X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuttings auction to benefit ourfigs.com

Due to the overwhelming generosity of forum members, I have a lot of cuttings in my fridge that I cannot possibly use. I believe I have at least 10 different varieties. They were all taken this past fall/winter so should still be viable. I checked with Wills and he was good with the idea of an auction to help defray the costs of this wonderful website.

This weekend I will get a list of all the cuttings I have. There are some very good ones, some unusual ones, and some popular ones. I will not tell any varieties until I have the entire list compiled. ;-) The auction will start Sunday evening, 6/14, at 8 PM EST and run exactly one week. Highest bidder pays Wills and I will ship the cuttings as soon as Wills lets me know they are paid for.

Disclaimer: these cuttings came from forum members, so I cannot guarantee they are the variety stated... but there is an excellent chance they are. Even so, mistakes can be made by the most careful people. They have been kept in the fridge in ziplock bags, with many of them also in plastic wrap, but that does not guarantee viability. Thanks to all of you who gave me cuttings - I would love to grow them all out but I am overwhelmed with what I have.

This is a great opportunity for newbies to get a lot of cuttings to try out in a hurry.

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions to make this a better auction.
    Phil
    Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Great idea! Let's start the bidding!
    Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

Very nice of you Phil

Comment

Great idea! I am always up for an auction.
        Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Very generous of you my friend.
          Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
          1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
          2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Very generous, Phil. Are you selling them as one lot or variety packs with different cuttings in each pack?
            Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Thank you Phil, very generous of you and is appreciated.

It is good timing as well as I just received the notice that the forum cost is going up due to the increased bandwidth.
              Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Phil and Members, I have All nine of my original Papa Bi39 trees spoken for and taken except one that I was saving to trade something special with someone. But I feel this is most important and "Special trade" for me to help WillsC keep all of us together, talking and helping each other and not take money out of Will's pocket for our use. So if you would except my addition into your auction bundle I will be more than happy to send the winning bidder My last tree priority mail and I will pay postage. Thank you for all you help and advice My Cugino WillsC

Comment

• fitzski
                  fitzski commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'd be interested in bidding on your last tree. The Vasilika Sika i got from Hershel's auction is doing great.

I not hear back from Phil yet as to if he want to include my tree into auction or not. If he want to I rather one auction because is for same cause. Or if anyone think of better way I am open for idea.

Comment

• fitzski
                  fitzski commented
                  Editing a comment
                  i vote for two separate auctions. I don't need anymore cuttings right now but could always use 1 more fig tree . It's up to You, Phil and Wills though.

He's probably just way from the computer but still logged in. He will respond, just give him time.
                Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Great idea Phil. Thank you!
                  Rafael
                  Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Ok. Grazie for you interest my friend.

Comment

I vote with Fitzski....think it would just be less confusing. Very nice of you Mike
                      Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Very generous Phil.
                        Bill - Long Island, NY 7a
                        Wish List: Glacia Negra and any fig from Bari.

Comment

Have I been sleeping or what? I really need some more dormant cuttings. Need-want-whatever
                          Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

You are welcome Will. Is my pleasure. Ok I will make separate auction post when I get home from job. Brutal day today

Comment

Can we start yet?
                              Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Should I wait for Phil auction to end? He was first

Comment

Mike,

That probably would be best in my opinion.

Comment

• Hershell
                                    Hershell commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Wills, just because I forgot about the ebay auctions that I was bidding on last week don't mean that I can't bid on two at one time. I would like for the cuttings to be auctioned by variety. More auctions- more money,and more shipping cost I guess but it would spread them out to more enthosiests (hoarders) lol. Just my .02 oh and thanks Phil! ( a cutting is a terrible thing to waste)

Ok, I hope I touch on everything... I plan on one lot for the cuttings - some varieties I only have one cutting, so I think its best to have just one lot. Winner take all.

Taverna, I think separate would be better, both for the winner and for the website, and it appears you came to the same conclusion.

And yes, I leave my home computer on all day... so I am logged on but am not around. And it's been a crazy busy week.
                                  Phil
                                  Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

Ok when tis auction end I start mine

Comment

Wills, have you thought of putting a 'donate' button on the forums to help defray the cost? Maybe it has already been discussed, but I think many of us would be happy to chip in.

Jeff

Comment

I agree. Then Hershell "Funny Man" won't have the shakes if we don't start auction right away! Ahahahah
                                        Ti amo Hershell
                                        Buon A notte

Comment

Originally posted by farowyn View Post
                                          Wills, have you thought of putting a 'donate' button on the forums to help defray the cost? Maybe it has already been discussed, but I think many of us would be happy to chip in.

Jeff

Jeff,

I have considered it and it is in the forum software to add a donate button BUT when I said in the beginning this is the communities forum and not mine I meant it. That is why I have never even mentioned when I put figs on Ebay or posted a link to them or tried to sell any publicly on the board. Members are welcome to do that btw...but because appearances matter I haven't done so.

So far the forum has not cost me anything except a lot of hours of my time thanks to the generosity of Hershell and Frank (FMD) for hosting auctions and to Fitzski and Mike (Newnandawg) who won those auctions to benefit the forum. Now Phil and Mike (Taverna) are going to do auctions as well. At some point may I have to rattle a can? Who knows the future, but with the group we have here I really doubt it.

Comment

• fitzski
                                            fitzski commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            Happy to help defray the monetary cost of running the site. If you need any other help related to the software side of things let me know. I've been in the industry for many many years.

Kevin

I hope all auctions generate enough money to compensate you correctly for your hours of work you put into tis site Will.
                                          Grazie again for a wonder website

Comment

• WillsC
                                            WillsC commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            Don't want compensated for my time That is my contribution. Heck I know Pete has invested more hours than I have.
                                        Working...
                                        X