X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's see some garden/orchard pictures!

We're getting into the swing of the season, let's share some pictures of your gardens and orchards!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Cute helper!
    I've been prohibited from yardwork until I get the eternal bathroom remodel finished, I'm so close. Of course I still find a bit of time to mess with the fig trees and have planted a few seeds, but my yard needs work! I'm hoping to get some in this week. I have 2 new blueberry bushes and a couple dozen strawberry plants in the garage fridge waiting patiently for me. For the last few weeks it's been like Seattle Colorado around here, so that helps keep me focused..sort-of..a person can't do much yard work during a down pour.
    Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
    Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

The driveway orchard, the kiddies in the greenhouse (there are also a lemon and an orange in the greenhouse).
      Rafael
      Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• cis4elk
        cis4elk commented
        Editing a comment
        Good idea for the birds, I'm not big on sharing either.
        Haha, I'm talking about the wheeled platform under the big pot. Second one from the left in the front row in your picture, looks like one of Bill's set ups. I'm pretty sure it's a Devault pot dolly under it, but I could be wrong. I bought 3 every year for a few years from HomeDepot online, free shipping. Waaay easier on the back, they cost around $18 each so that's why I just picked up a few a year, costs much less than a visit to the Doc. When you're just rolling the biggest pots around on slab, it's like a dream come true. They are well built and very sturdy too.

• Chrisk
        Chrisk commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful yard Rafael. Looks like a little oasis and your fig trees look super healthy! Great stuff man.

• Rafaelissimmo
        Rafaelissimmo commented
        Editing a comment
        Chris thanks for the complement! Cal, the dolly was donated by my father in law, who is a contractor, I think he built it. That is a Bill's SIP and I use it to shlep the pot out of the garage, but you still have to figure a way to lift the huge pot onto it. Needs 2 people unfortunately!

that is not fair Kelby.
      how can i post anything after you used a super model in the last 2 pictures.
      andreas-patras Peloponnisos Greece zone 9a

Comment

• Kelby
        Kelby commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha, thanks Andreas!

• rusty hooks
        rusty hooks commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm assuming that's why his trees are pruned low...for the super model...

cute Kelby

Very nice guy's,so neat and organized.I kind of "Jumped the shark"a while ago.Last couple of photo's
      are whats working for me right now.

Cheers,

Paul
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 9 photos.
      Paul Robert,Simi Valley,Ca. 9b

Comment

• Chrisk
        Chrisk commented
        Editing a comment
        No words Paul!! I would live in the RV for the rest of my days just so that I could steal a glimpse of your garden every morning when I wake up!
        ( and of course gardensit for you when you take your late August ,three week vacation!)

• chauqg
        chauqg commented
        Editing a comment
        Paul ..... Looks like you're living in figtopia. Congrats very nice, setting and setup!

• tyro
        tyro commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks guy's.I've got to keep the wife off this thread because if she see's how pretty
        some of your gardens are the frying pan is going to come out!

Cheers,

Paul

Here's some persimmon grafts I did 2 weeks ago, Izu and Saijo. I'm excited they took! You can see the whole trees in one of the pictures with foil around the graft unions.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
      https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
      SE PA
      Zone 6

Comment

• Kelby
        Kelby commented
        Editing a comment
        I used that link as a guide, actually. I did whip and tounge with grafting rubbers and wrapped it all in parafilm. Removed all other growth (they were seedling trees) and keep rubbing off buds that appear.

• Charitup
        Charitup commented
        Editing a comment
        Kelby you are doing great with the grafting. I tried to graft around 20 persimmions. My first time to try so far only one has took and Strudeldog came by one day and did it. It's a Nikita's Gift. None of what I did seem to be working. How long should you keep rubbing of new buds before you give up and let them grow in hopes of trying grafting again next year.

• Kelby
        Kelby commented
        Editing a comment
        Goss, just saw your comment, sorry! This is my first time doing persimmons, so I don't really have good answers for you from experience, just what I've read.

My understanding is that timing is critical for persimmons, the rootstocks should be leafed out before grafting. Pressure is also very important for the graft union, I tied my grafting rubbers really tight. I guess just keep checking the scions to see if they are green? Or just call it a day and try next year, I really don't know. Hopefully some of that helped .

I'm growing some seedling persimmons (got some of the seeds from strudeldog), Nikita's Gift is one I hope to get scions for next year to graft them with. I've read nothing but great things about it.

Grafting is addictive! Now I've got a pear tree with 8 (9?) different types on it, an apple with 4 or 5, a plum with 3, and so forth.

A few shots from the parts of the garden. The rest of my garden isn't too exciting yet.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
      Johnny
      Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

• Chrisk
        Chrisk commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful yard Johnny. Love those blue buckets too! With the fig trees in them of course. Thanks for sharing!

Very nice gardens. Its great to get to see how others arrange things.
      Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Some figs and greens.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
        Tony WV 6b
        https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

• Kelby
          Kelby commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks good! I like your helper.

• Chrisk
          Chrisk commented
          Editing a comment
          Dude!!! Fig mountain! Looks awesome Tony and very natural.

My potted orchard...

Youtube: PA Figs eBay: tdepoala
        Wishlist: Galicia Negra, Paritjal Rimada, Black Ischia UCD

Comment

• tyro
          tyro commented
          Editing a comment
          Acreage envy!Very nice.

• Chrisk
          Chrisk commented
          Editing a comment
          Very neat setup Johnny. Well done!

Very Nice, What size containers are these and are they buried in ground?

Paul I like that tomato! What varieties is your grape fence made of?
        Sas North Austin, TX Zone 8B

Comment

• tyro
          tyro commented
          Editing a comment
          Black Emerald,Princess and Autumn Royal.Princess is the most productive for me.

Sas there are a bunch of different sizes; 25g/20g/5g SWP, 75g/20g/15g/5g pots with holes just on the sides buried a few inches in the ground. For the SWPs, only the 5g are buried for stability.
        Youtube: PA Figs eBay: tdepoala
        Wishlist: Galicia Negra, Paritjal Rimada, Black Ischia UCD

Comment

Tis is couple farm pictures. Green house almost done. We wait for plastic. And orchard would have been more green and lush but we all know what happened past winter and hungry animals.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 9 photos.
          Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
          1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
          2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• Chrisk
            Chrisk commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome pics Mike,especially the last one. Thanks for sharing.

Your orchards/gardens look so neat! I will upload some pics of my fig ghetto tonight lol
          Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
          Zone 8B

Comment

Originally posted by Kelby View Post
            We're getting into the swing of the season, let's share some pictures of your gardens and orchards!

Kelby, have you considered making openings in the bank cairns, eliminating the grass between them, and running parallel low cordons the length of the bank - mulching the bank rows in winter? With enough mulch, would seem to be an easy way to preserve a lot of fig wood over winter, for growing fruiting branches above come spring. I'm considering parallel low cordons myself rather than single file cordons, because if fig limbs here don't get enough shading during summer afternoon heat they wilt or at least droop and curl more than I would like. I've packed my fig pots together more tightly this year to try to create a cooling shading effect.
            Tony WV 6b
            https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

• Kelby
              Kelby commented
              Editing a comment
              It is something I've considered, I think I want to find what varieties I like best and grow best for me before doing that though.

It's a little tough to see in the picture but there are ornamental plants in between each rock well, mostly things to feed birds in the winter (bayberry, winterberry, red twig dogwood etc). Have to work in some non-fruiting things to keep the spouse happy .

And I'm slowly trying to eliminate all of my grass. I hate mowing. Alas, my daughter does enjoy playing in the yard, so some of it will remain.

• mountainfigs
              mountainfigs commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm also leaving some yard for similar reasons.

Whatever you are growing between the rock wells on the bank though, that looks like a great stretch to plant more of anything but grass and then simply run fig cordons right through any planting, or up to it and back. An idea at least. I'm going to try to run fig cordons essentially under and/or along holly bushes, rose bushes, smoke bushes, and a variety of woody ground cover, and whatever else may or may not seem to be in the way. Especially with careful pruning, I think all can co-exist quite well and maybe even enhance and/or protect and shade one another. My hollies can use some shade in the summer and can offer come limited protection from cold and wind in the winter, for example. I'll see how it goes.

Here's my sip system of unknown figs propagated from cuttings between November and December.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
            Don - OH Zone 5b/6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Craven's Craving, Calderona, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba

Comment

• jkuo
              jkuo commented
              Editing a comment
              That's a nice looking setup. How is the tubing coupled to the reservoir buckets? It looks like the tubing is just running into the buckets.

• don_sanders
              don_sanders commented
              Editing a comment
              11/16" hole using a step drill bit with 5/8" garden drinking hose (lead/phalate free) wedged into place with a 5/8" nylon barb connector. Seems to be water tight so far this year. Not sure how it will hold up over time. The hole does have to be perfectly round and smooth. The wood paddle type bits do not work well.

I have a 5 gallon chicken waterer style reservoir bucket off to the side attach to the system as well. Just caulked the lid on the bucket with aquarium caulk and added the same type of tube coming out of the bottom of the bucket to the desired length. Invert the bucket and fill through the tube as needed.

http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing...313-c-8553.htm

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Drill-Amer...l-Bit/24304813

• AscPete
              AscPete commented
              Editing a comment
              Don,
              You could add 3/4 inch Hydro Flow Rubber Grommet in the buckets, 3/4" grommet seals 3/4"(19mm) fitting in 1"(25mm) hole size, http://www.hydro-flowproducts.com/pr...-grommets.aspx
              . I have them set up as overflows with water hose. I also have the 1/2" grommets (3/4" holes) in the bottom of 5 gallon buckets (Fill and Drain) with 1/2' vinyl tubing, https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=57&v=Z8Hqgngm-zk . All Grommets are available from Hydroponics stores and *bay... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydro-Flow-R...item4ae7e58e20 . I purchased my step bits from Harbor Freight with sales coupons, http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...tep+drill+bits
              Last edited by AscPete; 05-22-2015, 11:23 PM. Reason: Added Alaska Grow Bucket Link.

First two thirds of the garden is traditional tomatoes, peppers,cukes,ect. Added drip irrigation system this year. Lawn clippings between rows stops weeds and admends soil. Deer netting deters deer. Back third is this years rooted cuttings in two gal pots. Last row will be TC figs when they are hardened off to the sun. Waiting for drip emmiters for second zone strictly for figs. Will also wrap with deer net.
            Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

• Chrisk
              Chrisk commented
              Editing a comment
              Love it Dave. Very well put together and all business ! Great work!

• dobemom
              dobemom commented
              Editing a comment
              I was just in Waterford today doing some chores. I'm always amazed at how different the climate is on the shoreline from the northeast hills of CT. I'm a tad envious! I just had some leaf damage from cold and wind last week.

Well done for starting this thread Kelby! It's really amazing to see how much time and effort everyone puts into gardening and growing things out of nothing. The most astonishing thing to me is that even though everyone's yard- garden- orchard looks so different , I would never be able to chose one as the "best" because each and every one has its own personality,just like their creators ,I guess. Thanks all for sharing this very private and personal part of your lives with the rest of the forum. I will take some pics of my sorry .... Back yard and post tomorrow! Have a good night

Comment

Here are a few photos of my garden. The first is a swiped Google Earth image that shows my garden and orchard from sometime in late spring last year. It's a work in progress, though that may be difficult to tell from this height. The second photo is from atop my house and is from maybe three or four weeks earlier than the Google Earth image. Third is what my typical fall vegetable garden looks like. This one was from 2012. The fourth is what a proud gardener likes to show off during harvest season. The final photo is my obligatory fig forest image from part of my collection last year. I'd like that one to be purtier, but I need to work on my photography technique, which mostly doesn't exist beyond point, maybe check where the sun is, and shoot.
              Neil
              Reno, 6b

Comment

• Kelby
                Kelby commented
                Editing a comment
                Very impressive, Neil! You must have to irrigate a lot, I don't envy you that.

The google earth shot of my house is several years old, nothing I've done shows up, sadly.

• Posturedoc
                Posturedoc commented
                Editing a comment
                There is definitely some surplus that gets distributed to family, friends and neighbors, Tyro. We process quite a few berries, tomatoes, peppers and winter squash, freezing most because it's easier than canning, though we do some of that too. I'd like to be able to say I share a lot of tree fruit too, but deer damage (finally permanently fenced out this winter) and a late frost-prone microclimate in an already late frost-prone region has made most of my tree fruit scarce. This year I've still got a healthy crop on my mid and late blooming apples, so I may be able to share or, better, make some hard cider. We'll see.

Kelby, everything but the figs is on drip, and I'll get their area set up for that in the next couple of weeks. I water the vegetable garden daily (up to twice for 5-8 minutes as it gets hot and crops are really growing) and the orchard deeply two to three times a week once the temps are regularly in the mid 80s, sometime in June around here. I'll water less frequently if I ever get a deep mulch spread throughout the orchard, but it's on a fairly steep hillside and I've got to cut some paths through it and try to level out the tree terraces that process will create before I start seriously mulching. Call it my retirement project, but that doesn't come for five or so more years. Meanwhile, I'm going to build a gray water system and sink a cistern or two for storing it and any rainwater I catch during the warm months, just in case the drought out west extends to the point that we have to drastically reduce or even shut off our irrigation during future summers. That would be catastrophic. I'm happy to get rid of most or all of the lawn and would have done so long ago except that the wife doesn't like that suggestion very much, but if I lose the orchard I've worked so long and hard to build, well, I don't even want to think about that.

• chauqg
                chauqg commented
                Editing a comment
                forget about the photography, you are a natural in the soil. Very impressive.

Yea. That's a WHOW!
              Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Some of my trees.
                Sas North Austin, TX Zone 8B

Comment

• tyro
                  tyro commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice Sas,With the spacing looks like you plan to grow proper tree's in the orchard section.

Cheer's,

Paul

• Sas
                  Sas commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's not really an orchard, I'm on the Golf course and had to get permission to plant these trees. Not sure if I could handle any more trees, for mowing the lawn would become much more time consuming.

Here are a few....
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 8 photos.
                Dennis
                Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

• jkuo
                  jkuo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think you made a typo. "Few" should be "forest." That is an enviable collection of trees.

Dennis ment a "few hundred " Johnny!

Comment

Here's some of my trees. There's a big difference from my GH trees and the ones by my house. The ones by my house got frosted a few weeks and lost all of their leaves. You can see they are coming back but I lost loads of breba.
                  Attached Files
                  Art
                  Western Pa -6a

Comment

• Rewton
                    Rewton commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Beautiful collection, Art! I think I recognize the leaf shape of the fig in the lower left-hand corner of pic 4858.

• Kelby
                    Kelby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks great, Art!

• Chrisk
                    Chrisk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great stuff Art. Thanks for sharing.

This year our garden is really not kicking yet, so I thought you all might enjoy some previous garden shots. Currently the only things that are in are flowers, asparagus and 300 heads of garlic. I've been trying my luck at propagation using cuttings. We have 13 cuttings in medium and 15 more just cut wrapped & in ziplock. I'll upload some fig tree shots soon, but I only have four 12-15" potted baby trees. I'm new to the figs, but I hope to broaden my collection and be able to enjoy some fresh figs. You are all so very helpful......Thank You!

AN ASIDE: Because of ground hogs this year we are moving all leafy veggies to our patio. The 11 ft garden/deer fence works great for deer, but just can't get ahead of the whistle pigs....Any suggestions are welcome. Just received 4 3' wide 8cu foot planters. Working on making soil, filling and positioning them today. They might end up with fig trees in a few years.

Cheerz
                  Chauqg Zone 6b North of Pittsburgh

Comment

• Kelby
                    Kelby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This isn't helpful comment, but my dad used to sit in a window with a .22 rifle to shoot groundhogs before they got into the sand mound.

Good looking gardens!

• jkuo
                    jkuo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I also have problems with groundhogs. I've been trying to trap them without much success. They mow down everything here: flowers, greens, tomatoes, eggplants, and basically anything with leaves. I'm going to move my leafy veggies to the front yard.

• eboone
                    eboone commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If you cannot shoot them in your neighborhood, try live trapping them. I have had success using pieces of apple or peach as bait for groundhogs (since they like to climb my peach and apple trees to eat those)
                Working...
                X