X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Col Littman's Black Fig

I recently obtained this fig and wanted to learn more. Does anyone know more about the origin of this fig? How many crops a year? (breba + main or main only) What is its tolerance to rain? What is the flavor profile? How does it compare with other high quality dark figs like I-258, VdB etc?
    Does it need a long ripening season? If so, approximately when does it ripen relative to some other well known figs (VdB, Black Madeira, Mission etc.)

Regards,
    --Ram

"....very tasty black fig from Colonel Littman’s tree in Gainesville, Florida. Colonel Littman originally got his starts from Mr. Cross in Tallahassee Florida, so Colonel Littman called the fig “Black Cross.” We don’t know its true origins but we do know it’s not a Mission, Black Jack, Petite Negri or Violette de Bordeaux as this fig’s skin is a different color...."

This fig was also sold briefly by JFE, but I believe their mother tree died.

Also read: https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...he-perfect-fig
    Texas (N. Houston area) - zone 8b
    Wish List: Rubado, Thermolito, Calderona, Cavaliere, GM-172, and GM-25

Comment

This is one of those figs that I'm suprised isn't more widely grown
      Haroon,Birmingham U.K,Zone 8ish
      W/L: Granthams Royal, Gayet,De Tres Esplets,Campaniere,Moscatel Preto,Cavalliere

Comment

• COGardener
        COGardener commented
        Editing a comment
        We all wish it was and we are working to make it so.

• dondan
        dondan commented
        Editing a comment
        Have you tried growing this variety in the UK, haslamhulme ?

I will have likely have a couple airlayers available for trade shortly as they have been potted up for a period but waiting until the roots develop some more. I already have committed out a couple, so I have to make sure I don't kill another. Some cuttings will be available come dormant season. It's probably the best trade material I have available so please don't be offended if I don't trade for anything that isn't pretty tough to obtain this year. It's not the fig I would grow above all others, but to me it's up there with my favorites, and the stars aligned on that one posted above and I still consider it the best single fig I have had.
      Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

Cant wait to try mine. Hopefully it will fruit this coming year.

Comment

• spiff2
          spiff2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Consider your self lucky. They are hard to come by.

JFE got more cuttings from Col. Littman's tree in Gainesville - you can see it as a variety on their website again. Right now, I don't believe they have any available for sale, but they might soon, so I would keep checking.

Comment

• Fygmalion
          Fygmalion commented
          Editing a comment
          Been waiting on that tree for a while. I acquired several cuttings last year but only managed to add them to my cutting cemetery... I think the variety was so desirable that I killed them with over attention and micromanagement.

Colonel Littman’s Black Cross photos from Strudeldog. I am glad I will have one next Spring. Yummy.

Tony

Comment

• ramv
          ramv commented
          Editing a comment
          It looks a lot like photos of Ischia Black ripe fruits. Do you have photos of the leaves you can share? And of unripe figs? I'd like to compare it to my Ischia black figs ripening currently.

• figwood1
          figwood1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow that pic is killing me looks great!!!

• Pinky
          Pinky commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow! I hope my cutting takes!

That's insane!
        Wish List: I need another fig tree like I need a hole in the head.

Comment

Ha,

Ok just let me state this. While it's a top tier fig they did not all look like that on interior. It ripened during intense drought and heat, when I cut into that I actually was wondering if I died and been resurrected in the Mediterranean or South Cal. or someplace with the wasp. It's great fig I just don't want people hating on me if it doesn't look like that.

Comment

• Bluemalibu
            Bluemalibu commented
            Editing a comment
            Holy Moly, Phil! You're growing more than pretty peaches there in the Goober State!

• strudeldog
            strudeldog commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Blue, but my peaches don't do so well, and for that matter neither do my fig this year. I did run out awhile back to make sure I still had 187-25 after you initial posting awhile back, and thankfully my records were correct I did have a 2nd and did not let my only one walk away. It did ripen figs and still has a couple on it, but it falls in same category of most every other figs this year of "SWD Spoiled" That's pretty much my 1 taste profile this season

• m5allen
            m5allen commented
            Editing a comment
            Strudel - do you have any pics of this variety when it ripened with normal/average weather in your area?

That is a beautiful fig! I bought a cutting. I hope I get it to root!
          Zone 10b, Coastal. Wish List: Aurora, Deos Negra, Siggiu Russo, Mendeza, Ischia Black, Boreal, Sodus Sicilian, Sangue Dolce, Col Lit BC; Long Yellow

Comment

• nevepo
            nevepo commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome looking fig. Just looking at it makes you dream of the taste it might have. Thank you.

m5allen Yes more pics
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

• Fygmalion
            Fygmalion commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome!

• Zuny
            Zuny commented
            Editing a comment
            This looks like a very nice fig

Originally posted by strudeldog View Post
          m5allen Yes more pics
          Do you have pictures of the leaves? I am wondering if it is similar or related to Ischia Black.

Comment

• Brian M
            Brian M commented
            Editing a comment
            Ischia black doesn't have the yellowing near the neck it's solid purple. It's a beautiful fig fit sure

• strudeldog
            strudeldog commented
            Editing a comment
            @Brianm The neck does eventually turn dark on Col Litts if left to extreme ripen, but I agree Ischia Black is different
            Last edited by strudeldog; 10-12-2017, 11:35 AM.

• Brian M
            Brian M commented
            Editing a comment
            Just noticed my comment. Ischia Black does have some yellowing around the neck don’t know what i was thinking

Thanks for the additional photos of CLBC Phil.

Tony

Comment

ramv I don't see it the same as Ischia Black USDA Davis. You probably read that in old posts but I think that was folks just speculating. There is a couple foliage pics The 1st from this am.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• ramv
              ramv commented
              Editing a comment
              Very pretty leaves. But I agree it cannot be confused with UCD Ischia Black.

strudeldog

How does this hold up to the rain? Any idea now where this thing ripens in relation to other varieties?
            Zone 7A - Philadelphia
            Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Comment

• strudeldog
              strudeldog commented
              Editing a comment
              My recorded dates from last year show 1st fig on 9/11/16 for an inground tree another for reference in shown on that date is Bataglia green and have pics dated as late as 10/17/16 which is in the 2nd half of season fig for me. This season I did not keep records like I have the in past but everything seemed 2-3 weeks later than last in general. I did not eat but maybe a couple from it this year for a couple reasons, mostly SWD, but also because I was doing airlayers and removed the fruit. There is a couple later that I might taste if I bag them, but I really have not had cycles to bag this season or try and keep the soured fruit removed well to deter the SWD. It seems to handle rain pretty well I don't recall any explodes, and this has been a humid wet summer here.
              Last edited by strudeldog; 10-12-2017, 06:12 PM.

I got 2 cuttings of CLBF and both have roots and I have already cupped them and put in my kitchen window which faces south. : )
            North Alabama Zone 7b
            "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever". Manatma Gandi"

Comment

Originally posted by Frankallen View Post
              I got 2 cuttings of CLBF and both have roots and I have already cupped them and put in my kitchen window which faces south. : )
              Good luck. I think it will be a good grower for you. It is one of my fastest growers.

Comment

I am a little late to the CLBC party. I started my two cuttings on 11/20/18. I noticed the first roots via the fig pop method on 12/14/18. I am really hoping I am able to get two trees down the road. The cuttings were $30 each with shipping factored in. Not cheap by any means! This looks like an awesome fig variety. Everyone growing this one should keep making more of this beauty. It looks like the variety was almost lost a short while ago. I plan on doing my best to keep CLBC alive and well!
                Zone 8B - Cottage Grove, Or
                Wish List - Crema di Wheat

Comment

• Evdurtschi
                  Evdurtschi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just got mine popped up today!!! I am so excited for this one. I have one that I grafted awhile back but it seems to have failed.... or at least stalled. I was very worried bc I had traded my extra well rooted plant for some CC cuttings.

• ramv
                  ramv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So Eric, you still want the one from me?

• Netstars
                  Netstars commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice Eric - the pic that Johnson1 posted looks yummy - closed eye!

Both the plant and figs handle rain very well. The figs eye is closed. Just over 70" rain to date in '18. Produces 1 crop. In early '18 it was my first fig plant to break dormancy mid Feb. A top tier choice. I just looked up the picture date of 11/13/18. Near the end of the CLBC figs for '18.Click image for larger version  Name:	20181113_144629.jpg Views:	1 Size:	100.5 KB ID:	418726
                Last edited by Johnson1; 12-18-2018, 03:15 PM. Reason: Added picture date.
                Johnson1
                Zone 9b
                S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

• Netstars
                  Netstars commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not fair getting me so excited so early in the game Johnson1

• m5allen
                  m5allen commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are in Florida, right? Do you grow your CLBC in-ground?

dondan i cant reply to your comment to my comment,but in answer to your question I do have 1 cutting of this,will root it in spring.If I can root it I expect it to be resident in my Polytunnel to ripen here
                Haroon,Birmingham U.K,Zone 8ish
                W/L: Granthams Royal, Gayet,De Tres Esplets,Campaniere,Moscatel Preto,Cavalliere

Comment

Working...
                X