X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone shipped actual Figs?

Being I live in zone 5 and normally do not have ripe fig until late fall. I thought rather than go off people description of what a fig taste like and me wanting more varieties that maybe a few of you that have figs I'd like to try that live in areas that have ripe fruit soon I could buy some from you to help me decide?
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Figs are notoriously poor shippers, the only way to really ship them is harvest them very early (unripe). This defies the whole point of enjoying a nice tree ripened fig and hence the reason they are rarely in stores and not very good when they are.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Oh I see. Well maybe someone that has a large collection I can send a few egg cartons and pay for overnight shipping? Much cheaper than buying trees and finding out a year later you do not like taste.

Comment

I thought about that also, then I decided that the trees can always be traded, sold or gifted. Plus first and second crops are not always a good representation of how a fig tastes, you should give them 3 to 5 years minimum. So I say collect the trees, just slow your roll, they will always be out there, there will always be something new or RARE that everyone must have. In a few years as they spread, they will be easier to get and cheaper.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

You are very true

Comment

My grandfather used to send me egg cartons full of fresh ripe figs from Cleveland (zone 5). I was a young boy, but I remember they were delicious! No idea what service he used. This was in the late 80s.
            Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

I think Bass does.

Overnight or 2nd day you should be ok, I suspect.
              https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
              SE PA
              Zone 6

Comment

I would think a dozen or so ripe or almost ripe fig in egg carton would ship fine over night. They wouldn't get beat up secured in cartons. It is now just to try different types. Not for tree decision. Here there are very few places to find figs in store or peoe that have other than me. Plus all my tree I have now will not fruit for a couple year because they all very small.
                Tis year I am figless

Comment

There is nobody real close to me either that I'm aware of and no stores or nurseries here carry fig trees (our members that are close to me live in Denver, on average around 70 to 100 miles each way).

In fact, if you ask for a fig tree around here, they look at you like you have three heads.

Mike, I hope you find someone to ship you some figs and that they ship well. Good luck on your endeavor.

Comment

I tried a few times in 2013 and even bought some small bubble wrap pouches to try and used an egg carton for one shipment. Results were pretty bad and I don't plan to try that again. I remember, though, that one Panache I shipped to Bass arrived in good shape. Forget about anything with a thin skin.
                    My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

Looks like a country wide fig tasting road trip

Comment

A fig road trip would be a great time.

Comment

• eboone
                          eboone commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes, like in Italy or Greece or Portugal with some local contacts and a native speaker, in August

• rusty hooks
                          rusty hooks commented
                          Editing a comment
                          hear, hear

Winabago. Vino. Fire wood. Friends and figs = Belle

Comment

• rusty hooks
                          rusty hooks commented
                          Editing a comment
                          really...hear, hear......seriously

• COGardener
                          COGardener commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Lets go!!!

Try searching out the area in which the figs are ripening...and then locate local farmers markets in that area....sometimes you'll find amazing things at farmers markets...usually a phone contact with the market manager will tell you if they have figs

locally here, we have one vendor bringing breba missions every year and then main crop...he sells out in a heartbeat at $5.00 a basket of 6-8 figs (25-30 baskets)...and he and his crew pick them ripe the morning of the market....I'm growing cuttings just for this vendor and his crew's personal collections...great guys
                        Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

I promise you one day we will All meet for tis road trip. Now is not good for me with my back and. But I give you my word one day tis will happen
                          Ps I must bring my boat too because my last stop is to take "ourfig godfather" (WillsC) fishing he is belle cugino and if I go home Italia I want to bring him with me.

Buon a notte friends. I sleep now for job in morning. Go Hawks (not really)

Comment

Considering the time and money involved with growing a specific fig variety before it even bares Figs I for one would pay top dollar for figs to be shipped. I would pay over night air if need be to taste an assortment of figs from Harvey. I'll be the new Guinea Pig
                            Last edited by sal; 06-04-2015, 10:09 AM.
                            Zone 6a Orange County NY

Comment

Working...
                            X