X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay Reserve Not Met

Does this drive anyone else nutty? What's the point of setting a price for an eBay item, then having people bid only to find out that a reserve price wasn't met? Just seems rude to me. Set the bidding to start at the minimum you'll accept. Probably just writing this because I have some wine in me, but can anyone explain why this is an honorable practice??? It's just always seemed weird to me. This will be the first and last time I'll be a crab on the forum....promise.
    Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Greg, don't be rude, pass the wine but I don't agree with it but if a bidding war gets started it could go higher than someone in there rite mind would pay to start bidding. Just my opinion.
    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Greg, yep that drives me nutty too. I just don't bid on "reserve auctions" any more. Supposedly if you bid above the reserve price, it will jump to that amount. But I've seen ebay's software screw up before, and despite having bid a higher "max bid" than the reserve, it only removed the reserve when someone else bid up the price. Anyway, I got tired of that nonsense, so I just don't bother with reserve auctions. Then again, I use ebay way less than I used to... just too many idiotic policies and too much misrepresented crap on there. They clearly back the seller rather than the buyer, and it created an atmosphere of exploitive sellers who misrepresent their junk to get undeservedly high prices. Sure there are some honest sellers, but way too many shady ones. They don't call it "flea bay" without reason.

Mike
      Mike -- central NY state, zone 5a -- pauca sed matura

Comment

• MichaelTucson
        MichaelTucson commented
        Editing a comment
        You know drphil, I think you're right -- they don't always back the seller. But I'm glad that they backed Olya in her recent horror story with the scammer "buyers". For my tastes and preferences, it's still just too full of lunacy. I buy in that marketplace occasionally, but only when I can check out the seller, or if it's something I can really assess the value of. (Or occasionally if it's something that's low priced, though that's rare). I used to sell there too, but haven't in over 10 years. Even being "careful" when buying, I still have regrets when I see the junk that's passed off there, and in my own experience it has gotten worse in recent years. (I started using ebay 16 or 17 years ago, so I'm not a newbie). I've encountered too many people passing off junk there... seconds, or objects with subtle problems that don't show in the photographs. Stuff they couldn't sell honestly, so they went to ebay. I've cut way back on that place, and I don't regret it.

Mike
        Last edited by MichaelTucson; 05-07-2015, 12:57 AM. Reason: I added info in the 2 minutes after initially posting this.

• drphil69
        drphil69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Michael, I should also mention that I usually buy new products. I can't even remember buying anything used, other than some silver coins. And I also check amazon for pricing reference. I've bought a few common cuttings and one fig tree with no issues.

• MichaelTucson
        MichaelTucson commented
        Editing a comment
        OK, an update. I've received several messages/emails connected with my statements about ebay. Peace. You've convinced me. I may even go back to selling a thing or two there myself. - Mike

Starting at a low price gets more people interested and actually placing bids. And once a person has skin in the game, they are more likely to do what is necessary to get what they are bidding on, hence some insane prices.

Will you pass the wine this way, thanks...
      SoCal, zone 10.
      www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Gina's right. It's all a mind game. I prefer not to mess with reserves myself.
        Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• GregMartin
          GregMartin commented
          Editing a comment
          Frank, that's exactly why they bother me...but to each their own. I just like things to be a bit more straightforward.

Seems like I am seeing less reserve auctions on Ebay than in the past. I think a lot sellers realized they were better off not using it and making the minimum bid the least they would take for an item.
        Jennings, Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9a

Comment

It's all about the "game". I sold 2 cars on eBay and a boat. All 3 had bids starting the very last 60 seconds. Yes, I did set a reserve price. I wanted to protect myself from a total lost. Why not start the bidding at the minimum? You never want to start the bidding at a high price because it does shy on lookers away. Sellers on eBay understand this, not saying you're not....I'm just saying.

I bought a BWM from a lawyer in TN about 10yrs ago. My winning bid was $6566. His reserve price was $6000. Five years later, I placed it on eBay and set a reserve price of $3500. It sold for $6500 to a collector in MI! I always set a reserve price when I sell on eBay.
          Dennis
          Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

It's fine to set a reserve for a high dollar item such as a car to avoid selling it too low. For lower price items, I do not like to bid on items with reserves.
            Jennings, Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9a

Comment

Working...
            X