X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else's figs still sleeping?

I pulled all of my trees out of the greenhouse about 3 weeks ago while they were in the greenhouse most of them were growing like crazy leaves, limbs, figs, a few of them did not break bud though the tips are nice and green no die back there just not doing anything, ever since I took them out they completely stopped growing , I am in zone 6B Connecticut the temperatures have been all over the place 70's to 80's during the days and some nights got down to 42 I'm just curious if anyone else is experiencing the same thing? This is the first time I have ever experienced this.
    Wish List -

I too am in 6b in Connecticut, I bought a dormant barefoot tree six weeks ago and planted it immediately - it's just starting to come out of its deep slumber.
    Ian

Really happy with what I have.

Comment

If they are in a convenient size, try up potting or fertilizing. Otherwise, all you can do is wait. If you're questioning its survival, take cuttings now.
      Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Yep, slow growing in Connecticut. My two older trees, a BT and a Peters Honey leafed somewhat on older wood but so far showing no new green wood. All last winters cuttings have anywhere from two to four inches of new green growth. More so on the two inch side. The trees that seem to show the most growth are my TC figs. For some reason they have almost doubled in size, not that they were big to begin with. All my plants have been outside for at least six-eight weeks now. For the most part they have been sheltered under a high deck getting morning sun only. Only for the last three weeks have they been in full sun.
        Last edited by DaveL; 06-08-2015, 10:26 AM.
        Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

Time to fertilize?
          Bob C.
          Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

Dave, unfortunately, majority of my one year old cutting didn't awaken. I lost over thirty plants. I can only speculate on the cause.

If they are green and show life there's still hope for your plants, good luck.
            Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

Heres some pictures of the trees that I am talking about the leaves that you see developed in the greenhouse since I have taken them out they have stopped growing
              The ones against the building that I cut down I'm 99% sure died due to the extreme heat coming thru the window that they were up against in the greenhouse this year I will have to put a shade cloth over that window

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	462.3 KB
ID:	21798Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	21799Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	21800Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	21801Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	21802
              Wish List -

Comment

I have some similar scenarios.

Only one that took forever to break bud and that was a Malta Black, it's growing with a vengence now but for about a month after all my other figs started I watched it just sit there and do nothing. Like you said,"green tips" and had no signs of dessication. I even scratched off a couple dormant breba type buds just to see if it bled(which it did, just a bit). But that is over now.

Some of my trees that went into the sunroom in March for an early start are also acting somewhat..delayed as of late. Funny you posted this because I was going to update a thread I had made a couple months ago. All the sun room trees had been hardened off to the sun and were being shuffled out on nice days. One morning I put them out real early before work when the temps were 38 (which is my borderline, becaues for some reason it will frost here at that temp) but it was going to warm up within the hour. Almost all those plants took frost damage that morning. In the end, that descison cost me almost nearly the entire jump start they got by being stunted from the freeze. All but one have recovered from the frost and are at different levels of regained active growth, but the trees that were in the garage and not given an early start are almost all ahead in terms of new growth. Many of the jumpstart trees still started putting on figs earlier, but like I mentioned the vegetative growth is behind.
                Now on the tree that was affected the worst by the freeze. Although this tree only experienced extensive leaf damage on primarily one limb(no stem damage), it completely shocked the tree. The tree has yet to restart growth, and as a matter of fact it appears to be reverting to dormancy and is gradually withdrawing nutrients from the leaves and dropping them. Last night I gave it it's 2nd dose of heavy fertilizer(higher N) to see if I can revert this. So, I learned Maltese Falcon is very sensitve to dormancy cues if nothing else.

Last edited by cis4elk; 06-08-2015, 02:42 PM.
                Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Of my older trees, I'm still waiting on the following: Malta Black, Gino's Black, Nero (BC35) and Battaglia Green. Most of the older trees were bare-rooted and potted up this year. Consequently, I tried to keep them dormant as long as possible in the garage until I could do the root work. It seems like the new root growth is about to hit critical mass to spur more top growth. At the rate they are going now, however, I will only get figs from a few that did not get potted up (Smith, RdB and UCR143.36). I lost a handful of trees in 1 gallon containers (from cuttings rooted in 2014). I have duplicates of all except Sal's EL.

I will note, however, my larger trees were on the garage floor which stayed cool until late. They were not in a rush to break dormancy. The trees in 1 gallon containers were on a table off of the concrete. They broke dormancy about 6 weeks before the trees on the ground.
                  Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
                  N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

Sleeping or dead... I have a few. RdB, Celeste, and VdB, maybe one other. I am fairly sure they are dead, snipped them back little by little until almost nothing left, and no green. On the bright side, most of my figs are doing great, with cuttings being moved up to 5 gallons, and figs forming on most of the 2+ year old trees!
                    Phil
                    Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

I have six (6) 5 gallon trees that are still asleep from winter storage, they were near a cold spot. Six trees, 5 gallons that were in the cold spot (cold draft) are dead, all the 1 gallon trees that were directly above them (at 4' off the ground) have already put on several inches of growth.

Like Bijan I bare rooted several trees in early May and only half of those are just now breaking bud. Trees that were up potted to 10 gallon containers without bare rooting (just a single 1" deep cut that bisected the root ball, sides and bottom) have a few breba and are currently producing main crop figs.
                      Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

When I check after winter I no cut. I try to snap off or break. If branch snaps of keep snapping until it bend. Cut above last node after bend. Put sealer and fertilize. Always work for me. You tree look fine tho. I zone 5 all mine awake. But still some little one sleep. Very nice smoke house too! Tis is actual food smoker?
                        Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                        1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                        2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

My trees got a great head start with our spring coming in March. 70* in march in Colorado for extended periods of time is unusual. Yet the month plus of cold and rain through May put all of the trees to sleep, they did not drop leafs, they just quit growing. And only a few of them starting to push leafs again and only in the last few days. The Hardy Chicago has a little over a dozen figs on it right now and they started at least a month ago so they are getting big and fat. The Sweet George just starting pushing leaves again and now I'm seeing little figs pushing, the JF&E Improved Celeste is pushing some tiny little figs. So far that is it other than some on the 3 Strawberry Verte that I'm starting to harden off, I just saw them today... it's to bad I have to remove them.

Around 50% of the rest that were outside in the weather last month are finally starting to grow again, I'm hoping the rest catch up soon and more varieties give me at least a couple figs each. If not, that's fine, most of my trees are rather young. Let them grow this year and hope figs next.

I hope everyone who has figs running late gets them going soon.
                          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I did an inventory today made 2 lists, one that I don't have high hopes for and the other that I still have hope for , taking cuttings is a good idea but the ones that are in the most trouble just keep dying back fortunately there's nothing to hard to replace if anyone has an extra unknown Gloria or Carini Sicily from Figgyfrank would like to sell or trade please let me know.

May come back tips are still green
                            Unknown Croatia
                            unknown Shippan
                            JH Adriatic
                            Italian Honey
                            Panache

No green tips ain't looking too good
                            Gillette
                            Gloria
                            Chicago Hardy
                            Black Maderia
                            Unknown Warren st
                            Strawberry Verte
                            Carini Sicily Figgyfrank

So what did I learn from this winters are getting worst in CT and I need to insulate "styrofoam" the greenhouse and put shade cloth over the windows because the heat coming through the glass is just as bad as the cold
                            Wish List -

Comment

Your absolutely right Calvin jump starting these could be tricky especially in my area the temperatures have been all over the place one night it is 70 and the next night it is 45 you put something out you have been trying to get a jump start on and the temperature drops dramatically and it just sets the tree back My greenhouse/winter storage is attached to my garage the roof is opaque white fiberglass the 2 big side walls have no glass and I have a window in the front and the back well whatever was near the front window pretty much got cooked by the heat during the day and froze at night
                              Wish List -

Comment

We have similar problems in Colorado, 80 one day -10 the next. The mountains and jet stream drastically alter the weather here nearly constantly. I'm sorry that you lost some trees Dave, what a pain the ass! I hope making some adjustments to you overwintering area is easy and successful.
                                Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Dave,
                                  I will replace your Carini cuttings this fall. Please send me a reminder! I plan to prune in November.
                                  Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

lowes buckets nice idea and wow what fat trees I have been fretting over little cuttings since november. some of the sips I placed on the floor of the lanai for termination....one sent out leaf. What gives. Remember I am newbie starting from scratch. If I had those trees looking like that I would hop nude around pool on one foot in joy. LOL Joyce

Comment

I still have a few trees in deep sleep. I know they're still alive but there's no activity like bud swelling or Breba forming. The branches are still flexible and green when scratched. I'm sure they will waken but very doubtful they will be able to ripen any figs when they do. My Panache just broke bud 3 days ago so with the long time it takes to ripen there's an extremely slim chance I will get to taste them : ( All the other trees are doin great with figs forming. It's just few of the problem children who aren't co-operating.
                                      Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
                                      Tony
                                      Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

Joyce those aren't fat trees this is a fat tree

Name:	IMG_1071 copy.JPG
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	22303

This one is my baby Italian Honey this tree puts out so many figs and they taste unbelievable

Name:	IMG_1069 copy.JPG
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	22305

Wish List -

Comment

Tony where are you located?
                                          Wish List -

Comment

Dave, I'm about 25 miles northeast of Pittsburgh.
                                            Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
                                            Tony
                                            Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

Hey Dave. Your trees look awesome and I love the look of them in the blue Lowes buckets. Mine look like bums in all kinds all color and size containers lol.Well done bud. Well to get back on topic, I had gifted a four foot LSU purple airlayer to a friend a couple of years ago. He planted it in ground and then winter 13-14 hit and killed the poor thing to the root. I lost touch with my friend until yesterday . I bumped into him at the store and I of course asked about the fig! He replied that it never came back since the "bad " winter but it is still there! We drove by his place and it looked deader than dead. I cut it down to an inch above ground level and it was light and dead. We started to dig it up and the roots were badly infected with nemsalso so I think it was a combo of cold and nemsalso that did it. A surprise since this variety is supposed to be highly resistant to them but it was planted in pure sand and granite chips,mostly left over debrie from the house construction. As we dug about a foot below surface we found three root suckers popping up from way down there. Maybe you should just wait it out and see what happens with yours. If the roots feel solid you never know! You could even dig gently through the root ball and c if there's any sign of life. Best of luck.

Comment

Dave/Chrisk, my last in ground Lebanese Red finally had a leaf bud pot out from the stub almost at ground
                                                level yesterday. I did dig up two others that did not show any signs of life and they had nothing in the roots
                                                for me to believe they would be coming back. So out of 36 in ground trees over the past winter, on 3 did
                                                not survive. They were a Black Madeira that I never thought would make it, a Col de Dame Noir that
                                                surprised me that it did not make it and a Lebanese Red that I was sure how it would do. All in all I am ok
                                                with it since I have another of each one.
                                                newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

I left Colorado on Sunday (06.14) and the last tree I am expecting to break dormancy had two small buds breaking. I have six trees which I'll be (happily) surprised if they grow.
                                                  Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
                                                  N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

• COGardener
                                                    COGardener commented
                                                    Editing a comment
                                                    How long will you be in Austin?

• Bijan
                                                    Bijan commented
                                                    Editing a comment
                                                    I'm in Chicago until Sunday or Monday.
                                                Working...
                                                X