X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big changes at USDA Davis Repository

A friend who went to the mulberry/prunus tasting at Wolfskill yesterday and included the following message:

The event was organized by John Preece (station leader), Jenny Smith (mulberry, kiwi, persimmons), and Carolyn DeBuse (stone fruits).

The most important piece of info from John's talk for me was that the repository will not be accepting individual ord
    ers for the plant material anymore. They were overwhelmed with the orders they were asked to fulfill this spring and they are not done with them yet. They simply do not have the resources to continue with this kind of practice. They still will be supplying material to the institutional researches and to the growers organizations like GRFG. So we will need to do the organizational orders.
    I was surprised to hear this as just last August at the fig/grape tasting he said that they welcomed individual orders.
    My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Is this for everything or just for figs? I guess its time to start a growers org. I am surprised too but also amazed at the same time that they did so much with so few people.
    Jeff in 6a

Comment

• HarveyC
      HarveyC commented
      Editing a comment
      This is for everything. Staff told me several years ago that their budget was only slightly higher than it had been 10 years earlier and that it was difficult to make ends meet since their collection was larger and all costs had gone up. Its surprising that they've dedicated such a great amount of resources to fulfilling these requests.

What a wonderful program it has been. It still amazes me that they did this for free.
    I have nothing but admiration for their work, and I thank them for it.

Comment

This has always been their backup regulation...and it has been in their ordering information for some time. I was surprised to get my cuttings this year..knowing what a budget crunch they're under and everybodies looking for corners to cut and programs to eliminate.
      Hopefully they will allow some sort of program to bridge the budget gap and get some cuttings out. Figgary just recieved his cuttings last week while I got mine in late March....they just don't have the production line personnel to man something like this.

It will, however, give the trees a bit of a rest to put some growth on.....after all, they do have black madiera....
      Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

How are we newbies going to get cuttings, if they stop the program? Heck, I'm just getting started.
        That's a real bummer!!
        Ray in Columbia, SC Zone 8

Comment

• Kelby
          Kelby commented
          Editing a comment
          Ask and ye shall recieve! Nice folks that are often happy to share.

• brettjm
          brettjm commented
          Editing a comment
          Very true Kelby. I bought some bulk cuttings last fall for a good price (and got a ton of freebies on my wish list!), and got plenty of stuff from UC Davis this spring (my first ever order). I've also had cuttings shipped to me for cost of shipping. I have no intention of profiting out of it, and in a few years I hope to be able to distribute in return. Strange hobby, but it attracts a lot of good folks. Cuttings will be available in the fall/winter from generous members, I guarantee it. So long as you're not after something super rare, you can probably just ask the forum.
          Last edited by brettjm; 05-25-2015, 12:11 PM.

There are plenty of other sources. Members here will have cuttings come late fall. Plus trusted eBay sellers and so one.

May cultivars can be found as trees via the internet.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

The mission of the repository has never been to provide nursery stock to newbies, etc. but to preserve the genetic material. By getting it out to the hands of individuals freely for many years they have helped accomplished that to a degree but they have many other priorities at the present time.

I once volunteered at a project they were doing at Davis about five years ago after hearing how short-handed they were at the time.
          My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

Not trying to make a political statement here, but it's sad to me that there is always unlimited money for war and weapons but never enough for Agriculture programs that do real good.
            https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
            SE PA
            Zone 6

Comment

• Hershell
              Hershell commented
              Editing a comment
              Without our freedom what good would a fig cutting be?

• Kelby
              Kelby commented
              Editing a comment
              I hear you Hershell, especially today.

I meant more like that new jet fighter that costs $160 million each and still doesn't work properly but we can't get a couple extra employees for germplasm work.

• HarveyC
              HarveyC commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't believe cuttings should have ever been given away for free by USDA and suggested years ago that they charge some modest fee for cuttings but was told they have no means for accepting payments.

Harvey...I agree with your comment above (and thought it warranted its own post). I wish they accepted payment somehow, and charged...say 1-2 bucks per cutting plus shipping. They could afford to hire temporary workers and even profit a bit out of it each spring. I would happily pay for this service, and agree that distributing for free just ends up with folks taking advantage of a good thing (e.g. selling cuttings they receive on eBay).
            Last edited by brettjm; 05-25-2015, 12:18 PM. Reason: details.
            Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

• PA Figs
              PA Figs commented
              Editing a comment
              Most people wouldn't even pick up the tab on shipping... It amazes me how many folks say "I didn't even get charged shipping". No sir, you didn't PAY shipping. At $30 a package it adds up fast and I am sure wipes out budget that could be used for more staff. One solution would be for them to only ship to orders with valid UPS accounts.

Will farmers still be able to request cuttings?
            Fig & Blackberry Farmer in Sunol, CA.

Comment

• HarveyC
              HarveyC commented
              Editing a comment
              Not from what I understand but the policy change is still being developed.

I was shocked they gave out cuttings for free when i first heard about the national germplasms. Although I am disappointed, I am not suprised by the changes.

I ordered citrus cuttings through the citrus clonal protection program, the ccpp which is operated by University of Calif. Riverside. They charged a nominal fee of $0.75 per cutting, minimum of 6, plus shipping, but still very affordable. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I hope the other germplasms start doing something similar so they can be sustainable.

Off topic: For anyone interested in citrus, here is a great link with videos about bud grafting, HLB, and how to order citrus budwood.
            Coastal SoCal/ USDA Zone 10b / Sunset 22 / AHS Heat zone 2

Comment

• smatthew
              smatthew commented
              Editing a comment
              small correction: the Citrus clonal program charges $0.75 per bud. Each cutting has 6 buds usually. So $4.50 a cutting, but still not bad.

• Wisner
              Wisner commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the link on grafting citrus.
          Working...
          X