X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing w/air layers

Mid Jan. I decided to put up some air layers without exposing the cambium layer
    on some 2nd and 3rd year wood,went out today,exposed them and this is what I found.
    Of the 7 I placed 6 were a fail w/the 7th substandard.

Lesson learned.

Cheers,

Paul
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
    Paul Robert,Simi Valley,Ca. 9b

I set a small airlayer in January also on some 1st wood. No results for me yet either. I did put a couple of mild scrapes in the bark, but apparently it was not enough.
    Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
    Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Hi Calvin,

Here's one I put up mid Feb.,cambium layer removed.Been getting some overcast
      so I potted it up.

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

I'm still very new, but don't you need rapid growth to get roots to form? I did only 2 air layers last year, in summer time, with partial girdling and both took off. I am still waiting to see if one is going to wake up this year or if the cold killed it.
        Phil
        Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

Phil,

I'm out here in So.Ca,as long as the layers are placed on strong wood we can place and wait.
          I'm just now placing on green wood.Another one that's about to come off.

How do I get my name and zone to show below comments?

Cheers,

Paul

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Thanks Phil.

Comment

Last year, on advice from Wills, I stopped wounding the cambium layers when I set up my airlayers and had pretty good success. Then again I was airlayering either green wood or wood that had very recently transitioned from green to brown. In your case you are airlayering older wood so perhaps with older wood scraping/girdling is more of an advantage. I often wish to make small airlayers (easier to mail) so I focus on small/young shoots. If you try scraping those they often break when you set up the airlayer. Hopefully Wills will chime in with his thoughts.
            Steve
            D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
            WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

In my opinion on the green, semi green or recently lignified wood scoring, girdling or wounding just is not needed. On older wood though like the OP is dealing with i'm sure it helps greatly.
              Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

My guess is the difference is the amount of time needed to convert the meristem in the branches to root meristem. younger limbs seem to go through the process quicker than older ones. Girdling the limb bypasses the conversion process. I have not experimented, however I would not be surprised if the girdled limb takes longer to start growing post removal from the parent tree than the non-girdled limb.

I would not consider it a failure, rather not waiting long enough.
                Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
                N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

I wonder how many characters the photo comments format supports?
                  Only one way to find out I suppose.

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• rusty hooks
                      rusty hooks commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice job....you've definitely got the weather for it

are those reflective bags...vac sealed coffee bags?

• tyro
                      tyro commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi Rusty,

Those are the used coffee ground bags Starbucks gives away.Very durable.

Excellent work once again Paul. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• tyro
                      tyro commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Chris.

Would someone direct me to this forum's tutorial on air layering? Not sure who wrote it might be Pete or BASS. Cant find it....TY
                    Chauqg Zone 6b North of Pittsburgh

Comment

• AscPete
                      AscPete commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've never written a tutorial on air layering because there are hundreds of existing videos and photo tutorials available on the internet with a google search. I did however post a photo tutorial on making inexpensive clamshell air layer pots out of plastic bottles, http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...2398#post12398

Pete, That post was exactly what I was looking for. The topic is exactly what I needed to begin learning how to air layer. TY so much. (;~)
                    Chauqg Zone 6b North of Pittsburgh

Comment

I started two air layers on a potted Preto in April. I finally cancelled them yesterday, as NOTHING was happening. The entire tree has halted growth for a while. There are several figs on it, and the leaves are not falling off, but no new leaves. Very strange.
                      Two weeks ago, I started 2 more air layers on a vigorous Preto and I already see roots. Bottom line...make sure the tree is growing strong before starting an air layer.
                      Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• cis4elk
                        cis4elk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Frank, did you remove the ring of bark and green tissue?

Is it to late in the season to air layer? It would be on old wood.

It's also good to hear the Preto is that vigorous.That's on my want list.
                      Zone 6a Orange County NY

Comment

• AscPete
                        AscPete commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Early summer is usually the recommended time for most air layers, most vigorous vegetative growth and necessary warmth for best root growth.
                    Working...
                    X