X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mealybugs

I have observed a very high population of mealybugs the last 2-3 weeks and was curious if others
    may be doing the same. If so, what are you doing if anything for treating them?

http://www.planetnatural.com/pest-pr...lybug-control/
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

I haven't seen any mealy bugs as yet, but have developed a simple plan of attack if needed. Neem oil spray,
    its multipurpose and can be used against most harmful insects and fungus (Rust). So far this spring I haven't had to spray since only a few very young leaves have been damaged by an unknown insect, but after the trees developed an increased latex sap flow the damage ceased.
    Later in the summer if Rust becomes an issue the Neem Oil will be replaced with a Copper Fungicide.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

I have a few of them. So far they haven't caused any visible damage. Picking them off seems a viable way of controlling them.
      Frank Tallahasee 8B
      North Florida Figs

Comment

Dab some rubbing alcohol on them with a Qtip. It will burn them. If they're a lot mix 20% rubbing alcohol with 80% water and spray them a few times a week.

Cleanest and safest way to do it.

Comment

Invest in some ladybird beetles, they will make sort work of the mealybugs.
          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I put straight rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and spray the leavess, top & bottom and all the stems, especially in the crotches. I've read that it takes a minimum of 50% isopropanol to kill a mealy bug and what you pour out of a bottle of isopropanol is always 70%. If it's labeled 90% it absorbs water from the air until it is 70%.
            Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Bob, thanks for that info and can I assume that does not harm the tender growth on the plant?
              newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

It's never bothered my plants but I wouldn't get it in the soil or on the roots.
                Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Working...
                X