X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuttings from ebay

I have two batches of cuttings coming from ebay, five in each batch. I want to root two cuttings from each batch and store the remainder in the fridge. Once the cuttings have rooted the remaining cuttings can be resold on ebay or traded.

What problems do you see with doing this?

How should the saved cuttings be prepared for storage?
    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

I wrap my cuttings individually with clear wrap, then place in a zip lock bag, squeezing out as much air as possible and placed in the fridge. Just one of many ways people successfully store cuttings.
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• jmaler
      jmaler commented
      Editing a comment
      A vacuum sealer I have. Thanks

Jerry, an unwritten rule of selling cuttings/plants, especially on eBay, is that you should grow a new variety to the point of getting fruit. That way you are much more confident that the fig you are growing (where the cuttings are from) is true to type. I think most, if not all, forum members would agree with this. I think your question is geared a bit more for cutting storage but this is what struck me first when I read your post.

Regarding storage, I immerse the cuttings in 10% bleach for 20-30 seconds, allow to thoroughly air-dry, wrap in saran-wrap, place in a ziplock and store in the fridge. They should be good for many months.
    Steve
    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
    WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

• jmaler
      jmaler commented
      Editing a comment
      I see your point about growing out cuttings to fruiting stage then sell cuttings from that plant. If all trusted ebayers adhear to this policy the extra cuttings should be true, i.e. ok to sell back on ebay.

The bleach thing....you use on fresh cuttings you harvest or cuttings you acquire via other means?

• hoosierbanana
      hoosierbanana commented
      Editing a comment
      People make honest mistakes, they can refund or replace your cuttings to make it right but don't go blaming them if you yourself sell mislabeled cuttings. In reality, you could also make an honest mistake, or a dishonest one to make a quick buck. No offense, you seem like a nice person. Fig scammers have blamed their source in the past to shed their own responsibility.

Jerry,
    As Steve mentioned the simple rule (and documenting with photos) helps to keep incorrectly name cultivars out of circulation and helps reduce the "fig naming confusion" Its been discussed before, http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....ticity-6700635

And here's basic info on taking and storing cuttings, http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...ng-and-storing .
    If the cuttings are healthy, fresh and stored properly they can remain viable in the refrigerator's crisper for a year or more.

Good Luck.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• jmaler
      jmaler commented
      Editing a comment
      Pete thanks for the links to the great reads.

• MichaelTucson
      MichaelTucson commented
      Editing a comment
      I've successfully rooted some cuttings that were in the fridge for over two years. The key to their storage was that they were sealed with little air and little moisture. (Just part of the tips that Pete points to in the links above).

I have decided to try and root all the cuttings, keep the strongest and trash the weak. I am good with "sell only" after I have pictures of tree, leaf and fig.

Looks like I should start shopping plants rather than cuttings. I'm 72 so if I have to wait 3-4 yrs for cuttings to grow out that will make me late to the fig party.

My only tree ready for trading/selling cuttings is an older Texas White Everbearing that should give me pickup truck load of cuttings next spring when I prune it back to a manageable size. ;-)
    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• hoosierbanana
      hoosierbanana commented
      Editing a comment
      Trading healthy extras is OK, as long as the other person knows you bought the cuttings. There are plenty of other people in the same situation.

• drphil69
      drphil69 commented
      Editing a comment
      In TX 8b with lots of TLC, you might get fruit and a few cuttings this year. If not this year very likely next year. I got started with this obsession last year starting cuttings inside in January, and got about 50 figs off of 4 Chicago Hardy trees, and then shared cuttings with forum members. I started Brown Turkey in april, did not get any fruit but shared some cuttings with members off of that as well.

Good luck Jerry!

All cuttings received no matter where they came from are unknowns as far as I'm concerned. Mistakes do happen. Re-circulating unused cuttings might look like a money saving practice on the surface, but reputation is much more important than a few bucks received on eBay.
    Sas North Austin, TX Zone 8B

Comment

Working...
    X