X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Score: 151 to 55

151 dead or not yet awake yet
    55 alive fig trees and some just started to get going.
    Devastating blow but have no one to blame but my self.

It's all good. Still have plenty to be looking forward to.

That's sure a lopsided score. Sorry to hear that. On the bright side, it will make easier when you move.
    Art
    Western Pa -6a

Comment

Damn........you are taking it better than I would my friend.
      Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

• Rafed
        Rafed commented
        Editing a comment
        Wills,
        You should know me by now. Always looking forward to better days.

Art,

Very true. Everything happens for a reason.

Comment

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure it will take no time to get your collection built back up. And who knows, the numbers may change, some may still come up from the ground.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Rafed,
          Sorry to hear about your possible losses (its still early for some of those undecided )

The winter of the polar vortexes (Winter 2013-2014) resulted in a 95% loss, and this year I'm currently in the 3rd week of up potting and planting in large SIPs and still have no end in sight. There's always a bright side ... somewhere.
          Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Scott,

Had the same problem last year but not as severe and most came back.
            The only two I am disappointed about out of all of them are the two RDB's and Dark Greek. Those were my late brothers favorite. But happy to say I saw one of the RDB's starting to form buds today. I will reach out to a few friends if the Dark Greek doesn't come back.

Comment

I hope for the best for you Rafed. I'm sure you will get them all back in no time.
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

For sure, Pete.
                Always a bright side but I kick my self for not protecting them the way I should have.

Comment

• AscPete
                  AscPete commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If it makes you feel any better... I added extra supplemental heat with multiple redundancy (Electric, Kerosene, Hot Water Radiant) to the storage area, but had a small draft on an exterior wall and still lost 6 larger trees this past winter.

Pete,

The figs are stored in my attached north facing garage. The problem is we had a mild winter for the most part and I fell asleep when the extreme cold temps came in. I did not cover them like I should have and did not water them as much while in storage. Lesson learned**

Comment

Rafed,
                  My figs are stored on a north facing porch that's enclosed and insulated for winter storage of the fig trees. We were actually lucky this year in the Northeast. Although it was colder than normal, the temperatures dropped early in Fall and stayed cold straight through till Spring, so there was never any "false sense of security"
                  Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• Rafed
                    Rafed commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My problem is with the cold and wind and blowing the snow while leaving the garage door opened was a recipe for disaster. I should have known better.

If u don't mind, what did you do? I'm a newbie and would hope not to make it he same mistake. TY
                  Chauqg Zone 6b North of Pittsburgh

Comment

Hello Chauqg and welcome.

I stacked them in the attached garage like I do every year but I did not cover them like I do every year. I usually cover them with blanket/moving pads and cover those with plastic tarp. I did not water them at least once or twice a month like I should have to keep the roots from completely drying out.

Keeping them exposed to the elements for extended periods of time while the garage door remained opened only added to their ultimate demise. It was a total lack of preparing and lack of protection on my part.

Comment

Not to be insensitive, but is fig wood any good for smoking?

Comment

• drphil69
                        drphil69 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I've heard that it is but have never tried it.

Originally posted by rafed View Post
                      151 dead or not yet awake yet
                      55 alive fig trees and some just started to get going.
                      That is just carnage. So sorry to hear it.

Hopefully some of the 'not yet awakes' will revive.

I've always been amazed at what people in cold climates must do to grow figs.

SoCal, zone 10.
                      www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Before losing most of my trees many years ago, I couldn't imagine losing them. It's funny how philosophical I was afterwards.

My garage faces north, as well. Unfortunately, unless I do some serious rearranging in the garage, I won't have enough room for all the trees this winter. The basement stays at 60F during the winter... Not that I want to carry them down.
                        Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
                        N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

Scott.
                          1st the Mary Jane and now the fig wood? You Colorado people! LOL

All jokes aside, I don't know. Many have completely dry wood but has been discarded.

Comment

What can I say, the altitude effects our brains.

Comment

Rafed, is the Dark Greek from Navid's?
                              Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                              Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Have faith my friend. They may be sleep still. Check for green layer no? If not see green maybe come back from roots !
                                Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                                1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                                2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Scott
                                  I hope you didn't take it personal. I was kidding.

Calvin
                                  No. I got it from Louis about five or six years ago.

Fabio
                                  Faith is what I have. I'll be fine.
                                  Thanks
                                  Last edited by Rafed; 05-26-2015, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks Rafed, and all who share on such losses, hopefully we can all learn and prevent such tragedies in the future.
                                    Ed
                                    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Rafed,
                                      I never take it personal, I was just joking with you as you were with me... or is it the altitude?????

Comment

Rafed, as I told you before I'm very sorry for whatever losses you have and we all have your back once you move.

James, do you stack your fig plants? Mine wouldn't fit unless I stacked them. 3 high last year and 4 high this year. I don't think I can do more than 4 high.
                                        Bob C.

Comment

Scott

Could be the altitude for you but definitely the humidity for me.

Comment

Working...
                                          X