X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex Lite beba

Hey folks!!

Been a while. Finally feeling a bit better.

Very happy to be back.

Anyway I thought I'd post this;
    I was not thinking very clearly as I picked a very ripe lone beba off my only Alex Lite and ate it without taking photos or weighing. geeez

Well - just to report - it was a great fig. grn/yellow with amber pulp. Medium sized.

Glad your back and feeling better too Michael. Thanks for the report.
    Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
    Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

It's great that you got a ripe breba already. Mine don't seem to be anywhere close. In a couple months please us know how the main crop compares to the breba.
      Steve
      D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
      WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

Hello Michael,
        Glad to read that you are feeling better...

If that is an "Alex Light" that was "found" in the Bronx, it may instead be a Krmk Light, sorry for the mix up. The Alex Light was a grafted tree onto a Krmk Light rootstock. Some cuttings that went out were accidentally taken below the graft because I was not originally told that it was a grafted tree. The Alex Light tree died in the Polar Vortexes of Winter 2013. I posted the notification about the mix up at F4F last season.

The figs of Alex Light are actually dark, the breba are large, often striped with a dark purple blush, open eye and are much darker when exposed to full sun. Attached are photos of the breba of Alex Light (Dark figs) and Krmk Light (Yellow figs). Although the Krmk Light figs are good the Alex Light figs are one of the best tasting figs I've "found" in the Bronx and was in the top 3 for taste in my inventory.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Michael, good to see you feeling better and back on the forum.
          newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Pete,
            The beba I ate was a very light color. I'd call it yellow. It did not look anything like your photos. I guess waiting to see main crop might help. Ahh that part of growing that calls for patience. I will re-label today as "unknown" and hope main crop are good figs.

Comment

Thanks to you who welcomed me back.

Comment

Well, I welcome you back as well.
                Glad you are feeling a bit better.

Doug

Comment

Welcome back!
                  Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Welcome back Michael and glad you're feeling better.
                    Otmani - Dallas, TX - Zone 8a
                    Wish List: Col de Dame Blanche, Brogiotto Bianco, Sicilian White, Panache

Comment

Working...
                    X