X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needing some advice on new transplants

Hello all,

Just recently potted up some cuttings from small pots (1/2 gallon) to larger pots (3-5 gallon). They've not really recovered yet, and its been 2 weeks. Out of 10 or so transplants, only 1 has lost any leaves...so that's good...but only one has put on new growth since the transplant, and all current growth on the other plants is stopped. They're in full sun, and are otherwise healthy.

My biggest fear: the potting mix I used. I used some crap "hyponex" from scott's (which gets terrible online reviews, as it turns out...hindsight is 20/20 I guess) and mixed it with maybe 20% perlite and 10% pine bark. Seems to retain water disturbingly well. I regretted using it instantly, but I thought it would be a bad idea to re-dig all of them up and re-pot in something else. At least the initial root ball is in a super airy mix which should help it from drowning.

In short...what would you all do? Wait it out? Re-pot? Fertilize?

Thanks in advance.
    Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

I'd re-pot, if the plants were fully hardened and the root balls were undisturbed, they could be re potted into a better growing medium. Planting a fast draining mix and root ball plug into a slower draining mix is like plugging the drain holes of the original plug container. Good Luck.

BTW, Why is "Fertilize" an option? Wasn't fertilizer included as part of the re-potting process?
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Thanks for the input. Some folks fertilize the crap out of their plants to stimulate growth. Since most of the root ball is in perlite/pine bark/peat, I figure there are not a ton of nutrients in there, and that fertilizing may help.

Comment

You're welcome and thanks for your reply.

There are little to no available nutrients in most potting mixes (unless its added) which is the reason why I asked the question about fertilizer. A fertilizer schedule and balanced fertilizer applications should help maintain a constant steady growth in almost any medium and is necessary in potted culture.
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Try that supplement butts was talking of in Bi39 post. I'm using it and is amazing.
          Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
          1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
          2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Went out this morning and took a look. 3 plants broke bud through the night, amazingly. As the root balls were good but not great when I re-potted them, and I'd rather not stunt them again, I think I'll re-pot them in 10 gallon pots when they go dormant this fall. If they hadn't broken bud by the end of the holiday weekend, I probably would have followed your advice, Pete. As they have...I guess I'll roll with it for the time being.

Regrettably, the one plant that was doing poorly lost its last leaf (I messed up its root ball pretty bad re-potting it). Hopefully it can sprout new growth sooner or later. On the plus side, it's duplicate plant broke bud, so I hopefully won't lose the variety.

I'm also making a fertilizing calendar to help me remember when/how much to fertilize. I'd love to have some 3+ foot tall plants by the end of the summer...I'd feel much better about their chances to survive.

Comment

• drphil69
              drphil69 commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you will be shocked by how fast they grow if properly fertilized and maintaining a single stem. I've found that Pete gives great advice, follow it and you will be in good shape.

I've had many trees that appear to do nothing after up potting. My bet is they are producing roots. Then they take off.

The supplement Taverna is talking about is called Dark Energy - your local hydroponic shop should either have it, or be willing to order it for you. For the nutrition Side I believe Taverna is using the Roots Organics Buddha Grow
            Buddha grow will have the big macro nutrients and such, Dark energy is a blend of L-amino acids (Organic Nitrogen) Dark energy helps to push explosive growth.

A side note - The hydroponics store I work for is going to be launching a new website and I will be pushing for an ourfigs discount

Comment

Discount is good idea butts, go for it. Worst case is a "no". Cheerz
              Chauqg Zone 6b North of Pittsburgh

Comment

Good news on my transplants....looks like all but 1 or 2 broke bud this weekend. Was awfully worried about them, but looks like they'll be fine. Interesting thought on the supplement...I'm guessing a lot of these are formulated for...shall we say...alternate crops? Not to say they wouldn't work on figs of course!

Comment

Working...
                X