X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Branching out at every node!

Let's hope all these branches produces lots of figs this year. This is a Preto with one trunk in a 5 gallon SIP.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Time to start air layering the unwanted branches...
    (since they need to be pruned anyway...)
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

I'm have another Preto doing the dirty work.
      I plan to indulge in the figs these put out, assuming they ripen in time.
      Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

That's one beautiful mess of branches, Frank! I hope one day I get that kind of "problem"
        Alma from Maryland 7b

Comment

Just curious... Was the apex (apical bud) damaged, pinched or pruned? Thanks.
          Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Pete,
            The tip wasn't hardened enough before going dormant last season, and I happened to notice it was really weak so I snapped it off right before I took the pic. No sap leak, so hopefully I didn't mess up the tree's 'flow'.
            Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• AscPete
              AscPete commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the reply. Removing the apical tip (and auxins) causes dormant buds below to start growing... The injury to the tip caused the branching. There shouldn't be any problems with "flow" just aggressive vegetative growth if its provided with proper culture (water, nutrients and sunlight).

• F. Bennett
              F. Bennett commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, Pete. Always appreciative of your input.

I removed about 6 inches off my Preto whip in late winter 2014. Then when the side branch started to come out I very quickly removed all but three and let those form the scaffold branches. You said you are growing these for figs this year. The only issue I see is that there is so much branching that some of the areas of tree/bush might be too shaded and not produce well. It's something to consider.
            Steve
            D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
            WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

Thanks, Steve. I will keep a close eye on it as it grows. If I do get an abundant amount of figs, would it hurt to remove a few leaves to allow more sunlight? I've read that it actually allows the figs to ripen sooner. What do you think?
              Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• Rewton
                Rewton commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, I have heard that thinning out the leaves is beneficial for fruit ripening too but I have never tried it. Since you have another Preto you have the luxury to experiment.

Looking good, Frank!
              https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
              SE PA
              Zone 6

Comment

• F. Bennett
                F. Bennett commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Kelby!

I have a similar "problem" with my panache. But the nodes are very close together, maybe 1- 1 1/2" apart. I know I should pinch off the "extras" to form scaffold branches but I am having a hard time pulling the trigger. I count 14 branches on the tree, about 3 ft tall. I am considering air layering the top of the tree off, after selecting 3 lower branches for scaffolds. Any thoughts?
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
              Phil
              Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

Working...
              X