X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Drives Me Crazy

The temps in the area are expected to drop this weekend. So I check the WeatherBug app for details. Looking at the 10 day forecast, are low tonight will be 35F. The detail for the day shows the range to be anywhere from 29-37F. However, the hourly forecast ON THE SAME SITE never shows a temp lower than 42F. WTF??? They give an 8 degree range and miss it by 5. Am I missing something?

They have same issue for Saturday. The low is listed at 38F with a chance of wintery mix. The hourly forecast never shows us below 44F and during the time we are expecting precipitation, the temps are forecast to be 51F.

Weather.com has the same issue, but I like their forecast better since I don't have to haul the trees in. How the hell does the detail not support the summary?

Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
    N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

I hear you Bijan. If it makes any difference, Accuweather app says 40 for Sat and Sun night. Which means I still have to watch the local weather before I decide, and go outside and do the breath test if it's close. You being a little closer to the foothills may make a difference, but for me 38 is the magic number which means I have to haul them in.
    Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
    Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

I like NOAA, usually spot on.
      https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
      SE PA
      Zone 6

Comment

http://www.wunderground.com/ has good forecasts and historical data. For your site you have to find out which forecast was made more recently.
        Bob C.
        Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

http://www.wunderground.com/ has good forecasts and historical data. One of those forecasts you read was made later and with updated data. You have to find out which forecast was developed more recently.
          Bob C.
          Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

http://www.wunderground.com/ has good forecasts and historical data. One of your forecasts was made later with updated data. You just have to find out which one was developed later.
            Bob C.
            Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

I use NOAA as well and find it to be the most accurate for the area I live in.
              Windham CT zone 6a

Comment

Last Sunday and Monday, we had 90F temperatures. Then on Wednesday night we got frost. I covered the trees, but some of them got small amounts of frost damage (killed leaves) through the sheets where they were laying right on top of leaves. Warmed up again, and the trees are recovering. But crazy swings in temperature. I guess best to get used to this... I mean it's always been very changeable, but predictions are that the swings will increase in intensity over this century.
                Last edited by MichaelTucson; 05-17-2015, 09:26 PM. Reason: just fixed a typo right after I posted.
                Mike -- central NY state, zone 5a -- pauca sed matura

Comment

Move back to TX
                  Sas North Austin, TX Zone 8B

Comment

I wish! Besides the issue with fig trees in Colorado, my post winter weight is at least 15# heavier than when I was in Texas. I'm not sure there is enough time for me to get rid of it before we are back in winter mode.

Bob, the forecast on the Wunderground app is about the same as Weatherbug, and it has the same issue with the details not supporting the summary.

Comment

It was warmer here in March than it is now, it was barley 40F yesterday.

Plus, and I'm not complaining, we've had nothing but rain for the last there weeks. It's great since we've been in a drought for 15 years. I think I've gotten more rain at my house in the last there weeks then the previous 10 years.

I'm loving the rain, just wish it was spread out. The plus is that our reservoirs are finally full! !! Hopefully no water restrictions this year.
                      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I should have brought my trees in last night. Generally, my cut off is if the forecast is less than ~38F in case they are off a few degrees. Last night was supposed to get down to 34F, but we didn't go below 36F. Everybody is talking about how unusual this rain is. It's great, but my trees need some heat.

Comment

Everything is delayed with this weather. I did not bring my 2 plus year old trees in, but I did bring in the TC trees and the freshly potted cuttings. I also brought some other plants in, no drainage holes in the decretive pots they are in, I am sick of dumping them. So they are now out of the rain and hanging in the garage until this clears. I have only planted a small portion of my garden do to over night lows.... I'm just letting the plants hang out in my garage greenhouse.
                          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I'm all sympathy. I live in northeastern CT and we've been having a lot of days in the low 80s and high 70s for several weeks. Now we may be looking at high 30s at night. My glassed in porch is going to be having a sleepover of figs and other tender plants tonight and for the next few coming.

They've upgraded our agricultural area to zone 6a, but I'm still calling it 5. Our weather is just too unpredictable and in the hills where I live we tend more toward cold than not.
                            Windham CT zone 6a

Comment

Working...
                            X