X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cultivars That Produce Continuously To Frost

Some fig cultivars produce figs that ripen over a span of a few weeks and then are done, while other cultivars ripen figs more or less continuously till frost.

The two cultivars that I've seen ripen figs most productively, over the longest period of time, and more-or-less continuously till frost are LSU Purple and the Mt Etnas (Marseilles Black and others). Especially the Mt Etnas.

I'm interested in the experiences that other have had with which cultivars ripen figs the most productively, over the longest period of time, more-or-less continuously till frost. In addition to the Mt Etna strains, I'm especially interested in any relevant experience with a few particular cultivars: Ronde de Bordeaux, Malta Back, Florea, Improved Celeste, Zingarella, Champagne, and various LSU cultivars, among others.

Improved Celeste has ripened for me in a sometimes extended wave or two but not necessarily till frost.
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

In my observation the cultivars that are "everbearing" are also the cultivars that continue to grow and produce figlets while ripening the earlier figs. The Mt Etna types are in that group so is the LSU Purple PP. There are several that have "everbearing" in their names Texas Everbearing, Italian Everbearing etc. True English Brown Turkey is also "everbearing", ripening main crop figs over a long time period.

Champagne PP and Celeste have the same habit of ripening figs withing a short time period, which may be why they were chosen for use in the Commercial Fig Industry. If we had a longer season they may continue to produce, but it doesn't happen in my zone.

It may be more of a trial and error to find more cultivars that have that "everbearing" characteristic. Good Luck.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      BTW, Unknown BryantDark and a few other "found" unknowns ripen continuously until frost.

Pete, good point about the cultivars with "everbearing" in their names. Now if only they would have "early" in their names as well!

A couple figs are known as Early Violet and Early White. I would be interested in anyone's concrete experience with those figs too...or any other cultivars with "early" and/or "everbearing" somewhere in their names.

Early Everbearing Prolific Berry fig! Ronde de Bordeaux? Mt Etnas? Malta Black? Others?

Early Everbearing Prolific Alaskan Berry fig. Not, I suppose, on this planet, if blueberries are to be ruled out.
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

My experience with LSU Improved Celeste is that it put on figs in waves until frost. As each wave approached ripening, a new set would appear.
      My RdB was putting out a third set of main crop figlets when frost struck last year.
      PPP
      Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

• mountainfigs
        mountainfigs commented
        Editing a comment
        I seem to recall something like that with Improved Celeste last year, the problem being that that gap between waves here is when frost hits, the new figs not close to ripening.

• pppldj
        pppldj commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, there were a lot of LSU IC that never reached ripeness.

• mountainfigs
        mountainfigs commented
        Editing a comment
        Still a productive, reliable, and early fig though. Easily one of the most dependable.

Bari does, might be an Etna type but I'm not qualified to make that call. Mine was pumping out figlets thru November last year.
      Last edited by Kelby; 05-06-2015, 06:38 AM.
      https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
      SE PA
      Zone 6

Comment

• mountainfigs
        mountainfigs commented
        Editing a comment
        Bari was one of the best rooters here this year. I would be surprised if it's not a Mt Etna type, at this point.

Alma bears early and often until frost,for me. My Celestes do not.
      Frank Tallahasee 8B
      North Florida Figs

Comment

• mountainfigs
        mountainfigs commented
        Editing a comment
        Alma bore late and poorly for me here last year much farther north. I've neglected badly my Celestes but should be able to see what they can do this year.

My MBvs did not produce particularly long season last year, it fruited from late August through September, it did not produce any "waves" of figlets, no breba. It is a third year potted tree. In fact 1-2 figs missed the ripening cutoff and never did, got picked off.
      Rafael
      Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Gino's Black
        Dennis
        Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

Main Street Purple
          Dennis
          Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

LSU Purple although not cold Hardy had a very long season popping figlets all the way to frost.I picked the last ripe one in med November but the quality was so so.

Comment

The good thing about Hardy Chicago & Salem Dark is that they'll produce figs that taste great even with highs in the low 60s. They do take longer to ripen at that temp but there aren't many that taste good like those do.
              Bob C.
              Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

In one of Harvey’s videoes he talked about his grafted black Madeira and his white madeira #1 being super productive and fruiting continuously till frost for him. In the video the leaves on his trees were dead and falling off while still being completely loaded with fruit. He also referred to his bourgasotte grise as a workhorse that reliably made tons of figs. He said he could always find ripe fruit in the tree. I’m rooting them now and can’t wait to try them.

Comment

• ginamcd
                  ginamcd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hopefully you are in a climate similar to Harvey's. Many of us in colder climates have trees still loaded with fruit at the end of the season.

The key difference is in how many figs ripen prior to that point. Here in 5b/6a without a greenhouse head start, that number would be incredibly low for varieties such as Black Madeira.

My Rossellino produces for the all season and I love it,
                but I also like my Albo it produces early and many when they’re most appropriated
                Attached Files
                Wallingford,Ct. zone 6b

Comment

Working...
                X