X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice looking leaves

I'm particularly fond of the leaves on Longue d'Aout (thanks Frank!) that I planted out last week. What do you have that you like?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

So glad it's doing well, Kelby. I'll agree, and say it's my favorite pattern of the fig family. I have an LdA in a SIP this year and it's responding very well. No visible figs yet, but it's growing very vigorously. The ground tree is growing from the roots again this year, but coming up very strong once again. I'm confident I'll be eating figs from that tree again this year.
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Nero 600m, Stella, and Paradiso Genova were among the most striking last year.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
      Tony WV 6b
      https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

• dobemom
        dobemom commented
        Editing a comment
        Is there a particular name for this type of leaf? I think they have such a beautiful tropical look to them.

• mountainfigs
        mountainfigs commented
        Editing a comment
        Digitate, I suppose, is the formal word for how these leaves are margined. Fingerlike, that's probably the more common description. Quite a few other fig cultivars have fingerlike margins. These typically have distinctly different finger types. Stella (or Dalmatie) often has sheer straight fingers, though not always. Nero 600m, much like Violette de Bordeaux, Petite Negri, Negronne, and somewhat like Ronde de Bordeaux, typically has a kind of spatulate tip on the fingers, a pointed tri-lobed tip, while Paradiso Genova has long serrated fingers.
        Last edited by mountainfigs; 05-30-2015, 09:59 AM.

• dobemom
        dobemom commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

Longue d'Aout leaves are hard to beat. Thanks Dave!

Comment

I got another Etna called Toto's Purple this season and it's new leaves are pink fringed while many more plants of MBVS and Gino's in the same conditions have only have pigment on their leaf stems and bud sheaths right now.

Comment

• dobemom
          dobemom commented
          Editing a comment
          That is quite striking, Brent.

• mountainfigs
          mountainfigs commented
          Editing a comment
          A few Mt Etnas doing the same thing again this year. The reddening of the leaves and so on seems to indicate exceptionally lush good health. Curious about the biological reason for the red or pink blush.

• hoosierbanana
          hoosierbanana commented
          Editing a comment
          MBVS and Gino's plants that are outside have red leaves. Inside the greenhouse though in lower light this is the only Etna doing it. I am not yet 100% positive this is an Etna either, the plants characteristics are very similar so far though.

"Anthocyanins are water-soluble pigments found in all plant tissues throughout the plant kingdom. Our understanding of anthocyanin biosynthesis and its molecular control has greatly improved in the last decade. The adaptive advantages of anthocyanins, especially in nonreproductive tissues, is much less clear. Anthocyanins often appear transiently at specific developmental stages and may be induced by a number of environmental factors
          including visible and UVB radiation, cold temperatures and water stress. The subsequent production andmlocalization of anthocyanins in root, stem and especially leaf tissues may allow the plant to develop resistance to a number of environmental stresses. This article reviews the environmental induction of anthocyanins and their proposed importance in ameliorating environmental stresses induced by visible and UVB radiation, drought
          and cold temperatures."

That's very neat Brent!
        Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

I love my baby Brunswick leaves

Comment

Wow. Just when I think I'm catching up with the names of varieties you guys throw out yet new ones. All the photos look so lush and beautiful.
            Windham CT zone 6a

Comment

I'm lov'n the leafes, keep them coming.

I'm surprised no one has posted an ice crystals leaf.
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Thanks for these photos....I'm tracking down the variety of a very old tree in the upper Napa Valley....I know it's been there for over 75 years...

current land owner cut it down last year and I rescued about 50 cuttings and suckers last year. It's leaves are digitate as well....an unusual leaf pattern from most around here.
                Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

• COGardener
                  COGardener commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds like a great find, have you been able to sample the figs Ross?

• rusty hooks
                  rusty hooks commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've secured opinions from neighbors and several locals...green/strwberry amber flesh...it had been a well known stop for many years during the summer and was located on the old stage coach route...at a spring stop

and , no I haven't had one...yet....there is one hanger from last year that is still well attached...hope springs eternal

there should be a law protecting fruit trees like that

everyone I spoke with said it was a wonderful fig and they'll miss it...they'll all get rooted cuttings

I'd post pictures but my I-phone takes ginormous picture files and I have yet to get the App for editing them...thank you Apple

• COGardener
                  COGardener commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It is a shame that anyone would cut down a tree like that. And yes there should be a way to protect them and make them a historic site, a land mark.

Here's a few more from today...Bari (probably a Mt Etna, similar red tips to Brent's), Nero600m, RdB, and one my favorite leaves of all, ginkgo!
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
                https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
                SE PA
                Zone 6

Comment

Working...
                X