X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything Ripening

I am always interested to hear what people have ripening. Fig season should be starting in the next few weeks here in the deep south, and I was wondering if anyone has found anything that will produce extra-early.

Breba of Golden Celeste and local Unk.
    Both are very sweet and juicy.
    Attached Files
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

Yes. Last week I missed 6 brebas from my Paradiso! The Cardinals and ants beat me to them! Now, Peter's Honey is trying to ripen. We have not had much rain at all this year----very dry! I've also got several large Black Jack figs that will be ripening soon. Those and PH are usually some of my first ones to ripen.
      Dennis
      Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

I placed my first organza bag on an Abicou breba today so I should have my first in a few days. This
        is a potted fig not one of my in ground figs.

You are about 215 miles to the south of me so you are probably picking figs by now.
        newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

I have strawberries ripening, does that count?
          https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
          SE PA
          Zone 6

Comment

How about tomatoes? Plenty of those ripening now.
            newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
              Rafaelissimmo commented
              Editing a comment
              Tomatoes in May! That just ain't right. Am so jealous.

• dobemom
              dobemom commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, my tomato plants are about eight inches tall by now. I'm a tad green with envy as well.

Haskah berries

Comment

• Harborseal
              Harborseal commented
              Editing a comment
              What varieties do you have and how do they taste?

I have one Scott's Black fig that turned color 2 days ago. Potted plant. Still picking sweetcrisp and sunshine blue. Getting a few Tropic Snow peaches daily now. Life is good in Seabrook TX!!!!!

Comment

• mountainfigs
              mountainfigs commented
              Editing a comment
              Fig, peach, blueberry - great trio.

I have a pustule on my butt that's just about there but no brebas as usual. (Just kidding about the pustule...it's an abscess)
            Seriously though, tomatoes, peppers, squash, eggplants and blueberries, no figs yet.
            Frank Tallahasee 8B
            North Florida Figs

Comment

• Harborseal
              Harborseal commented
              Editing a comment
              That's gotta hurt!

• cis4elk
              cis4elk commented
              Editing a comment
              Eww.

Sorry, no better word for that!

I have some red currants that could ripen any day now and some rudely neglected strawberries ripening.
            Travis
            Pittsburgh, pa

Comment

Big beautiful tomatoes by the bucketfuls but nary a fig, although I saw an improved Celeste that had changed color and started to swell. Maybe in a couple of days. My Tropical Snow peaches are getting close.
              "gene"

Zone 9 Houma LA in the bayou land.

Comment

• dobemom
                dobemom commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh, my gosh! Yep...I just checked the calendar and it is still May. These could be in a seed catalog as the ones you wish for.

• Chrisk
                Chrisk commented
                Editing a comment
                Very nice tomatoes bud! Thanks for sharing

Gene those tomatoes look perfect! Makes me hungry for a grilled mater n cheese sandwich.
              Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
              Tony
              Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

I had a couple ripe figs a few weeks ago (yummy), but will have to wait for more. Also ripe tomatoes and blueberries and strawberries.

Gene, those tomatoes are gorgeous!
                SoCal, zone 10.
                www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

This is the closest thing I have: Stella breba

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150517_174257.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	20833
                  Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• jkuo
                    jkuo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Those look great! Have you had Stella breba before? Mine is still a first year tree, so I'm probably not getting any fruit until next year.

• Chrisk
                    Chrisk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They look awesome Robert! I have one Brunswick looking almost identical , maybe a couple of weeks ahead of yours! Thanks for sharing

My tomatoes aren't even in the ground yet!
                  It's been raining for a month straight here, yesterday I finally got my cabbage transplants, strawberries, and new blueberries in the ground(a month late). I hope it doesn't go directly to scorching hot now, we have several days of 80's coming up.
                  Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                  Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Closest to ripe here are these 8 cultivars with breba and 2 with main crop:
                    (I labeled each photo, however the font color seems to have been set to be essentially indistinguishable from the background color. Can that be changed? In order: Grantham's Royal breba, unknown breba / Brown Turkey?, O'Rourke breba, White Triana breba, Negronne breba, Ronde de Bordeaux main crop, Vista breba, Improved Celeste breba, Champagne main crop, unknown breba & main crop figlet / Malta Black? The two main crop cultivars, RDB and Champagne, were woken early indoors.)
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 10 photos.
                    Last edited by mountainfigs; 05-29-2015, 05:50 PM.
                    Tony WV 6b
                    https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

• Chrisk
                      Chrisk commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Very nice Tony.

Thanks for the comments on my tomatoes. They are just about finished as the figs get ready to ripe. The one improved Celeste that was changing color and swelling got half eaten by a bird, but I did get to get a little taste of it. Just make waiting for more that much harder.
                    "gene"

Comment

Just a couple of plums that the late freeze didn't get.
                      Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Well, I had one very large breba Unk Afghanistan but the snails and ants got to it today before I did.
                        newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

I have a Blackjack Breba that is maybe two days away all puffed up and turning into a nice reddish brown, just put an organza bug over it , 6 PH that look like they're trying to swell and just one Brunswick that held on and is huge! I hope it doesn't fall off like last year! All the trees are full of main crop babies with the potted trees beating the in ground trees by at least a month! It pays to have both for an extended season!

Comment

I picked almost a dozen strawberries today. .. yum!!!!

I have several big fat hardy Chicago figs growing, no idea how far out they are from ripening, it's the first year for them.
                            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

The first apricots are ripe now - this is extremely early! It was a warm winter so most blossoms didn't open. It's a very light crop. Boo-hoo.
                              SoCal, zone 10.
                              www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Today I picked an unknown fig called "Dr. G". It looks somewhat like an Atreano or Conadria. The taste was somewhat reminiscent of Conadria, not very figgy and not very sweet. I lost my Conadria so I can't make a direct comparison.
                                "gene"

Comment

Working...
                                X