X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which figs to keep?

So I finally started planting some figs at my new house. So far I planted CDDB, JH Adratic, Malta Black, Black Maderia, Smith and RDB. I've got room for 4 more in ground plants. Just not sure which ones to plant. I've got TX BA-1 but not going to put it in the ground because Smith is supposedly identical. So I have a few more to chose from. VDB, Salce, MBvs, Improved Celeste, Scott's Black, CDDN (not 100% sure it's true to type yet), also a really small young CDDG. Probably going to keep the CDDG in a pot. I've tasted the Imp. Celeste and it was one of the best I had last season so it's going in the ground but the rest are still up in the air. What would you do? I can only keep a few in pots due to space.

Wow, nice lineup! Your giving me zone envy. I would go with VdB because it is different from what you have in ground, I hear a lot of good things about Scott s Black.
    Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
    Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

I tasted Scott's Black last year and it was good! It's loaded with figs right now so I may wait until the crop is done to plant it, if I plant it! Last season was its first time to fruit and it rained a lot during that time so it wasn't the best representation of SB. We shall see

Comment

VdB a/k/a Negronne is actually highly recommended for pot culture so you may want to leave that one in the pot. I cannot see what zone you are in but CdD Grise is the hardiest of the CDD family so that might be a good choice for in ground.
        Rafael
        Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

MBVS, hands down! It is the complete fig that keeps on giving.
          Frank Tallahasee 8B
          North Florida Figs

Comment

• Darkman
            Darkman commented
            Editing a comment
            You can't argue with the Doc's experience!

I'm in zone 9A/B where the two meet. I thought about keeping the VDB in a pot as well and MBvs is tall and spindly right now but every single leaf node has a fig sticking out of it! I see what you mean FMD! I don't have any experience with Salce but it also has a fig at every leaf node. What can yall tell me about Salce?

Comment

• FMD
            FMD commented
            Editing a comment
            I do not have Salce.

• Altadena Mara
            Altadena Mara commented
            Editing a comment
            Salce is a variety I’ve been interested in knowing more about myself. I don't have it but think it would do well here.
            Mario on another forum tells a story about as a child growing up in Italy, it was his favorite fig variety and they fed all the other figs to the pigs. He describes the flavor as “very sweet, caramel fruity flavor”. Others have compared the flavor to a peach or a tangerine. Steve describes it as: “Moderately sweet, slight seed crunch, no distinct flavors at first but a couple of minutes later noticed a slightly caramelized sugar aftertaste”.
            Like most fruit, the flavors get watered down after a rain, so it might not be as good in a more rainy climate.

MBVS is a great producer and delicious. A small-med fig if that matters.
          Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

If I had to prioritize, I would plant varieties that are different than the ones you currently have in ground. For me, that would be CDDG and Improved Celeste, in that order. There is no way, if I had a choice, that I would grow a top notch variety like CDDG in a pot in the deep south. But the problem for you is that most of the figs you are debating putting in the ground are all top notch varieties (good problem to have).

I would select varieties for the pots that can handle the heat and rain storms. Bearing in mind that varieties with a somewhat open eye can have a bad splitting problem if they are in pots when we are getting the summer downpours.

Comment

Asking for help on this decision will only yeld you opinions. People that grow in similar environments as you can tell you what cultivars do best for them, yet, no one can tell you which ones will taste best to you.

I would pay head to the wisdom of growers as far as hardyness, vigour and ability to ripen a crop, however I would only dedicate a spot in ground to the cultivars you and your family enjoy eating the most.
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

It would be great if you would offer the non-keepers here on our Sale/Trade forum.
                Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Thanks all, nice try Jerry!

Comment

I would sell your new house and buy a new house with MUCH more land.
                    Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

I agree with Wills and think that he should consider a dose of his own medicine. Lol
                      Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Working...
                      X