X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member from San Diego

Hello Everyone

This is my first year growing figs and I am learning a little bit more each day. I have already contracted a pretty advanced case of fig fever. I started with three figs, got 3 more TC figs from Baker Creek (which seem to be struggling), and just recently purchased three more. I have enjoyed reading the posts and learning from your experience.

Welcome, sounds like you have a good start..
    Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

Welcome Shawn.
      Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

welcome, this is the place where fig-natics get their fix
        Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Welcome Shawn
          New Bern NC Zone 8a ,Wish list : Col de Dame Rimada ,Galica Negra

Comment

Welcome Shawn.

Put your TC plants in the shade, spend a few weeks hardening them off. I had the same issue last year with my first two TC figs. I bought an additional 4 this winter and started hardening them under metal halide lighting in my garage greenhouse. They are now in morning sun only and doing great.
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Welcome to Ourfigs Shawn!
              newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Welcome Shawn from another newbie
                Vincent Canada Québec zone5

Comment

Welcome! What varieties do you have?
                  Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Bob,

Including the TC I have Ronde De Bordeaux, Violette De Bordeaux, Celestial, Magnolia (TC), Yellow Long Neck (TC), Unk LSU (Probably Purple)(TC), Panache, Deanna, Peter's Honey.

Scott,

Thanks for the suggestions for care on the TC figs. How did you pot your TC figs? I have mine in small jiffy pots (I dont remember the size). How wet did you keep the potting medium and how often did you fertilize and with what?

Thanks!
                    Shawn

Comment

Shawn,

I started my first two in one gallon nursery pots, this time I went straight to 3 gallon nursery pots. I use a much heavier soil then most people, it is a premium top soil and compost mix. It retains water quite well requiring far less water which I find useful living in an arid area that typically has water restrictions. Do to the high nutrient level in the soil compost mix I have yet to fertilize the original TC's and now that they have been moved up to 3 gallon pots I likely wont fertilize them this year due to the high nutrient level present from the compost.

Now, with all of that said, before placing the new TC figs into the 3 gallon pots I put them in to 4" plastic pots with a fast draining lose soil mix. While they were in the garage greenhouse under the metal halide, I watered them generously and daily. With nothing to hold water under them in the greenhouse, the soil dried out very fast. Outside in the 3 gallon pots, the watering will be based on the weather. I imagine they will only need water once a week or so, my 3rd season trees started as cuttings that are now in 15 + gallon pots with the same soil compost mix. They typically go for two or three weeks in between watering even in the heat of the summer. If I see a little wilt ahead of schedule, I give them a couple inches of water in the top of the pot.
                      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

You have some great varieties. After 500 more you'll have most of what you want
                        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Hi, Shawn! As a newbie Myself, I think the bug has hit you hard!
                          Windham CT zone 6a

Comment

Welcome Shawn. Hang on, it's a wild ride!
                            Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Welcome Shawn from another newbie. You're going to learn a lot from some very knowledgeable people
                              Ray in Columbia, SC Zone 8

Comment

Hey Shawn welcome
                                Chauqg Zone 6b North of Pittsburgh

Comment

Working...
                                X