X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most vigorous cutting of the year?

What are everyone's most vigorous cuttings of the year? Mine is Atreano, filling in nicely to a 10 gallon pot. Just gave it a good shot of fertilizer, leaves are looking a little light due to all the rain last week. I'm hoping it'll give a fig or two this year, but no figlets yet. Fioroni di Ruvo is a close second.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

I've got a few that are off to great starts. Adriatic JH has grown well. Bass's Brooklyn white has been pretty vigorous as well. From UC Davis, Excel is my champion. 3 cuttings split in half, and 5 out of the 6 are my 5 biggest plants from the UC Davis batch.

The one true champion of the figlet brigade? Sitcelis. Dunno much about it, but it grows like an absolute weed. Next closest is about half its size. I expect it to be 4-5 feet tall minimum by the end of the summer.
    Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      My Excel last winter was a super grower, I planted it out a few weeks ago to see how hardy it is.

CDDN from Marius. What a nice guy he sent me this cutting after a possible mix up on a purchase I made. He sent me cuttings of a few prized varieties and I thank him again.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Bournabatt....hands down...jumped out of the pot and dug in it's heels....short 3 node cuttings and all took rapidly

with a local heirloom unknown close behind
      Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Vigorous? Not here, cuttings are having a tough year this go around. I'm getting some new varieties going but nothing is exploding so far.
        Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
        Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• Bijan
          Bijan commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Calvin,

How long ago did you start your cuttings?

• cis4elk
          cis4elk commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Bijan,

Quite a while ago. Some in January, which started well..but then I killed most of them by attempting to bottom water. Some in Feb, and some in March.

Initially, Salem White was the most vigorous grower. Since I've moved all my cuttings outdoors, RdB, Conadria, and Scott's Black seem to be quickly catching up.
        Johnny
        Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

An northern Italian unknown called "Madina" has put on the most growth so far.
          Steve
          D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
          WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

No superstars this year. Still finding the Mt Etna cultivars to be among the easiest to root and easily among the earliest most productive of fruit.
            Tony WV 6b
            https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

• brettjm
              brettjm commented
              Editing a comment
              So odd. All of my mt etnas were very difficult to root. hardy chicago took awhile, as did an unk mt etna variety. MS VS Black? FOREVER to root, and slow growing. Guess it depends on the cutting

• mountainfigs
              mountainfigs commented
              Editing a comment
              Usually my rooting medium is on the slightly too moist side. Maybe that helps with rooting Mt Etnas but that's sheer speculation. It may hurt my ability to root Ronde de Bordeaux, with which I've had less success. But again, sheer speculation.

I have to preface my input with a Caveat, which is that every single cutting I rooted (13) have at some point shown some sort of difficulty. That said, the early champion was Texas BA-1, and oddly enough, Ischia Black (UCD). Both have slowed down of late, although the Ischia Black has shown signs of returning to growth recently. One more honorable mention: Planera MP, which has shown some large, almost mature leaves and resumed nice growth after a bumpy ride.
            Last edited by Rafaelissimmo; 06-10-2015, 03:21 PM.
            Rafael
            Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Rafael
              Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Here's a couple of unknowns that were rooted over the winter. You can see the size compared to the 5 gal bucket and the 2nd one is in a 15 gal container. I had a couple others that rivaled these and they were Genovese Nero, Rockaway Green, and JH Adriatic.
                The fig is a not so nice looking JH Adriatic that was rooted this winter. It didn't get that typical dark red inside, due to growing under lights and a month in the greenhouse. Surprisingly it wasn't that bad.
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
                Art
                Western Pa -6a

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
                  Rafaelissimmo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pretty amazing Art!

• cis4elk
                  cis4elk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow Art, that is impressive.

• kubota1
                  kubota1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks guys.

My most vigorous one this year is White Triana. Rooted it in November and it is about 3 feet tall already.
                Otmani - Dallas, TX - Zone 8a
                Wish List: Col de Dame Blanche, Brogiotto Bianco, Sicilian White, Panache

Comment

The Unknown Owensboro cuttings from William Saxon are my best growers. I started them around the first week or two in March this year and all three took off. They quickly filled up the cup with roots and I moved them to one gallon pots. The new sprouts are 14-15 inches tall beyond the origin cutting. This week two had roots growing out of the bottom of their one gallon pots. They showed a beautiful web of roots girdling the pots when I moved two of them up to five gallon pots today. Other cuttings are close to their height, such as Barada, Battaglia, Sucrette, and El Molino, but this UO variety is my best consistent performer so far. I hope it’s as good a tasting fig here in SoCal as people posted it was in the SE.
                  Mara, Southern California,
                  Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

My fastest rooters were Smith and Hollier, which I started last month. They probably got a head start in the postal system, a couple cuttings came already showing root initials. After a couple weeks, some of them had roots touching the sides and bottoms of their coir cups.

Strangely enough, all my green cuttings seemed to root just as fast if not faster than hard cuttings. I'd heard they were less reliable rooters than hard cuttings, but that hasn't been the case in my limited experience. Here's a picture of an Adriatic-type (unknown) that I got from a neighbor. It's about 10 days after I started it rooting.

Sarah
                    Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

My Ponte Tresa hands down.
                      In fact both are really large but this one takes the crown.
                      Rooted in november and here's what it looks like today, over 4 ft tall.

Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
                      Zone 8B

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
                        Rafaelissimmo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        And such gorgeous, giant leaves Rob! What a difference to the small, diseased leaves on my many fmv crippled babies!

• Rob Ster 010
                        Rob Ster 010 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        PT is extremely vigorous and healthy Raf, not all my cuttings grow like these babies.
                    Working...
                    X