafing out in a sunny window. I think I have a 3rd and perhaps a 4th that are still dormant...
                Mine were too small and I didn't get figs last year...maybe this year.
                Cheers,
                Jim
                Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

Sharon, Jim thanks, that's very cool. Could you tell anything by the leaf patern?

Comment

All but one of my cuttings rooted and those trees are just beautiful. Kelby, I hope that tree gives figs this year.
                    Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

Chris, I didn't root it, Shailesh gave me one of his extras last summer. I don't really recall the leaf shape but it wasn't anything unique. Hopefully I'll get fruit this year, it's pretty small.
                      https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
                      SE PA
                      Zone 6

Comment

Posted 08/02/14 #66

Early July 2014 (above)

lEarly August

Comment

Thanks Kelby and Shailesh. I love those pics. Looks like an awesome Celeste. Nice and fuzzy but who can tell! Most baby figs look alike. Love the baby praying mantis on the first pic also.

Comment

Anytime ChrisK. It is one of my favorites fig trees. I can't wait to taste the figs from it. I hope it will fruit this year.

Comment

looks like it's awakening

Comment

I think I have 3 or 4 of this variety. I had luck rooting it, and with the knowledge that it didn't take off for a lot of people, I'll plant 2 of them in ground this year, to ensure they grow enough to share cuttings in the Fall.

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• sppsp
                                    sppsp commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    the breba fell off about 10 days ago
                                Working...
                                X