X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Surinam Cherry

I think they are absolutely amazing! I have a large tree growing in southern california and its one of my favorites. Is anybody out there growing these too? If so.....what varieties do you think are good?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Quy
    SoCal, Zone 9b

Have a couple of small ones I took from Hershell and Nate sent me Lolita from Hawaii.
    Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

I've heard the quality of fruit completely depends on the plant because some are very resinous. The one i have has perfect acidity and has an amazing tropical flavor. I tried Lolita(they called it black thai cherry) at the nursery the same time i bought my tree 3 years ago and it was really good. They wanted $400 per tree....so i only bought the one tree i have.(couldn't justify buying 2 trees for $800!) Its a pretty rare plant to come by on the west coast....i haven't seen them sold since.
      Quy
      SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

Wow.......that is pretty pricey, how big was the tree?
        Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

It was about 4 feet tall in a 15 gallon pot. When i bought it it was loaded with fruit. I put it in the ground late that summer and it didnt have fruit for two years ( possibly shock). It just started to have fruit again this past year.
          Quy
          SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

The seeds are really easy to grow.....but they grow pretty slow. I have a 3 year old plant that i grew from seed that same summer and it is about a 18 inches in height and a foot in width.
            Quy
            SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

I have a couple of them that did well the first year I planted them, and they made a few fruits that I enjoyed. Now, the foliage is sparse and I wonder if they are going to die soon.

Comment

Paul, have you got in touch with Ben lately?
                My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

No, I should have gone and seen him when he invited me the first time. He had told me to get back to him in 3 days and I waited 3 months. Now I can't get a response out of him.

Comment

I don't personally grow Surinam Cherry, but my best friend across the street does. I think it was a seeding, not a cutting grown plant because, like Q said, they are easy to grow from seed, like loquat. It is slow growing and at 6 years old, its still shrubby in size, around 4 ft tall x 5ft wide, but it started producing lightly the second year in the ground. Her's is an attractive plant in the landscape. The fruit tastes a bit like REALLY sweet red bell pepper when ripe. It produces off and on through out most of the year here in SoCal. If the fruit is picked too early they are kind of bitter, but i wouldn't call them reinous, at least not as much as Strawberry guava. They need to be the color of a bing cherry to taste good, in my opinion.

Most years the O.C. CRFG booth at green scene at the Fullerton arboretum in April has some for sale, but none of the trees are ever super large. I think they were about $8 or $10 this year in qt size. That was the size my friend started with.
                    Coastal SoCal/ USDA Zone 10b / Sunset 22 / AHS Heat zone 2

Comment

Working...
                    X