X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverted reverted Jolly Tiger

So a friend gave me a Jolly Tiger and I killed it.....so he gave me another one and this one grew but it had just one variegated leaf and I never marked the node. It decided it would rather be green so I let it grow a bit then started pruning it trying to get it to throw a variegated leaf.....no luck. Three times I pruned of the growing tip with no luck on side shoots that formed. I was starting to think he had used latex paint on it. Finally got annoyed enough that I just pinned the entire plant to the ground with a brick. Was pretty sure it would snap and did not care if it did. It though took the abuse and once laying flat I again snipped the tip. The plant responded by sending out as of today 9 new buds/shoots.......one right in the middle of the stem is finally variegated......will prune the rest out as it grows.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JT.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	21584
    Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

tuff love
    andreas-patras Peloponnisos Greece zone 9a

Comment

Wills,
      I have 2 JT's that lost their variegation a few years ago. One has not regained it. The other put out a sucker last year with all light green leaves. So far it has done the same thing this year. This year it has grown a few small branches off the sucker so I will try and see if I get any joy from doing that. But mine are still not variegated - rather a much lighter and very attractive color.
      It will be interesting to see if I get any variegation off the small shoots.
      mgg
      btw - thx 4 the help with my pw

Comment

Michael,

Glad it worked, was beginning to wonder. I have learned my lesson...if you get a JT mark the variegated node It was a royal pain messing with the plant to get it to rebud what I needed.
        Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

I have been pulling off green leaves. Looks like i need to mark the nodes although most side branches are variegated.

Comment

Brian if they are just a randon green leaf here and there I would leave them so they help feed the already chlorophyll deficient plant. Now if it is an entire green limb yep it has to go.

Comment

Working...
            X