X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Native Black?

I rooted this as a cutting a friend sent me in the winter of 2015. He told me it was from Becnel's Nursery, but I've been concerned since the beginning because in all of 2016, the leaves very closely resembled my other Hardy Chicago types. Now in 2017 I finally have fruit and can confirm that MY Native Black is in fact a Hardy Chicago type.

Now.. This is either mislabeled or Native Black (Becnel) is in fact a Hardy Chicago type.

Does anyone have any photos of their Native Black (Becnel) they can share or confirm or deny that it resembles Hardy Chicago? See the photos below! Forgot to include them in the OP.
    Thanks.
    -Ross
    Last edited by ross; 08-09-2017, 09:09 PM.
    Zone 7A - Philadelphia
    Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170809_130352.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	183928Click image for larger version

Name:	20170809_130024.jpg
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	183929Click image for larger version

Name:	20170809_125947.jpg
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	183930Click image for larger version

Name:	20170809_130357.jpg
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	183931Click image for larger version

Name:	20170809_125943.jpg
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	183932Click image for larger version

Name:	20170809_130406.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	183933Click image for larger version

Name:	20170809_130420.jpg
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	183934
    Zone 7A - Philadelphia

Comment

Wanted to give this one last bump. Does anyone have photos of Native Black? Mine clearly cannot be if it's a Mission type. Seems like newnandawg is really the only one that has posted ripe fruits.
      Last edited by ross; 08-11-2017, 10:22 AM.
      Zone 7A - Philadelphia

Comment

That does not look like my Native Black. I will post a leaf picture tonight.
        Texas (N. Houston area) - zone 8b
        Wish List: Rubado, Thermolito, Calderona, Cavaliere, GM-172, and GM-25

Comment

Well this is what I have as Native Black. It's my 1st year with the tree. I got from a great member and we really didn't discuss it much and I know his source but I don't know them Honestly I have not even tried to verify it yet, nor have I shared it with anyone, but it's got some young figs coming on that don't appear like Mt. Etna. The leaves don't appear like Black Mission either as Brian Indicated they should but the fruit stands a chance looking mission-ish will have to see.
          Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

• ross
            ross commented
            Editing a comment
            Phil. Yours definitely doesn't look like mine at all. Thank you for sharing and I hope I can bother you again once they ripen.

I couldn't find the leaf picture, so I will have to see about taking another one this weekend. Here is a pic of early figlets on the tree, with some partial leaves shown. Added a pic of the ripe fruit too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Native Black - Unripe 1.jpg Views:	2 Size:	161.8 KB ID:	184622 Click image for larger version

Name:	Native Black - Interior 1.jpg
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	184623

Comment

• ross
            ross commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you, Cliff. Definitely different than my Native Black. And CajunB was right. That's for certain a Mission type.

Leaves....

Name:	Native Black - Leaves 1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	184650

Comment

Another leaf shot.

FYI - My trees were grown by Brazos Crtrus Nursery, which gets their stock from Becnel and Sons Citrus Nursery.

Name:	Native Black - Leaves 2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	184652

Comment

Ok here is a couple close to ripen. No actual ripe pics from me this year. With figs ripening close to a month later than last year and the SWD populations off the charts early with the damp overcast weather I am eating very few compared to prior
              years. The wasps and the beetles are ravaging me as well. I am close to suicidal.
              Attached Files
              Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

• ross
                ross commented
                Editing a comment
                Phil! Thank you very much. Definitely not what I have. Confirmed.
            Working...
            X