X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shipping question

I have a young fig that I want to send to another member. I just potted it up from a 32 oz cup to a #1 size pot 5d ago, seemed to have decent roots at that point, was already acclimated to the sun (I rooted it outside). Should I wait a little to ship it to give it more time to stabilize after the up-potting, or should it be ok to send now? The weather is rather favorable now, not too hot.

Thanks for any opinions.
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Only 5 days I would consider putting it back in the cup. It could be potted back up upon delivery and would be stable and not risk the potting soil shaking out. Jmt
    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

I'm not so worried about the soil-moist paper towels packed on top of the soil held in place by a couple of strips of packing tape does well to keep it in place. I just want to be sure to deliver a healthy plant.
      Ed
      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

How far are you shipping it? And at what speed (over night, second day and so on)?
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• eboone
          eboone commented
          Editing a comment
          Pittsburgh to Chicago
          Probably 2-3 days by USPS I was told.

IMO you should never up pot before shipping,you want dense initials (assuming this is just rooted) tightly secured by it's container to deal with the inevitable rough handling.When you up pot the initials disappear and in their place you'll find fine feeder roots that can not handle jostling.
        In as you've only recently up potted I would ship now,securing as well as possible,you gain nothing by waiting.

Paul Robert,Simi Valley,Ca. 9b

Comment

I agree with everyone to down pot. It'll be cheaper to ship, too.
          https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
          SE PA
          Zone 6

Comment

Originally posted by tyro View Post
            IMO you should never up pot before shipping,you want dense initials (assuming this is just rooted) tightly secured by it's container to deal with the inevitable rough handling.When you up pot the initials disappear and in their place you'll find fine feeder roots that can not handle jostling.

yup
            Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

And you should be shipping to Kansas City, not Chicago
              Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Well, since the roots had looked good when I up-potted, I went ahead and shipped plants. The soil is held in place pretty firmly by moist paper towels on top of the soil then plastic bags taped over the pots. The pots are secured pretty well inside the USPS priority mail boxes with 2 rigid rods from the bottom of the pot to the top of the box. We will see how they are on arrival.
                Thanks to all for their suggestions.

Bob, make an offer
                Ed
                SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Is this an auction?😐
                  Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Did you say auction? ????

I bid $2.00
                    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Did it get there ok?
                      Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

Is it my turn?

Comment

So far I only known if one member in Chicago 😉
                          Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                          1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                          2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Here is the tree... Look like may be struggling. Looked better day it came. Stayed in original pot and has been 50/50 sun cloud. Light watered. Maybe stressed? One leaf dropped 2 wilting and one still perky.
                            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
                            Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                            1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                            2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Working...
                            X