X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• effects of root constriction

So, my most of my starts are growing nicely, and I can see through the plastic grow sleeves that some of the plants' roots have just about maxed out the capacity of my quart sized containers. I've also noticed that some plants have started pushing figlets, which I've diligently removed. Sals, MBVS, Celeste, Improved Celeste are a few of the varieties that are doing this.
    Wondering if young plants trying to put out fruit is a sign of root bound-ness? Are those varieties noted for fruiting at a young age?
    It's something I've noticed with some other species of containerized plants, once the roots can't grow futher, the plant starts making moves towards reproduction.
    I'm telling them to hold on, you got 2 more months until a 3 gallon upgrade(and real sun) - then let's see you push those figs !
    I like a cohesive rootball when I up pot, the plants seem 'hungry' and don't get sulky about the transition, just bounce back and put out a quick flush of growth.
    Thanks for looking!
    Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
    Wishlist- Figues Juane, Demos unk, Nantes Maroc, Thermalito

Hi Jesse,
    I was wondering if you mean breba or main crop figlets?
    I have quite a few that pushed breba's even while still in the rooting process and one cutting that is forming main crop figs that has been potted to a 1 gallon container a while ago.
    Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
    Zone 8B

Comment

• zone5figger
      zone5figger commented
      Editing a comment
      I popped a few breba off early on, these are all main crop figs coming from the new growth of the rooted cuttings. Just plucked a couple of Petite Negri figlets this am. Most of the plants that are pushing main crop figs have grown 5-9 leaves since starting 2 months ago.

Not sure if crowded roots stimulate fruiting since some varieties do and others don't. I take it more as a sign of a vigorous early producing cultivar, which is a great thing.
    Frank Tallahasee 8B
    North Florida Figs

Comment

Jesse,
      What Frank said...
      Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

In my z10a case, if a fig does not produce or is not making an attempt to produce while in 1-2 gal pot, it is either gone or ignored. Last year by the end of the season only a few figs did not share a single fig. I discarded them all except a Kathleen's Black that is known to be slow .
        USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

Working...
        X