X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unknown disease on new leaves

This is a 3rd year Pied de Boeuf plant, and I just noted that the terminal leaves, buds are browning and shriveled. The rest of the plant looks great, as do all of the others that I up-potted to home made SIPs about 3-4 weeks ago. It has been out in our abnormally warm sunny (for PA) spring for the past month, no frost has hit it. Plenty of water in the reservoir, has had some rain on it, and the other growing tips of suckers, lower shoots on same plant look fine. I can see no sign of mites, webs, insect damage.

Any ideas?

Two pictures - the plant in it's SIP and closeup of the terminal end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	18840

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).JPG
Views:	4
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	18841
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Ed,
    IMO, it looks like the 2 new shoots are diverting the available nutrients, they may have better vascular flow and have gained apical dominance. Also the tip may have been damaged in winter storage. Good Luck.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

I had the same thing on my Conadria after it got hit with some colder air on a cool night.
      Youtube: PA Figs eBay: tdepoala
      Wishlist: Galicia Negra, Paritjal Rimada, Black Ischia UCD

Comment

Thanks for the opinions!
        I'll prune it off and keep my eye on it.
        Ed
        SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Agree with Pete.......it looks like it was damaged at some point and the plant responded by pushing the energy in to the two side shoots.
          Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Ed I am also experiencing this on one or two plants
            Rafael
            Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Frost damage. Cut it right above the new healthy growth and let it branch out.the plant looks very healthy.

Comment

• eboone
                eboone commented
                Editing a comment
                Damage from something, but I don't think it is frost. This plant was never exposed to frost to my knowledge - it was kept above 32 degrees in my 'cold room' under the front porch with the help of a small heater, and starting a month ago was shuffled in and out with my other fig plants, none of which were damaged, last move a couple weeks ago.
                Thanks all for taking a look at it for me!

I agree with everyone. I have several that did the same thing. Just weak energy at the tip.
              Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Eh, Mother Nature did your first pinch for you, and evidently it did a nice job too

Comment

Working...
                X