X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with broken branch?

My small Preto broke a branch. The cambium layer is about half intact and the core maybe 1/4. The leaves on the branch are not showing any signs of issues yet. I figure I have a few options:

1) Cut it off and bring it to Bass' fig fest.
    2) Putty the broken part and hope the remaining cambium is enough.
    3) Do nothing and see what happens.

Interested in other's thoughts?
    Youtube: PA Figs eBay: tdepoala
    Wishlist: Galicia Negra, Paritjal Rimada, Black Ischia UCD

Ha! That's too funny! I just broke a branch off my own Preto about 2 hours before you. I put it in the "hot box" to see if I can save it. Mine broke clean off. That's what I get for packing plants too closely.

Comment

Maybe a nice wrap with with grafting (or green) tape for a couple of weeks. Should be easier to set than a graft, since the cambium is still attached.

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
        Rafaelissimmo commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree w Rui, that's worked for me in the past

• tyro
        tyro commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep,a natural grafting op. Go around it with a heavy rubber band tightly stretched below and above the break prior to grafting/green tape.

It all depends on how big the branch is and if it is needed ( for cuttings later or a few figs that are on it ). If it is small enough you could pull it up and rap it with grafting tape and treat it like a graft and remove the tape later and possibly retape it. It would possibly always be a weak crotch depending on the angle that it is growing at and how well it heal.
      Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Since the branch isn't showing any signs of wilting you could try doing an air layer. You got half the job done already. Wrap some moss around it or whatever you prefer and give it a go. You'll have a backup or use it in a trade.
        Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
        Tony
        Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

Can you re-attach it and use grafting tape to hold it together?
          Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

I would root it. Check Bass's method for rooting summer cuttings. Thats what I do and it works well.
            In a nutshell:
            Cut it just below a node
            Cut off all except 1 leaf and cut that one in half
            Put it in a pot with moistened potting soil
            Put into a sealed plastic bag and place in a shady spot for a couple of weeks
            Works great....highly recommended
            There is a tutorial on Bass's website :www.treesofjoy.com

Comment

I taped a blueberry branch that broke partly off a young plant a few weeks ago. Seems to be ok so far. I would think it would work even better on figs since they are so vigorous if you want to save it.
              Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

You could save as long as water is still able to past up through green layer
                Proudly Serving in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
                Everyone should have a green thumb

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone! I think I will try to airlayer it for my brother in law to replace the fake Black Madeira I sent him from JFE.

Comment

Last time that happened I held the small branch in its place as if it hadn't broken and put some superglue on the outside of the branch to hold it in place. It worked great and 3 years later the fig is doing well. You have to be sure the superglue can't get in the 'cut'
                    Bob C.
                    Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyq627 View Post
                      Thanks for the input everyone! I think I will try to airlayer it for my brother in law to replace the fake Black Madeira I sent him from JFE.
                      If the JF&E Black Maderia is not true, then do we know what it is. It is easy to assume that it is correct with this being the first time I've heard it is not. I would really like to know because I was planning to order one this fall when they are shipping again.
                      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

No idea what it is yet. Leaves resemble a Chicago Hardy, but we will see in a month or so.

Comment

I am now in possesion of that broken branch. Thanks Nick.I've cut it into 4 possibilities and will let you all know its progress

Comment

• ofon
                            ofon commented
                            Editing a comment
                            how did that end up working for ya?

Best of luck with it Coop!

Comment

Working...
                          X