X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forever Tree Tags

For the last year+, I have been using the impress-o-tag style tags to label my trees. (http://www.amekron.com/). I've noticed that after little more than a year or two they are separating at the seams. I will likely still use them to label newly rooted trees, but I want something more permanent for my larger trees.

I've seen brass stamped tags before, but they are difficult to read once weathered. What I am considering doing is purchasing blank stainless steel dog tags and a stamp set. Does anyone have any better ideas? I can get the dog tags for about 30 cents each and will need at least 50. I looked at laser engraved pet tags, but at $2+ each that will get expensive fast.
    Youtube: PA Figs eBay: tdepoala
    Wishlist: Galicia Negra, Paritjal Rimada, Black Ischia UCD

I'm interested too. At the moment I have stick in tags, some with aluminum tags, and label maker stickers on most. Some young plants just have the name written on tape on the pot.

I'm planning on getting a stamping set and using can lids (I have a can opener that doesn't leave sharp edges). Can lids are free!
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

Kelby the can lids should work for a while, but they are bigger and lighter than I want. I imagine the constant flapping in the wind would snap the wire holding them on sooner or later. I also wondered about a wood burning kit and giving my trees tattoos

Comment

• Kelby
        Kelby commented
        Editing a comment
        I was going to get heavier gauge insulated wire and tie around the trunk. Shouldn't move except in wind where you have bigger problems!

There used to be a website which would print dog tags for you. They had an Excel template you put your information (I think up to 5 lines with ~14 characters per line). In quantity they were pretty reasonable, and seemed much more cost effective than punching the letters at home. I'll see if I can find it.
      Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
      N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

• PA Figs
        PA Figs commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes definitely let me know if you find the link!

I've noticed that after little more than a year or two they are separating at the seams.
      Not sure what you mean, where is the seam?
      The copper tags that you write on just the same don't have any seams. I like them so far, sure they tarnish and get dull but I can still read them just fine. And like Kelby said, some heavier gauge wire can be used, insulated or uninsulated and if you don't like to see twists you can use a double ferrule. Just give them plenty of slack to grow if you use the ferrule.
      Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
      Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

I use the DYMO Tapewriter Metal Tape EMbosser: http://amazon.com/DYMO-Tapewriter-Me...dp/B000FD7Z7I/

It comes with aluminum tape which can be torn if the tag is pulled on too hard. The stainless steel tape is much more durable. One roll of tape goes a long way. It may seem expensive, but I have hundreds of trees to label, so I think in the long run it is not so bad. It takes thirty seconds to punch out a label and it looks neat and clean.

Comment

• HarveyC
          HarveyC commented
          Editing a comment
          I've used this and it does not impress the stainless steel very well so I went back to aluminum but I found the process too slow and I'd sometimes make a mistake (typo) and have to start over.

• WillsC
          WillsC commented
          Editing a comment
          I bought one of the Dymos as well and it works FLAWLESSLY. Harvey there is an adjustment for the amount of pressure the device imparts to the tape. You have to turn it up for the stainless but when you do it works the same on aluminum or stainless.

I know it's pretty ghetto but I've thought about just using a pencil and pop can strips. Not sure about the longevity or the disadvantages though.
        Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

I like the Impress-o-tags for several years and have never seen any signs of separation. They are fast and easy and that's of great importance to me. I have bought larger size tags and tend to like those better since they give room for more info and are easier to spot.

I remember someone before reporting that they were separating on them but they had used a stamp to put in letters and apparently had punctured through the aluminum. I just write on them with a ball point pen and have never had an issue.
          My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

• PA Figs
            PA Figs commented
            Editing a comment
            I wonder if our humidity here has an effect on the cardboard inside them, swelling causing splits?

Given the time it takes to stamp a name, I think the laser engraved dog tags might be worth it. There are stamping machines for dog tags but they're very expensive.
          Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• HarveyC
            HarveyC commented
            Editing a comment
            link? I want to know exactly what kind of machine you're talking about for $5

• greenfig
            greenfig commented
            Editing a comment
            Harvey, not the machine, tags:
            https://www.etsy.com/listing/1764340...tag?ref=market

There are many different ones at different prices

• PA Figs
            PA Figs commented
            Editing a comment
            $5 times 50+ trees will get expensive fast

Three year old copper tag; who can guess the name?

Backside of the tag is a bit better:

Cheap metal tag:

Cheap plastic tag with carpenter's pencil (4 yrs old):

Not so impressed o tags (2 yrs old):

Now that I look closely, the cheap plastic label with carpenter's pencil seems to be kickin butt!

Comment

• jmaler
            jmaler commented
            Editing a comment
            A little steel wool rubbed on that copper tag will make it more readable. Spray it with some type of clear sealer. I hope so because I just received 100 of those little suckers.

• don_sanders
            don_sanders commented
            Editing a comment
            Haha, I like it. Pencil and cheap plastic :-)

• cis4elk
            cis4elk commented
            Editing a comment
            Ronde de Brodeaux!

Here you go buddy,

$14.99 36 Piece 1/4 in. Steel Letter/Number Stamping Set
          http://www.harborfreight.com/36-piec...set-60671.html

or
          $22.99 36 Piece 3/8 in. Steel Letter/Number Stamping Set

http://www.harborfreight.com/36-Piece-38-in-Steel-LetterNumber-Stamping-Set-60669.html

Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

• PA Figs
            PA Figs commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Shailesh!

I have an engraving tool I bought 30 years ago. I just havent decided what I want to use as tags.
          Jeff in 6a

Comment

• jmaler
            jmaler commented
            Editing a comment
            SS Blank dogtags $23/100
            http://www.ballchain.com/estore/merc...ct_Code=SSTAGS

The engraving tool is a good idea.

• figherder
            figherder commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you. Looks like a great resource

• greenfig
            greenfig commented
            Editing a comment
            I like the link jmaler provided. For about $1 I can have a very nice tag that will last forever ! For $1.50 they will make it in color with a UV protection.

These are also 3 yrs old. It's important to set the tag on top of something like a magazine when you write in it with a ball point pen. Maybe writing a bit bigger would help also. Mine were very easy to write on. The only thing that makes them hard to read is the camera glare.

I will eventually go to a thicker gauge wire and double ferrule, I think these tags work great.
          In the end, if you don't like them..you don't like them. I hope you find something you like.

Comment

• PA Figs
            PA Figs commented
            Editing a comment
            Calvin for some reason your pictures aren't showing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tags.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	19319 I bought one of the Dymos as well and it works FLAWLESSLY. Harvey there is an adjustment for the amount of pressure the device imparts to the tape. You have to turn it up for the stainless but when you do it works the same on aluminum or stainless.
          Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

• Hershell
            Hershell commented
            Editing a comment
            Never mind the tag, I just want that tree!

• Coop
            Coop commented
            Editing a comment
            I second what Hershell said. Wills, I think that could be the next crazy hot tree on eBay

• Taverna78
            Taverna78 commented
            Editing a comment
            Especially with that fancy look tag! I just give you $1.00 ea and have you print my tags out ahaha!!

Business idea lol?

Will, those look great...is that copper for dymo's?.....stainless with the same stamp set?

We have a small nursery where id is imperative....especially when we are hybridizing...and then speading out the seeds....what we found was...avery all weather, waterproof labels, applied to those cheap metal stakes in the above photos with "paint pen" markers...works for 7-8 years...in the sun. At that length of time the stakes are usually pulled and redone....for our display garden we use a laser printer on the same tags with a 7-10 year good clear use from them.

but with the life expectancy of our figs...I'd be looking at something like the plate sent into space with "ager"....(voyager). Those copper tags, in an appropriate thickness....I think would outlast us...which is what our trees will do...in some cases.

occaisionally, copper roofs are torn down or copper paneling taken out...so salvage yards are a possiblity...but even then I've seen copper scrap at 4.00 per pound....if you only buy it once, and stamp it one time...the time spent is neglible...taking the time to do it right the first time is time well spent.

Those Harbor fright....sp.....stamps are great
          Last edited by rusty hooks; 05-16-2015, 02:41 PM.
          Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Ross,

No that is actually stainless steel, it is just reflecting some light which was orangish I guess. For the dymo you can get stainless or aluminum tapes, I think the stainless is perfect. The Dymo is a great gadget, it is HEAVY duty.
            Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Permanent Tags...

Heavy Aluminum Angle Flashing (4.5" x 4.5") cut into 1" wide by 3-1/2" and 4-0" long strips both ends doubled, stamped with Harbor Freight 1/4" Stamping Set, drilled with 1/4" mounting hole and attached to tree with 12" (one loop) of solid 14 gauge copper electrical wire.

Name:	IMG_5108.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	19378 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5113.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	19379

BTW, the Stamping Set was purchased on sale last year with a 25% Off coupon for less than $10.00. The wire and angle flashing was "laying around" but the Flashing costs $15.00 for 10 feet, enough to make 216 tags with 10% waste (240 without factoring waste).
              Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

I'm a real sucker for "repurposing" materials.....

my wife says its junk...until I turn it into a silk purse...
                Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Pete,

I was planning to do basically the same thing. Stamping set from Harbor Freight and roll metal from the hardware store. I am going to use tool dip on the edges to protect trees and add the date I acquired the specimen, and where I acquired the specimen from.
                  Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• AscPete
                    AscPete commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The Flashing and Stamping Set were recommended by a forum member in an older post 2 years ago. The heavier gauge Angle Flashing comes with 2 factory turned edges, doesn't develop any sharp edges or burrs and is easily filed and or hammered smooth, eliminating the need for an "edge treatment" unlike thinner metals and aluminum soda cans. All my tags will also include a suffix with the source of the cultivar, as shown (EL = Edible Landscaping).

• COGardener
                    COGardener commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The edge protection may not be nessisary, I just want to do it. I'm also going to round the corners and so on.

2nd try, daytime pics.

Name:	20150516_101959.jpg
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	19399

Name:	20150516_102030.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	19400

Name:	20150516_102045.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	19401

Comment

• AscPete
                    AscPete commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice penmanship.... and Tags

• cis4elk
                    cis4elk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Pete. My wife always tells me she can't read my writing, and I say I can write nice when I want to. Usually she is reading things I write for myself in a hurry like a shopping list, I know what it says and that's all that matters. It's probably a good thing she has never read my tree tags..she'd be all "Sure, you'll write nice for your stupid figs but I can barely read a thing on the fridge note board!". _
                    Last edited by cis4elk; 05-17-2015, 03:53 PM.

I was just reading this post and have been interested in the Dymos like Willis has, so I looked on Ebay and ran across this one I couldn't believe when I saw Buy it Now $24.00 It looked brand new and I read the description
                  Known issues/defects:
                  It seems to be jammed up. It could just need oil or there could be something more serious wrong with it. The character
                  wheel that's in it is damaged and probably needs to be replaced. This would be a good purchase for someone who is
                  good with mechanical things.)

I then went and looked up the company and found out there repair center is 3 minutes from my house
                  so I hit the Buy it Now It will probably cost me $200.00 to fix it LOL
                  "YOU KNOW THE SAYING IF IT LOOKS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT PROBABLY IS" Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	19528
                  Last edited by Dave; 05-17-2015, 02:13 PM.
                  Wish List -

Comment

I wonder how it is jammed up? I guess you will find out

Comment

I can't imagine hand stamping or squeezing 100 labels 1 letter at a time, and it gets worse with every 100 that goes by. And that's not even thinking about the inevitable mistakes...

Has anyone tried any of the Brother machines using this tape? You send the labels in bulk from your PC via USB cable to one of their label printers. They claim it's durable outdoors. I sent them an email asking how long the label will be legible.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Lamina...9JZ8GMTG1EGWAR
                      Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• Harborseal
                        Harborseal commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What brand of tape? The Brother tape is laminated after printing and they claim it's more durable that all of the others. Dymo only recommends their plastic tape for indoors. So far on Amazon one guy says it lasts forever and another says it only lasts 6 months. I'm hoping for more comments.

• AscPete
                        AscPete commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Its the Brother TZ 3/4" tape... in Yellow and White, both with black lettering. Its laminated during the printing process, the laminated lettering is sturdy, it lasts for years (over a decade so far indoors) but the tape's adhesive backing may be the weak link.

• Harborseal
                        Harborseal commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm not going to use the adhesive. I'm going to use the 1" tape and punch a hole in it and attach with a zip tie. Or at least that's the plan now until I hear more. I haven't bought it yet

Bob,

I'm just using the dymo for the permanent tags on the in ground trees. For the rest a silver metallic sharpie on the pot is good enough for me.

Comment

Bob C,
                        I use Elmers Painters to write on the cuttings and main stems as temporary ID's, but am in the process of labeling all the cultivated fruiting plants with the stamped metal tags they are cheap, easy to make, reusable and will never need to be redone....

Name:	IMG_5144.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	19678 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5121.jpg
Size:	367.9 KB
ID:	19677 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5124.jpg
Size:	308.2 KB