X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter kills

I've not totally given up hope, but several of my shed kept figs appear to have died of extreme cold. While they were in a heated shed, I had a couple of issues. One night the heater did not come on (thermocube = junk), it got down to 12F. A couple of other nights the heater could not keep up, it got 16 - 18F.

Most of my trees made it -
    Panachee (3 gallon and 2 gallon)
    Chicago hardy (4 trees, all in 5-6 gallon buckets)
    Paradiso JM (25 gallon)
    LSU Scotts Black (3 gallon)
    Corpus White Unk (5 gallon)
    Brown Turkey (5 gallon)

These have not shown any life yet:
    VdB (3 gallon & 1 gallon)
    RdB (2 gallon)
    Celeste (2 gallon)
    Strawberry Verte (1 gallon)

I was surprised as VdB, RdB and Celeste are touted as hardy.
    Phil
    Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Phil, sorry to read you had several losses. I lost most one year old trees in small pots.
    Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

• drphil69
      drphil69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry to hear that.

Glad to hear that you had more survivors that losses.

I had a half dozen losses due to a cold spot (draft) on an exterior wall of the enclosed porch storage area. Only the 5 gallon buckets that were on the ground near the wall were killed. The 5 gallon and 1 gallon containers directly above them leafed out normally and are OK. My Lowest overnight temperature was -17 Deg F. but the radiant space heater did its job and kept most of the enclosed porch just above freezing. After the losses in 2013 (Winter of Polar Vortex) I planned on the supplemental heat and overall it was successful especially since this past winter was colder than Winter 2013.

BTW, a Bears Black (a Bordeaux Cultivar) and a VDB were near the trees that died and they are currently leafing out. The Beers Black even has half a dozen breba that are pea sized and swelling.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• drphil69
      drphil69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, -17F. I haven't felt that since I lived in Ithaca, NY. Sorry for your losses Pete.

Based on simple observation of winter injuries of my trees as they are left outside with no protection during the winter, I concluded that VDB is not as hardy as many of my other trees. For example my celeste is much more hardy than this one, but Violette de Bordeaux is a tasty and a very prolific variety.
    Sas North Austin, TX Zone 8B

Comment

• drphil69
      drphil69 commented
      Editing a comment
      VdB certainly is tasty! Even though my tree is small, it produced about 10 figs last year.

Since you didn't specify figs. I lost 2 peach trees (going on 5yr and 8yr in yard) and 1 cherry tree(going on 5yr in yard). We had a polar blast on November 12 with lows of -13F and Nov 13th with lows -14F. The trees weren't fully dormant yet=death. The cherry tree I left about a 1 foot stump with some green under the bark, I'm hoping it throws some shoots above the graft, nothing yet.

I'm thinking about doing a step over style fig in one of their spots.
    Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
    Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• cis4elk
      cis4elk commented
      Editing a comment
      Scott, I was wondering if you lost any stone fruit. Sorry to hear it, but at the same time..misery loves company. I used to have a dwarf peach tree at my old house, it was such a good productive little tree. It made 1 -1.5 bushels every other year. Now I can't get a peach tree to be healthy and produce a good harvest to save my life. The last time I drove by my old house the new owner had cut it down to make room for more grass.

• COGardener
      COGardener commented
      Editing a comment
      People amaze me!! Who would remove a fruit tree.

The thing that kills me most is that the bare root nectarine I planted lest year is perfect and bloomed this spring. My other 6 year old peach that is less than 20 feet away bloomed and was covered with peaches. ... until the hail and freezing cold came through. There is still a few hanging on, the birds and tree rats had better beware.

• drphil69
      drphil69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, very sorry, that is tough losing trees that mature in ground.

I lost more than I care to think about, mostly small plants that were in the greenhouse and grew late into the season, weak plants also. Larger trees that went dormant normally are OK, a few had small splits in their trunks. Variety did not make much of a difference.

Comment

• drphil69
      drphil69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry to hear that Brent. In hindsight I should have put the small trees in my garage, which stays a little warmer.

Sorry to hear your losses Phil! My in ground RdB survived, let me know if you need cuttings come fall.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

• drphil69
      drphil69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Kelby. By the way all the cuttings I got from you and started are doing well. Also I was 8/12 on plum grafts, until I knocked one off... I had another one push out buds in the last 2 days. Pears must be easy to graft, I went 13/14 on them.

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      Pears and apples are the easiest, just jam them together and they take!

It is still early they may still make it.
    RDB should be very cold hardy Is it possible that these 4 had a hard time due to drying out versus the cold?
    Pino, Niagara, Zone 6, WL; variegated figs, breba producers & suggestions welcome
    Breba photos / Main crop fig photos
    Canada Fig Growers

Comment

Sorry to hear it Phil. Did you perform any bark scrape tests on those varieties that appear dead?
      Rafael
      Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• drphil69
        drphil69 commented
        Editing a comment
        I did not scrape bark but I did "test" by seeing if the tips would bend... and on the RdB they did not. They snapped. I will continue to treat them as though they are alive... for now.

By the way the Paradiso is doing great after its truck ride, root prune, and re-pot. I already had to start thinning out branches. Thanks!

• Rafaelissimmo
        Rafaelissimmo commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad to hear it Phil. I will probably have to give away the Goccia D'oro this fall, it is humungous and I am out of space!

I have a Strawberry Verte that I put a stool layer on last year. It went into the garage and overwintered it with the layer on. This year the layer has broken dormancy (it is one I have not repotted, yet) and leafed out, but the original plant still has not had any movement. I'm hoping I can bare-root and separate the trees on Monday. I have many other trees which have swollen buds, but not much else. Most of the losses I sustained was to trees which were still green when they went into the garage last year. There is only one tree I did not have a duplicate of.
      Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
      N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

• drphil69
        drphil69 commented
        Editing a comment
        My verte was very young, only started mid- summer, and still had green tip when winter hit. I'm sure that didn't help. Sorry for you losses.

So by posting this yesterday, I threatened those trees. Today, one of the VdBs is pushing buds... lol. The RdB I think is toast, same with the verte and other VdB, which were small. I don't think any of them dried out, as I bought a moisture meter for watering them over the winter. Glad I did as the surface appeared dry while a couple of inches down was quite moist. Overall I am not that disappointed in the losses - they all readily available and it was only a few small trees.
      Phil
      Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

If both parts of SV take off, I can put your name on the extra.
        Last edited by Bijan; 05-24-2015, 05:43 PM.
        Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
        N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

• drphil69
          drphil69 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the generous offer, but I respectfully decline. I actually have some Verte/Green Ischia cuttings which is close enough if not identical to SV. I do appreciate the offer!

My VdB was very late in coming back and the RdB was even later.
        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Working...
        X