X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown Turkey ?

I was at the dentist office this morning in Atlanta and looked out the back
    window of this old house which is well over 50 years old they moved into and
    saw this fig tree that was about 12-15 tall. I asked if they knew what type it was
    and of course, they did not. As you may suspect, I started talking about my
    hobby and before I left I was given all the cuttings I wanted. No pruning shears.
    No problem. They broke off pretty easy and I have them soaking in some water.
    From the looks of the leaves only, my guess is some form of Brown Turkey.
    See pics and lets hear your guesses.

Also, anyone had good success in rooting these green cuttings and if so how? The
    old way is to stick it in the ground and forget it.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Nice leaves. Might be a treasure! If you have more than enough, try a few methods. I'd probably try a 1 gallon pot with humidity dome (2 liter bottle) over the cutting.
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

As many have said, Bass has a great method for rooting summer cuttings on his sight.
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I'm with Frank, I've had good results with that method using a high peat based mix, but a high percentage Coir based mix could also be used. The Ray Givens video, https://youtu.be/z28Gsa5oHMw?t=165 provides the basic instructions as does Doug's 3 cup method (humidity dome), http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...rooting-method . Last year I placed several green cuttings on a porch in 1 gallon containers with 32 oz Perforated clear deli containers as domes. They were left undisturbed for most of the summer (no watering) most rooted. Good Luck.

Yes Bass' method is similar, http://www.treesofjoy.com/content/ro...d-fig-cuttings
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Are there figs on the tree? If so, what do they look like?
          Ray in Columbia, SC Zone 8

Comment

Ray, yes there were figs on the tree but very small due to neglect
            newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

I don't think it's BT. My leaves are more pointed. My vote would be Celeste.
              Ray in Columbia, SC Zone 8

Comment

I'm with Frank's method of rooting and Ray's guess.. the C word again. Lol
                good find Mike. That could make a trip to the dentist feel way more pleasent. Address please. Lol.

Comment

Ive been using moistened cocoa then humidity on green cuttings. However I tried to leave a bit of old wood at the base of each cutting. They are rooting very quickly this way.

Comment

Working...
                  X