X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socorro Black - any success in cooler areas?

This is my 3rd year growing Socorro Black. I had it in a container the first year and then planted it in the ground during the Spring of 2014. It has been a rather slow but steady grower. It ripened one fig (that I think was a breba) in August, 2014 and it was very, very good. I can see the potential of this variety when grown in the right environment. Out of the ~ 12 in-ground figs I have it was clearly the least cold-hardy. It still hasn't formed a full leaf. So I am wondering whether to leave it in the ground or dig it up and put it into a container. One question I have for those who have grown it is whether it is a very late variety. I can't recall anyone discussing getting a ripe fig with this variety in cooler areas. If it's a really late variety then I have no hope of ripening a fig when it is grown in-ground and might be hard pressed to have success in a container. Does this variety need to be in the southeast, southwest or California to do well?
    Steve
    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
    WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

I have this one in a pot in NJ. I don't keep the best records of when they ripen, but it was about the same as others early mid sept so far. It was the first year the fruit ripened and they were excellent.

Comment

Thanks 71GTO. It sounds like my best option would be to transfer it to a container and plant something else in that spot that is more cold hardy.
      Steve
      D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
      WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

I used to have a 68 GTO, boy what a car!! Women loved it!!
        Ray in Columbia, SC Zone 8

Comment

Yeah I can't speak to it's cold hardiness in ground. I haven't had any issues with my tree in a pot keeping it in an u heated detached garage.
          Ray, 68 is a nice year! I won't mind having one.

Comment

Mine was a 65, some how I let a friend talk me out of it. He still has it today.
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Scott, that car is worth a lot of money today. I saw one like mine sell on one of those TV car auction shows for $48k. I paid $3800 for mine.
              Ray in Columbia, SC Zone 8

Comment

Working...
              X